aberdeen-music

Bands Atempting To Book Tours. o_O

Fraser Mac

Like I say, the only 'hardcore' bands i listen to are prolly The Hope Conspiracy (after seeing them live) and Converge. Both do hardcore the way I feel it should - no nonsense, no silly haircuts, no break/beatdoons and not too much unnecsassary toplessness. Converge have been around for forever and they come out with No Heroes a few years ago which is essentially in my eyes) a pretty straight forward hardcore release and it still doesn't sound tired.

Also, what I've heard of Botch ids pretty inspiring, I need to stop being pissy about money and listen to the properly.

All this talk makes me want to be in a harcore band. I agree that uncalm are a nice change from the usual scenery.

i wish more bands sounded like shook ones instead of a day to remember.

This. Love Shook Ones.

They toured with Sinking Ships a few years back, who attract that Nike Dunkz, EdgexTilxDeath type audience. I went to the Manchester leg where bunch of local tough guy nutters ended up ruining great punk rock with their Sports Metal dancing. The support band "Pulling Teeth" (and that doesn't narrow it down because there seems to be about 5 HC bands with that name) got a bit annoyed at the lack of slam pitting, or whatever, so the singer lunged fists first into everyone in the front row numerous times. The stupid bell end was wearing brass knuckles, because he's so fucking tough, and I took one right in the ribs. Urgh. Hardcore is fucking stupid.

Shook Ones were ace though. Even though I had to lean against the wall the whole time because I got totally pwn3d!

To be honest, Aberdeen isn't a musical city in any way at all - so few people go to gigs generally, regardless of the quality of the stuff on offer (both touring and local acts). It is by far the most musically apathetic city I have ever attended/played/promoted gigs in. I don't think any band should use their crowd pulling ability in Aberdeen as a gauge of how well their stuff will go down elsewhere. If you book via the right promoters, then you'll play to the right crowds who will probably like the music. Speaking from personal experience, people always respond to live music better in other towns and cities.

There are a lot worse places for music than Aberdeen in the UK, A LOT.

step forward COVENTRY, LANCASTER, CARLISLE et al

+ Leicester, etc.. Certainly. I think people look at cities/towns in a manner that's a little too absolute. You need to look at proportions/locations, etc. I mean, people say that Leeds is a fantastic place for music, for example (don't get me wrong, I like Leeds...), but when compared to Aberdeen, for example, Leeds is about 3 1/2 times the size, and is a lot closer to other cities/towns, which makes any 'scene' a bit easier to sustain. Even in that case, people I know in Leeds always complain about gigs in the area. I was at Stag and Dagger there last week for example, and it was hardly busy... I've said it before, but Aberdeen more than punches above it's weight in terms of music (and other areas, really!) - anyway, even if it WAS the worst place in the UK for music, complaining certainly doesn't help in the slightest!

tis true.

I like Aberdeen but it suffers from berks who shit on their own doorstep having never left the garden.

Dundee is chronic for it, the amount of people who slag it off here then fuck off elsewhere only to realise that it's their life that they don't like as opposed to the city they live in.

I moved here and I really like it. I reckon I'll be here for at least another 4 years

I moved to Aberdeen 3 years ago and still like it, but it is pretty small like. Also on topic about hc you just don't get bands like Terror or Madball anymore :( Hardcore has become such a generic term for all sorts of metal these days, every record has become predictable and alot of bands have all started going down the route of changing the formula by making things.. different.

Don't diss breakdowns! If executed well there's the odd brilliance. I'll just stick to my death metal these days haha.

There's still plenty of original good ideas in hardcore. You just need to look. Okay, so there's more shit bands now than a while ago but there's still genius out there. Look at what boxed in did. Fucking amazing. Whole in the head? The process? Fuck, iron lung have been doing it for years and can still boast to be one of the most original.

People need to look deeper into scenes internationally to find the diamond in the ruff. Backstabbers INC is a good place to start.

Also, my definition of what bands are hardcore might be a bit wider than secret people, but fuck it. It's all crucial music!

The trouble for me personally is that so many gigs I want to go to are on on completely unsuitable nights, i.e. Sunday - Thursday. I have to rise at 6 for work so being at gigs till gone midnight is just a non-starter unless it's something I REALLY want to see. I don't think my interest in music can be questioned given how much cash I spunk on CD's every month, unfortunately there are practicalities that prevent me getting to as many gigs as I would like to.

I think Aberdeen suffers in part from too many gigs every other night and while the gigs may only be 4/5 quid entry, that adds up when your key demographic may not be that well off, especially given the current state of affairs financially. So if everyone has to pick and choose they may just be doing so on different nights.....

There's nothing wrong with hardcore. If it's not your cup of tea, don't listen to it. If you aren't into what Aberdeen has to offer, don't go to the gigs. Aberdeen doesn't have a huge hardcore scene unfortunatly, but I'll support the hardcore as much as I can, as it can always use the help, and that's how it can grown, even if it's one person at a time. Hardcore is about having fun and playing and singing about what you believe in. Not every "hardcore" band has to have lead guitar and solos over breakdowns. The term hardcore is over used now, but it still stands for something, and probably always will, as does metal. Hardcore is in the same boat as metal. Hardcore started as something, and is now something different than it was, like metal, look at the 70's stuff, like Sabbath, metal doesn't sound like that no more.

And I think what Honor Over Glory is a good thing, and I'll wear the stuff he has, not cause it's the in thing in hardcore, but because he has some cool designs, just needs to restock more often! If the dude that is making the HOG stuff is using the hardcore scene to promote his merch, then fair dos! Everyone starts somewhere, look at Johnny Cupcakes, he started out as the keyboardist for On Broken Wings, and sold his shirts through touring and word of mouth spread, and now look at him(if you know what Johnny Cupcakes is) he's a multimillionaire having major clothing companies chasing him to buy his franchise, and it all started out as him just selling shirts at his bands shows and from the back of his beat up car.

At the end of the day, music is supposed to be fun. If touring is what you and your bandmates want to do, do it! If playing gigs locally is what you want, do it! If you just like going to gigs, keep going. It's keeps the scene alive.

Anyways, those are some of my opinions on the past 13 pages I just read, and what I wanted to share my opinion.