aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Beer Festival... fun to be had?

Aye, the decent beers ran out far too quickly last night. Silly busy as well, so it took even longer to get served by the pissed barstaff.

Thursday night was the bollocks, as it was relatively quiet and there was a full selection of beers.

Going to have to go back again today though, as i've still got 10 of tokens :(

Yeah, last night was very disappointing.

I only stayed for one and a half before deciding it was worse than Exodus.

Thursday was one of the best nights I've had this year though so it balances out.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

It was stupid busy last night but it was a good laugh. I had a couple of Pale Ales, which where shit, then moved onto the dark stuff. Black Bear and Pinch Noggin were my favourites.

When we went in about 9 it took longer to get served than it did to drink your pint. Crazy busy, and by the time it quietened down all the beers were finished. The cider bit was literally empty by 9.00.

Good night though.

Well that's me back from a wee afternoon jaunt to spend the last of our tokens.Fully expected there to be a fully stocked selection, so that tonight would go without a hitch... boy was I wrong!!

There's about 10 ales available, as the other 80 or so have the 'FINISHED' label on them. Unfortunately they are the 10 least popular ales, which mean they are also fairly rank/bland. I settled on a few halfs of the Deeside Brude, since it was a low alcohol % and I hadn't eaten anything since the 3am mince and mealie pie from Thains. Also tried a few totally random ones that weren't that nice.

The ale festival has really been a victim of it's own success, where the weekend stock was nearly all gone by friday evening. Hopefully lessons will have been learned, and the stock levels will be significantly increased next year.

Guest idol_wild
The ale festival has really been a victim of it's own success, where the weekend stock was nearly all gone by friday evening. Hopefully lessons will have been learned, and the stock levels will be significantly increased next year.

I think you're absolutely spot on, Ross. Thing is, the good ales ran out really quickly last year...and the year before that, yet they still don't address the issue of stocks running out. Frustrating. I actually felt a bit ripped off after last night. Good atmosphere and all that, though. Just a shite selection of remaining ales.

Was there on Friday and disappointed to the max: as mentioned, all good beers (and all cider) sold out by 9pm and having to que the distance between two pillars just to get to the bar was just silly, and made drinking half-pints undesirable.

I think the Thursday will have to be the plan for next year, unless they draw it out over a week or something to combat the insanity of a busy Friday night.

• 3 months later...
I ended up finding the notes that we'd made throughtout the night. Stand out note was "Crap but more quaffable than Tennents"

Best recommendation is by far Black Isle Scoth Ale. It's amazing.

Other than that, I've forgotten the notes, so am not much help. Wish I could go again tonight.

The note we had for Scotch Ale was "Tasty Fruitcake", I remember that one. That was a fun night. Running into Moorings singing "Moorings, punt a c*nt" and then you, Stu, and Kyle running across the bar in your boxers at closing. Fun times.