aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
hibbytam

new bass advice

I'm looking for a new bass, because my current one, a cheapo thing, has broken, and i want a nice shiny new one.

I'll have a few hundred quid to spend on it, but i'm not entirely sure what i'm looking for. The sort of music i play, ramones/clash etc,(as well as the copy-cat fan in me) makes me want a P-bass. And when i've played Jazz ones, i've not really felt it was the sound I wanted.

Anyway, yeah. Bass-ically.(yup, coat got) 2-300 on a bass, for someone who wants to sound something like Dee Dee Ramone and Paul Simonon.

Squier do a decent standard P-Bass copy for around 250 notes which I've heard nothing but good reviews for. From experience with the guitars, the high end Squier models are exceedingly impressive for the money spent.

2-300 on a bass, for someone who wants to sound something like Dee Dee Ramone and Paul Simonon.
Da think you'll get anything decent for 2. Could go to Aberdeen pawnbrokers and try tricking the auld wifey that its actually a very big soup spoon, but I reckon she'll have you sussed.

The new Squier Classic Vibe models look good for the money - decent looking bridges on them and nicely aged necks. The sonic blue 60s P looks particularly nice and can be picked up for about 230 notes online.

030-3070-572.JPG

Mmm.

If you're able to, you can get a Mexican Fender Precision for less than 400 if you shop around, should obviously be able to get one 2nd hand for less too. Better than Squier and better for selling on too.

If you're able to, you can get a Mexican Fender Precision for less than 400 if you shop around, should obviously be able to get one 2nd hand for less too. Better than Squier and better for selling on too.

This is what I would do.

I'd also agree with this. I was shopping for a Jazz bass last year and managed to get a deluxe Mexican model with active pickups, an upgraded bridge and a hard case on eBay for not much more than the cost of a high-end Squier. If you've got the patience you'll eventually stumble across a bargain, trust me.