aberdeen-music

Green Day working on punk rock opera/ concept album

Mouse

Interesting, I'm looking forward to this...

from the June 24 Rolling Stone - "American Idiot" due out Sept.

"We're writing nine minute epics, which is scary to think about" says Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong, after previewing the very long new song "jesus of suburbia." That track, broken into five different parts, is the centerpiece of the San Fran punk bands seventh studio album. American Idiot is, no joke, a concept album , or as Armstrong puts it a "punk rock opera." The band veered into this direction after working on a more conventional album, only to have the master tapes stolen from ther studio. Fortunately, the new tracks are as catchy as they are ambitious, recalling everything from Lou Reeds "New York" to Queen. Highlights include the nasty, media bashing title track to "St. Jimmy" a cool punk , rockabilly hybrid. Despite its lofty goals, idiot is still fun. "You know when your rocking out iun front of your mirror playing air guitar?", Says Armstrong. " I was trying to get that feeling going."

Could this be another ace band turned art-wank???

I hope it works out well - but opera, and air guitars infront of the mirror dont exactly go hand-in-hand. I also never thought i'd hear the day when someone told me a Green Day song would be over 5 minutes long...... As i said before - i hope it works. I also wander if they're recording with any sort of an orchestra, although 'punk' and orchestra; that's a pretty mean contrast....

Onion Terror

not really...it can still work...think of NOFX "The Decline"...slice of genius. I too have been writing a concept piece based on Vivalidi's 4 Seasons as well as a musical called Texan Apocalypse...if any of these will ever see the light of day remains to be seen...

Guest Stripey
Could this be another ace band turned art-wank???

I hope it works out well - but opera' date=' and air guitars infront of the mirror dont exactly go hand-in-hand. I also never thought i'd hear the day when someone told me a Green Day song would be over 5 minutes long...... As i said before - i hope it works. I also wander if they're recording with any sort of an orchestra, although 'punk' and orchestra; that's a pretty mean contrast....

[b']

Onion Terror

Whats art-wank? I reckon greenday could do with injecting a bit of art into their material. I don't think the blurb literally means they are going to be using opera either.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

although i think the dudes are past their best, this actually interests me - thier music has been getting more and more stale and uninspiring since insomniac, it would be great to get the punk influence back again. i also hope, entirely in vain, that the production is less polished than the god-awful 'warning'. anyone else think that modern rock production makes bands just sound tame?

although i think the dudes are past their best' date=' this actually interests me - thier music has been getting more and more stale and uninspiring since insomniac, it would be great to get the punk influence back again. i also hope, entirely in vain, that the production is less polished than the god-awful 'warning'. anyone else think that modern rock production makes bands just sound tame?[/quote']

agreed, which is perhaps why i prefer Pinhead Gunpowder

• 1 year later...
And remember' date=' The Network showed what Green Day can do when they want to open themselves up AND have fun, the two need not be mutally exclusive.[/quote']

Heh, browsing through old posts, funny how we never linked The Network with the alleged "stolen" album :rolleyes: at the time...in hindsight its easy to see why they ditched that album now....couldn't quite see it being the monster AI is