aberdeen-music

MSN worst songs of 2008

Lemonade

I listened to it

kid rock has deffo used this aswell as the 'sweet home' for the song 'all summer long'

I enjoy listening to a bands take on someone else song but chopping bit here and there a releasing with you own lyrics nae so good

i like the lyrics of werewolf in london, however kid rock has spoiled it for me also

bad man

But all that pales when compared to the absurd rebirth of Queen (+ Paul "you know, the one who was in Free and Bad Company and sang that song All Right Now" Rogers). A band whose reputation was always disproportionate to their actual abilities, even when the only interesting member was still alive and the most talented member could still bear to play bass in their presence, were now a band who had the audacity to follow up the worst musical ever written (one day we'll topple that statue of Freddie in Tottenham Court Rd, just like they did Saddam) with a new album under the name Queen + Paul "who was also in The Firm but we can't remember any of their hits" Rogers, entitled The Cosmos Rocks (oh good grief!).

Queen + Paul "why didn't they just get George Michael to do it again because at least he can hit the high notes without sounding like he's straining out a poo" Rogers also released a single called C-lebrity (oh good grief!), damning our obsession with reality TV stars (oh good grief!) that was stuffed full of lyrical conceits as clumsy as a giant picking up pins, and sounded as joyless and stilted as a Gordon Brown-hosted Xmas party. They did not rock us.

This is brilliant, and bang on the money.

No, No and NO!

Take That are friggin' amazing. I didn't even like them first time round either they just grew on me as my love for music grew. You can't deny that their sounds are well written. *shakes fist*

It's pop genius in it's prime. Pure and simple.

I'm with Jan on this, Take That are seriously over-rated, I'm getting fed up of people jumping on this particular bandwagon.

If Gary Barlow's such a genius, why did he relase this banal solo effort? (Yes, I know he didn't write it, but if he's so amazing surely he could have written something better to release as a single)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E1r1JYbdqyE

• Upvote 1

Barlow doesn't work on his own in a commercial sense. He's basically a slightly chubby man on the wrong side of his 30's (boo hiss). He needs the rest of them for the dancing and putting on shows. Barlow sitting at a piano isn't as easy on the eye and Barlow sitting at a piano with 3 lean chaps, jumping around in stripey little shirts and lovely markies scarfs. The visuals are always important in the pop world.

I think you'll find I didn't call the aesthetics into question, rather his supposed songwriting abilities.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

That article's pretty good. This made me laugh out loud:

"If seventh album Dig Out Your Soul were a dog, the RSPCA would encourage you to shoot it in the face."

And I like Dig Out Your Soul - not as good as the early stuff by any stretch of the imganation, but still a good album, and they're live shows are still ace!

As for the Take That debate, I'm somewhere in the middle - some of their songs are pretty good, and others are well shit. Greatest Day is plain boring in my opinion, whereas Shine and Patience are good pop tunes. Same with some of the earlier stuff, tracks like Back For Good, It Only Takes a Minute etc are quite good, and............ I can't remember names, but some of the songs were quite shit.

Barlow can clearly write a good song, but can also write a shit one. Don't hold me to this, cos I haven't verified it, but someone once told me that he wrote songs for bands like Steps. That should be punishable by bollock kicking.

As for the Take That debate, I'm somewhere in the middle - some of their songs are pretty good, and others are well shit. Greatest Day is plain boring in my opinion, whereas Shine and Patience are good pop tunes. Same with some of the earlier stuff, tracks like Back For Good, It Only Takes a Minute etc are quite good, and............ I can't remember names, but some of the songs were quite shit.

Barlow can clearly write a good song, but can also write a shit one. Don't hold me to this, cos I haven't verified it, but someone once told me that he wrote songs for bands like Steps. That should be punishable by bollock kicking.

Have some rep. There's no question that he's written some good tunes, but some of the hyperbole being thrown about at the moment is well over the top. Calling Take That "pop genius in its prime" is ridiculous. As you correctly point out, some of their songs are howlers, but this seems to be overlooked at the moment.

