aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Venues

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild
Now that I think about it tiger tiger got in touch with one of our staff about us putting on their band nights, But this was maybe 2/3 months ago.

It will be decent having a venue of almost same size as moshulu in aberdeen accepting indie bands.

I'm absolutely not having a go at you here; I'm merely quoting this as it represents one existing point of view.

But I'm thinking that Aberdeen actually needs one or two much smaller venues and I am wondering if this may spark some sort of discussion. Personally, I think this city would benefit massively from a venue with a capacity of 80-120 with a respectable PA system and a good sound engineer and no obstacles being placed upon independent promoters, bands and DJs. I think almost everyone would agree that having, say, 100 people in a 120 capacity venue is better than 150 in a 300 capacity venue.

This Tiger Tiger thing, to me, just reeks of absolute failure. Liquid tried exactly the same thing about a year ago and it fell flat on it's face before you could complete the sentence "this is actually a stupid and terrible idea." I don't necessarily mean to be negative about this particular proposal, but there is already Drummonds, The Tunnels (with two rooms!), The Lemon Tree and Moshulu - all ranging between capacities of around 300 and 750 (approximately - I'm sure a pedant or someone in the know will be keen to correct me on that front) who are all very keen to put on local indie bands. And do Tiger Tiger seriously expect a lot of people to turn up to these gigs? Local indie bands don't get big crowds at any other venue, so why would it change in Tiger Tiger? I wish the idea well and hope that it does succeed, of course.

If only Cellar 35 was more suitably situated and possessed a good sound system. Maybe Origin should put itself out there a bit more for gigs?

I'm not trying to be negative here - just putting across a point of view and I hope to generate a discussion.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely not having a go at you here; I'm merely quoting this as it represents one existing point of view.

But I'm thinking that Aberdeen actually needs one or two much smaller venues and I am wondering if this may spark some sort of discussion. Personally, I think this city would benefit massively from a venue with a capacity of 80-120 with a respectable PA system and a good sound engineer and no obstacles being placed upon independent promoters, bands and DJs. I think almost everyone would agree that having, say, 100 people in a 120 capacity venue is better than 150 in a 300 capacity venue.

This Tiger Tiger thing, to me, just reeks of absolute failure. Liquid tried exactly the same thing about a year ago and it fell flat on it's face before you could complete the sentence "this is actually a stupid and terrible idea." I don't necessarily mean to be negative about this particular proposal, but there is already Drummonds, The Tunnels (with two rooms!), The Lemon Tree and Moshulu - all ranging between capacities of around 300 and 750 (approximately - I'm sure a pedant or someone in the know will be keen to correct me on that front) who are all very keen to put on local indie bands. And do Tiger Tiger seriously expect a lot of people to turn up to these gigs? Local indie bands don't get big crowds at any other venue, so why would it change in Tiger Tiger? I wish the idea well and hope that it does succeed, of course.

If only Cellar 35 was more suitably situated and possessed a good sound system. Maybe Origin should put itself out there a bit more for gigs?

I'm not trying to be negative here - just putting across a point of view and I hope to generate a discussion.

nope, totally agree with you. Aberdeen misses a Dr. Drakes (which is a shame because if it was open now, it would probably stay). Aberdeen does need a few smaller venues and a few better bands :up:

I know what you mean. Cellar 35 isn't very realistic for putting on certain bands when you need 60-70 to break even but it sucks playing to a room that looks empty. Plus, for for GFN that appeals to a very tiny audience, it's almost impossible to get a weekend at The Tunnels. We'd previously use East Neuk but theyve stopped doing gigs. Plus it was a hellhole.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I've got to agree with Phil here.

I wish Tiger Tiger every success with this venture, and hope they can pull it off, but as Phil says the local bands (on the whole) struggle to pull decent crowds. If you get about 50 folk to come specifically to see your band I'd say you're doing quite well, so if you get 4 bands that pull 50 each you're only at 200, and 200 in a 500 capacity venue looks a little empty really.

I'd personally rather play in a tiny venue that was full than a massive one which was half empty.

Off the top of my head, I think the Aberdeen venue capacities are this (well, what I've been told by each venue anyway):

Moshulu - 650

Lemon Tree - 600

Tunnel 1 - 360

Drummonds - 350

Tunnel 2 - 350 (?)

Snafu - 350

Moorings - 180 (?)

Cellar 35 - 80

A couple of much smaller venues would work much better than another massive venue, but like I say, I really hope I'm proved wrong.

I think it's a real shame that Malt Mill ripped out their PA system - it's 150 capacity, and with a decent PA system in place would be a good place for a gig. I put on a fundraiser there last year, with a hired PA which turned out be totally garbage, but it was still a good night, and we sold all the tickets, so it was completely packed. I'm considering doing more gigs there to be honest, just with a decent PA instead of the bucket of shit we got last time. The venue is free to hire, so I'm sure they'd be happy with 50+ folk coming in and buying their beer etc.

