aberdeen-music

Flu

framheim

That isn't surprising - antibiotics have no effect on viruses, which both the common cold and influenza are.

Cold & flu can however make you more succeptable to bacterial infection - particularly chest infections & if that happens, antibiotics can be about the only thing that will shift them/prevent it becoming chronic.

Currently sniffling away with a mild cold here.

Covonia original & brandy up to now but the brandy ran out last night. Now on to the Grouse! :D

simply put, better than being dead...

Definitley! Seriously though, when you look at some of the things people have to put up with - terrible, terrible diseases like MS for example - then I actually find myself quite lucky "just" to have diabetes and asthma, even if things will get worse as time goes on. As you know, I've always been a "glass half full" kind of guy. :up:

Luckily I've not had the flu for about 3 years. Last time I did it was hell

Clothing

Clothing is important if you go outside because being cold weakens the immune system.

Layer your clothing, layers should have about 1cm of space between them which traps warm air. Try to go for tops with zips on the front so you can open/take them off easily if your too hot or cold. Wear Cotton, Linen, Wool or other natural fibres which allow the skin to breathe, most artificial fibres stop moisture getting outwhich can be extremely uncomfortable the outer layer can be artificial(for water/wind proofing). Wear a hat/gloves/wooly socks if you are outside, your head, feet and hands are those places which you lose most heat from.

Food

Good, healthy, nutricious food is cheap and easy to find. Eat plenty of onions, garlic, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, cucumber, oranges, kiwi fruit, grapefruit. You can buy all them to last you 2 weeks for under 10. They are full of nutrients which help strengthen the immune system.

Drink

You need to keep hydrated to aid your kidneys and liver in their work it will also stop you getting dry mouth which can lead to mouth ulcers especially with a weakened immune system. Try to get a teapot and find a low/no caffeine type of tea you like i'd recommend redbush and vanilla, warm flavoured water is easier to drink than cold unflavoured when your ill I find. During the winter months try to cut down on alchohol as it helps weaken the immune system it also make you more likely to do things such as kiss a girl who quite obviously is ill. Cut down on milk products because they can clog your throat with phlem and trap infections.

Smoking

Give it up, if only until you are well again. It can lead to complications such as bronchitis.

Bathing

Try to have a bath/shower every day this helps to keep bugs from incubating on your body(hair, skin, beard) It also makes you feel like a king/queen after feeling like shit for a few days. During the winter don't wash your hair with shampoo, this helps your hair to keep its warmth trapping properties.

I actually forgot about this this is actually my number 1 tip if you're ill.

Change your bed sheets every two days (or more). If you think about it, you're just sitting in your own germ farm. I guarantee if you spend the night in a clean bed, you'll feel miles better. It's my secret to shifting illness at lighting speed.

Funnilly enough, the last thing I did before going on a brandy, cough mixture & strepsil run just now was to dump all my bedclothes in the wash!

A hot bath & a clean bed does make you feel better. :)

I am suffering from a mild case of man flu (which is obviously at least 10 times worse than any cold that any women has ever had), so I've gone from having a very runny nose and sore head to having a bunged up nose and sore head. I think I am tough enough to get through it. I took the bus to work yesterday and was very self conscious not to sneeze on anyone.

Honey and Lemon (half a lemon, juiced, spoonful of honey and a mug of boiling water, stir and drink), and Benylin Night and Day (this is a life saver; trust) I should point out; Benylin Night and Day is like a million things in one; it stops you hurting, your nose running and generally feeling shit, then the night ones knock you out like no-one's business.

Also, Echinncea (sp?) taken in water (you get bottles of the stuff from Holland and Barretts) helps boost your immune system, but it does taste fucking horrible, so, well, I guess it's up to you.

I usually get a cold in Summer.

Doc on the radio recently, said that long-lasting colds are infections by different cold viruses one after another. Once you've had a particular version, you're immune. They have a saying in the surgery, if one of the staff gets a cold, oh, that's a new one!

And the flu is nothing like a cold, it's like spending Christmas offshore, alone, with David Cameron.

All the best!

Jim.

• Upvote 1

img2.jpg

For this purpose, please substitute 'Time (days)' with 'Sympathy (from loved one)', and 'Pure Cryptophycin (mg/L)' with 'Seriousness of Man 'Flu'.

As you can see, as the level of sympathy increases, in most cases the seriousness of the man 'flu is drastically reduced.

So listen up ladies - come on - do your bit.

img2.jpg

For this purpose, please substitute 'Time (days)' with 'Sympathy (from loved one)', and 'Pure Cryptophycin (mg/L)' with 'Seriousness of Man 'Flu'.

As you can see, as the level of sympathy increases, in most cases the seriousness of the man 'flu is drastically reduced.

So listen up ladies - come on - do your bit.

Ladies certainly should be sympathetic; 99% of women would probably be killed by whatever Dave Officer is/was battling.

Ladies certainly should be sympathetic; 99% of women would probably be killed by whatever Dave Officer is/was battling.

still battling :(

i feel like i'm through the worst of it now. wednesday was particularly shit and featured voice loss as an added bonus. i still haven't found my voice but i feel a bit more alive though my whole head now appears to be constructed from snot and i'm coughing up things of a frightening size.

the night nurse has aided my sleep alot and i think this is why i'm feeling a bit better. i'm not shivering as much and body isn't aching so much either.

my plan now is to spend the whole weekend in bed and be superhumanly fit for work on monday.

Guest idol_wild

I returned to work today after two days off. I don't think I've ever had the flu properly until this week.

On Tuesday night I slept fully clothed in my bed, duvet doubled over me, and I was still shivering relentlessly.

I still feel weak and my head is full of snot, but I have two days after today to recover.

i still haven't found my voice but i feel a bit more alive though my whole head now appears to be constructed from snot and i'm coughing up things of a frightening size.....

.....my plan now is to spend the whole weekend in bed and be superhumanly fit for work on monday.

Awesome! Can't wait for the weekend. :p

Fuck me... haven't been this sick in years. Been in bed since wednesday. Today has been the first day i'm managed to lift my head out of bed.

I've been waking up in the middle of the night absolutely soaked in sweat. It's been horrible. Thought i'd pished the bed the first time it happened... thankfully not ;)

Right, time to get back to bed......

Typically I have been feeling like death the past couple of days when tonight I was supposed to be out for a meal with my folks, since the only thing i've forced down today is a yoghurt i've had to pass on the meal, the thought of eating anything seafood like is making me feel quite ill and it's not the sort of place that dish up basic grub for fusspots....