Even my normally sensible best mate (a 31 year old bloke) tried to tell me a few weeks ago that barlow was the greatest pop songwriter of the last 20 years. o_O

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Have some rep. There's no question that he's written some good tunes, but some of the hyperbole being thrown about at the moment is well over the top. Calling Take That "pop genius in its prime" is ridiculous. As you correctly point out, some of their songs are howlers, but this seems to be overlooked at the moment.

Even my normally sensible best mate (a 31 year old bloke) tried to tell me a few weeks ago that barlow was the greatest pop songwriter of the last 20 years. o_O

Best songwriter of the last 20 years? That's a fairly bold statement to make of any songwriter. :popcorn:

I think Zane Lowe is to blame. He claimed that Rule The World (I think it was that song) was the best song of last year.

That article's pretty good. This made me laugh out loud:

"If seventh album Dig Out Your Soul were a dog, the RSPCA would encourage you to shoot it in the face."

And I like Dig Out Your Soul - not as good as the early stuff by any stretch of the imganation, but still a good album, and they're live shows are still ace!

I still haven't picked up Dig Out Your Soul. I thought The Shock of the Lightning was nae bad, but thought I'm Outta Time was really flat/uninspiring.

As far as Take That goes, you've pretty much summed up my opinion on the matter!

I don't think he wrote, "It only takes a minute".

Regardless, Take That did have a few duff tracks back then. However, the quality of their output these days is pretty remarkable (and towards the end of their initial stint as Take That). By pop standards it shits on a lot especially considering Barlow writes it all. Not many pop acts can write at all, let alone material of a decent quality.

For example Girls Aloud wrote some of the lyrics to "Sexy no no no". Thankfully they plastered over a lot of it with OTT production and vocal effects. Otherwise, it's a pretty shit song.

You are correct madame. Tavares did the original.

Take That had some duff tracks then and they still do now, but I definitely think they're a cut above most of their contemporaries. I actually saw them in 2007 with my then-girlfriend, and they were outstanding. Pure entertainment.

If by pish you mean it was a complete belter, then yes... it was.

'Never Forget' is potentially one of the heaviest songs in existance. 'Rule the world' is another balls out rocker.

I don't know why you can't see it.

Because it isn't there. I'm beginning to wonder if you're taking the piss. And anyway, if they are such a great band, what is the purpose of the other three, who just pose and posture during the verses then do some backing vocals in the verses? 3 middle age men in white vests dancing round a fat bloke on a piano does not a good band make.

I think people sometimes let nostalgia cloud the fact that a band were actually absoulte shite. Admittedly some of TTs recent stuff has been on the right side of listenable (although largely still radio-friendly fluff) but their stuff in the 90s was just bland, bubblegum pop for teenage girls who cared more about their washboard abs than their music. Remember a couple of years ago how crazy the world went when The Spice Girls reformed? Has everyone forgotten that their songs absolutely sucked balls? It was just kids music. Ditto East 17, All Saints, Boyzone..... Next, Blue reform and everyone talks about how much their music profoundly changed their lives and how they were so innovative and ahead of their time. Then Atomic Kitten. Then Five. 10 years down the line Same Difference will do a comeback tour and everyone will say "Wow they wrote great pop songs". No they didn't they wrote shite pop songs. Kylie? That hoor has never had a good song in her life, but because she's been on the go for 20 years, suddenly "I Should Be So Lucky" is a classic.

Wow I don't know where that rant came from.

On the newer material (my knowledge on the earlier stuff is a bit suspect) there's a lot more of an even spread on the vocal duties.

I would never suggest they were anything more than half-decent in the 90s, with some admittedly god awful songs. What I would say is that I've always thought they were a bit better than a lot of similar acts, especially these days. Having been pretty much indifferent to most bands of this ilk back in the day, I'm in a position where nostalgia won't threaten to cloud my judgement on this one. I see your point though, and The Spice Girls' comeback was a good example. I saw people I knew who didn't care for them at the time suddenly falling over themselves to spend 80 on a gig ticket. Very bizarre.

EDIT: Did not expect there to be any more replies while I wrote this. This post is about Take That, obviously.