We played Liquid once and it was fucking brilliant....random but yet rammed. Thursday night but they looked after us well and the students were loving it.

I think Tiger would work initially as people go to Tiger Tiger regardless what is on, people don't just "go" to the Tunnels IMO - they usually go for the actual gig or the clubnight.

If the crowds get less and less i could see Tiger pulling the plug pretty quickly however they have good money to put behind it i would imagine and it at least deserves a chance....(specially on the 29th of May ;)!!!)

I agree with Phil for the most part but for bands like ourselves, we have more chance of getting people to Tiger Tiger than we do say Tunnels or Cellar 35. Just our "demograph" i suppose. However i think an acoustic set in the VIP in Tiger would be pretty cool.

Hope it works out as it seems Tunker is doing alot of work to get this up and running...

Yeh I completely agree with another smaller venue like cellar 35.

I think you would rather play a sell-out cellar 35 than 100 people at moshulu.

If you are a smaller band starting up and cant get support with a larger band then you are never going to get a spot in tiger or moshulu.

Is it just me or would you say tiger tiger has more of an electro / DJ feel than indie bands?

Yeh I completely agree with another smaller venue like cellar 35.

I think you would rather play a sell-out cellar 35 than 100 people at moshulu.

If you are a smaller band starting up and cant get support with a larger band then you are never going to get a spot in tiger or moshulu.

Is it just me or would you say tiger tiger has more of an electro / DJ feel than indie bands?

Its just pop music i'd say with old "skool" dance....with your odd Killers tune!

Off the top of my head, I think the Aberdeen venue capacities are this (well, what I've been told by each venue anyway):

Moshulu - 650

Lemon Tree - 600

Tunnel 1 - 360

Drummonds - 350

Tunnel 2 - 350 (?)

Snafu - 350

Moorings - 180 (?)

Cellar 35 - 80

A couple of much smaller venues would work much better than another massive venue, but like I say, I really hope I'm proved wrong.

The capacity of Tunnel 2 is about 200 because of the seating. I'm clearly biased, but Tunnel 2 is a decent place for a new night and for new promoters, as it has an intimate feel. It doesn't need to have a lot of people in it for it to feel busy.

The capacity of Tunnel 2 is about 200 because of the seating. I'm clearly biased, but Tunnel 2 is a decent place for a new night and for new promoters, as it has an intimate feel. It doesn't need to have a lot of people in it for it to feel busy.

I agree....We have a charity gig in Tunnels 2 next week and have sold about 130ish tickets (totally contradicts my last post however...) already and is a great venue, especially acoustic stuff. But i love Tunnel 2...had some great nights in there.

One of our first gigs was in Moshulu supporting a touring band that nobody had ever heard of. We ended up playing to 6 people. Trust me.... 6 people in a 700 capacity venue REALLY looks like 6 people.

The thing with Moshulu is it's seen much more as a "venue" rather than a bar. On gig nights in Moshulu the crowd are usually there to specifically see a band they know in advance are playing (pre-planned, tickets bought etc), whereas with the likes of Drummonds, Moorings and the Tunnels people are more likely to just wander in for a pint, and they'll find out who's playing when they get there.

If Moshulu was my baby I'd try to find some way to encourage boozers in the Bassment to go next door to see the bands, even opening up the door between the two and putting up some posters in the bar or something would help a little. They feel like two seperate entities at the moment and it puts people off just floating in there for a pint and to see what's happening.

Not a slight at Moshulu by the way, it's a great venue, but in some ways having the Bassment next door is it's own worst enemy.

Guest idol_wild

Tunnel 1 has seating too, and they're both the same size pretty much, so surely the capacity is more than 200? Especially now that the dressing room/storage box area on the right hand side has been removed.

I could be way off, of course :)

Tunnel 1 has seating too, and they're both the same size pretty much, so surely the capacity is more than 200? Especially now that the dressing room/storage box area on the right hand side has been removed.

I could be way off, of course :)

I was told by Hen that Tunnel 2 capacity is 350 (I think - certainly at least 300). I think this is absolute max capacity with tables and chairs taken out etc.

In response to Lucky on Moshulu and touring bands etc - I find it very very difficult to persuade people to come along and watch a band they've never heard of. On the whole the touring bands that play at Moshulu, Tunnels, Drummonds, wherever (i.e. not Music Hall or AECC) are bands that are less known and people that aren't necessarily into going and checking out new music but nevertheless like going to gigs when the "big" bands come to town, and will happily shell out 40 to go see Oasis, just won't be arsed to go to Moshulu to watch (for example) Good Books (just an example of a band we supported at Moshulu with very little in way of a crowd).

