aberdeen-music

Bands Atempting To Book Tours. o_O

Fraser Mac

Guest idol_wild
I think if i were to book a "Tour" i would call up a few venues and ask for support slots around the time we would be most available to play there and whilst at that gig promote the fuck out of our band in hope that if you throw enough mud, some will stick and people might actually go home with the demo and go on your Myspace and at least remember your name well enough that they might come along to your gig next time your playing near by.

Not put "BOOKING TOUR!!!" all over the Myspace and get whatever empty venue gig you possibly get. even then i don't think that plan would work very well unless the band you've managed to support has a pretty good name for themselves in that particular area.

Why would you contact the venue? The venue itself won't look to advertise and promote your music. Just look at venues in Aberdeen - Sanfu aside, the venues have proved that their in-house promotion is either half-assed or non-existent.

Contact promoters. Promoters geared towards the style of music you play. And I always think you can tell a good promoter from a bad promoter purely by their myspace page. If you get a booking via the right promoters, you'll never ever play to an empty room.

I noticed this too. At first I was kind of excited because I thought people might start going down the 'Hope Con' kind of route (i.e. no breakdowns, not too much machismo etc). WRONG! It's all that and more, i fucking hate it.

Wait 'til you hear my and Scotty's hardcore band... ;) & :D

yeah the people who have latched onto the hardcore thing is a right pain in the ass. There is no passion, nothing to say (which is what it was all built on) and its all just bullshit, tough guy wank.

"caught in time so far away, from where our hearts really wanted to be!"

I'm really sorry but HAHAHA, theres a difference between being a cunt and not being a cunt. The discussion about these apparantly fake US dates and a HUGEEEEEE tour we also apparantly had planned have been discussed over and over, i think everyones slightly bored...

also its clearly been stated this is not about us so... point? general discussion and all but even im bored of discussing my own band!

and also i dont think you can comment on 'bigging yourself up' as Marionettes have only done 1 tour with like 4 or 5 dates? so your post there makes you sound like your a well established full time touring band when your not? but fair enough you have another one planned and atleast your getting out there.

anyway I'd say this thread is directed at Saikano or Ramsey.

You get very upset bearing in mind you don't even like toxic distortion ;)

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/feedback-forum/53005-toxic-distortion-aberdeens-most-know-hair-metal-band-5.html#post706296

Anyway back onto touring...

It's great if you can do it - whatever age, we've found that the best bet is to try and grab 4 or 5 dates as a support often, as you might get paid and in cases of bigger bands get to sleep on the tourbus, ideal for not spending loads on accomodation :) It's also nice to get to play some bigger gigs in places away from Aberdeen. It can be very demoralising going and knowing you're paying a lot to get out their touring and fhen finding you are playing to 12 disinterested people, it's also a good way of creating a fanbase.

We've found the best way to do this is to just email people from management companies, the bands themselves, try to get them to solicite a cd and then hope they like it, 99% of the time it won't work, but it's well worth it for the vibe on the 1% of the time that someone might give you a gig and you find yourselves playing to an audience somewhere other than Abedeen that really like you. Another tip is generally be as nice as you can to everyone because you'd be amazed how many people will remember that and will put you forward for something else, the drum tech on one tour Jo was on put her forward for another few supports elesewhere and when she did that the guy she was supporting had to pull out of a bigger support he was doing and recommended her as a replacement, leading to over 30 dates with one act over a 3 or 4 year period. Also be prepared to lose money on some tours gigs as chances are you'll make money on others, all are important and treat playing to 3 people the same as you would playing to 1000. All these things worked for Jo through the years and we did OK out of it, so well worth a shot :)

cheers

Stuart

• Upvote 1

yeah i agree with you.

So many bands do it these days. Regardless of the fact that its popular there is absolutely no passion in what they do, at least from what I hear.

Thats why Uncalm are a breath of fresh air, they actually have something to say.

Same with Ablach (not hardcore though obviously, but they have something meaningful to say)

what kinda bands would be described as hardcore now a days? Can anyone name me some bands who you would put into this genre, just out of pure interest really.
These, at least to me anyway...

PLAGUE MASS on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

DIE YOUNG (TX) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

TRAP THEM on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Incidentally Plague Mass and Die Young are touring soon adn looking for Scottish gigs. ANyone interested in putting them on? I might do it, but may need a hand...