aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Beer Festival... fun to be had?

Very tempted to join this expedition. It is my post-exam period after all and the weather has been so nice to us. . . What harm can a few nice refreshing, half-pint-sized beers do?

:bat:

The state of me last night is a testament to what this weather can do to a person.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much is (on average) it for a pint at this?

I seem to recall it was ranged between 1.10 - 2 for a half pint. Most were about 1.30 and you usally got more than a half pint.

The sheets of beer tokens were divided up with the smallest denomination to being 5p so generally everything can be paid with exact 'change' with the tokens and I think change might be given, i can't remember.

At the end of the festival you can donate any remaining beer tokens to some charity.

Some of the stuff runs out before the end but even then there is still going to be more than you can realisticly try.

"Trade Winds" by Cairngorm brewery was delicious and had a light fruity and elderberry aroma that I could smell from a distance! A perfect beer. Easily my top recommendation so far.

You should check out all of Highlands' beer. Orkney Best, Orkney Blast - all good.

Yeah I had one cider and it was a bit heavy for my tastes, but I can't complain about the beers as they went down beautifully all night.

Guest idol_wild
"Trade Winds" by Cairngorm brewery was delicious and had a light fruity and elderberry aroma that I could smell from a distance! A perfect beer. Easily my top recommendation so far.

This sounds like my cup of, err, beer. I shall seek it out tonight for sure. :up:

Little to no hangover today, thanks to sticking to the Blondes :)

Heading back tonight and i'll probably be going through the same ones I tried last night; all amazing.

Black Isle - Scotch Ale - recommended by Teabags, keep an eye out for it's 6.4% kick!

Harviestoun - Natural Blonde - lovely

Harviestoun - Schiehallion - went down like water, but make sure you pronouce it correctly!

Houston - Festival - Amazing

Isle of Skye - Summer Blonde - Quite weak but v.nice

Yates - Fever Pitch - Also quite weak but v. nice

Going to try the Cairngorm - Trade Winds tonight, in addition to the Isle of Skye - Hebridean Gold

I tried these last night (between myself and my better half):

Bay one:

Belhaven Fruit Beer (wasn't so keen)

Belhaven 60/- (sub-par)

Altlas Equinox (good!)

Bay four:

Highland Orkney Blast (definitely one of my favourites)

Fyne Ales - Sumerled (okay)

Bay six:

Little Valley Ginger Pale Ale (really enjoyed this one)

Orkney Dark Island Reserve (wonderful, but so potent. Lovely aroma. Limited quantities, plus had to wait most of the night for it to settle and be ready to serve - But well worth the wait. It clings to the glass like treacle)

Bay seven:

Orkney Raven (very drinkable)

Bay eight:

Strathaven Ales Avondale (good)

Bay nine:

Valhalla Old Scatness (good, but I remember this one having a weird green tinge)

I ended up finding the notes that we'd made throughtout the night. Stand out note was "Crap but more quaffable than Tennents"

Best recommendation is by far Black Isle Scoth Ale. It's amazing.

Other than that, I've forgotten the notes, so am not much help. Wish I could go again tonight.

Aye, the decent beers ran out far too quickly last night. Silly busy as well, so it took even longer to get served by the pissed barstaff.

Thursday night was the bollocks, as it was relatively quiet and there was a full selection of beers.

Going to have to go back again today though, as i've still got 10 of tokens :(