Some of these smaller gigs with lesser known bands are some of the best I've been to, but it's so difficult to persuade someone who's musical knowledge comes direct from listening to Radio 1 etc to come along and watch a band they've never heard of. They assume if they haven't heard of them, they can't be that good. This is why it is also very difficult to get folk to come along and watch local bands. People outwith the music scene seem to think if you're a good band you'll get "spotted" and get signed, and be on the Radio and stuff, so, again, if they've not heard of you, they'll assume you're no good.

I'm not claiming The Underkills are a spectacularly good band, but I've lost count of the number of times people have came up to me after a gig and said something like "you're actually really good" as if they were expecting us to be completely bollocks just cos we are an unsigned band, but had given in and came along to a gig because I'd bugged them about it for like 2 years...

Yeah I know what you mean, this is the reason I would advise any touring bands to play at Tunnels or Drummonds rather than Moshulu, as I mentioned people are more likely to just wander into Tunnels or Drummonds for a pint and watch the bands, regardless of who they are, which I don't think happens with Moshulu. Of course it may be because Moshulu is more expensive than other venues, that gig I mentioned above was 6 to see 3 unsigned, unknown bands.

ive always preferred the smaller venues, moshulu is very hard to fill unless you have a big name headline act, same for the lemon tree. One of the best gigs Stayover played was in Imagine, small place with no stage and we hired a shitty little PA but it was rammed and everyone was well up for the night. Kef was good to play as well it could look a lot busier than it was due to the size although it lost a bit of spark when they removed the balchony. Both drakes were fun to play, we have always missed them, there has never been a a venue to properly replace it. Moorings is the best avaliable up here i think, its always busy enough and the sound is ace, the booze is ace and flash looks like a pirate, what more could you want?

I do agree tho, we could do with a smaller venue for gigs, just cant think of any really good place that would be up for it.

Guest treader.
ive always preferred the smaller venues, moshulu is very hard to fill unless you have a big name headline act, same for the lemon tree. One of the best gigs Stayover played was in Imagine, small place with no stage and we hired a shitty little PA but it was rammed and everyone was well up for the night. Kef was good to play as well it could look a lot busier than it was due to the size although it lost a bit of spark when they removed the balchony. Both drakes were fun to play, we have always missed them, there has never been a a venue to properly replace it. Moorings is the best avaliable up here i think, its always busy enough and the sound is ace, the booze is ace and flash looks like a pirate, what more could you want?

I do agree tho, we could do with a smaller venue for gigs, just cant think of any really good place that would be up for it.

Yesssssss!!!!! With At Long Last and WSBB and WTW! That gig was fucking awesome.

Guest idol_wild
its about 175....

I'm not buying that, chief. I had 120-odd in there on Friday and it looked like it could easily take at least another 120. Probably a fair bit more.

I'm not buying that, chief. I had 120-odd in there on Friday and it looked like it could easily take at least another 120. Probably a fair bit more.

just going what i was told...we have a gig next week and have sold a fair few tickets, i always wondered too..thought it would have held more too. Maybe thats the Ned/daft blonde limit as he knows what our following is like?

hen beverly to me

show details Mar 21 (5 days ago) Reply

About 175 people .

hen

From: Steven Winton [mailto:steven.winton@googlemail.com]

Sent: 20 March 2009 16:21

To: hen beverly

Subject:

How much does tunnels 2 hold?

just going what i was told...we have a gig next week and have sold a fair few tickets, i always wondered too..thought it would have held more too. Maybe thats the Ned/daft blonde limit as he knows what our following is like?

hen beverly to me

About 175 people .

hen

Subject:

Aha! Just found my old message from Hen.

Tunnel 1 - 360

Tunnel 2 - 150

Drummonds - 350

This was before that cupboard/store room was removed, so 175 would probably be about right.

Bastard, I'm gutted that Steve was right.

Guest idol_wild

hen beverly to me

About 175 people .

hen

Subject:

I'll consider myself owned then. Straight from the Horse's mouth!

Yeah I know what you mean, this is the reason I would advise any touring bands to play at Tunnels or Drummonds rather than Moshulu, as I mentioned people are more likely to just wander into Tunnels or Drummonds for a pint and watch the bands, regardless of who they are, which I don't think happens with Moshulu. Of course it may be because Moshulu is more expensive than other venues, that gig I mentioned above was 6 to see 3 unsigned, unknown bands.

Most bands touring bands that end up playing in moshulu dont get a choice where they are playing as someone else does the booking.Agents will have the same venue that they use and the popularity of the band doesnt usually matter a monkeys, guarentees will get paid regardless of turnouts.Thats why you often get a band that could hardly get 50 folk going to see them in a 600 capacity venue, never fun to be involved in as a band or audience member, happens everywhere not just up here.

I dont think the off chance that people are going to walk past a venue and come in should really be a factor in picking a venue.One the shittest thing about drummonds is when a group of folk come in and refuse to pay to get in, wander in regardless and start being total cunts.(of course you do get the odd classic e.g. mini dancing with a middle aged women at hot club).