aberdeen-music

Hogmany 2008/09 at the Castlegate

french_disko

As far as strange conspiracy theories go, that's a good one.

I imagine she's getting the gig because she's cheap and local. Amy MacDonald's probably just cheap.

Look at how late they've left the announcement, they were probably still deciding whether to even go ahead last week due to the lack of funds and just booked the first acts they could get for next to nothing.

you can almost see the check list -

scottish? cheap? not played before (rules out big country (RIP), the proclaimers and travis)?

Sandi Thom must have been the first thing that came up on Google with that criteria. I ge get the impression she'd play at the opening of an envelope or some tart from Torry's legs if it was local & a fee was involved.

The council also seem to have a thing for failed reality show contestants as well - Liberty X, David Sneddon and now this guy.

you can almost see the check list -

scottish? cheap? not played before (rules out big country (RIP), the proclaimers and travis)?

Sandi Thom must have been the first thing that came up on Google with that criteria. I ge get the impression she'd play at the opening of an envelope or some tart from Torry's legs if it was local & a fee was involved.

The council also seem to have a thing for failed reality show contestants as well - Liberty X, David Sneddon and now this guy.

Actually according to the EE Sandi Thom was the support last year. So it must have been a case that they knew just how cheap she was.

As far as strange conspiracy theories go, that's a good one.

I imagine she's getting the gig because she's cheap and local. Amy MacDonald's probably just cheap.

Look at how late they've left the announcement, they were probably still deciding whether to even go ahead last week due to the lack of funds and just booked the first acts they could get for next to nothing.

It just seems that almost every day I open my paper and there's a picture of Sandi Thom with Alex Salmond. You would think that he would be concerned that his image would be tarnished by hanging around with her.

Anyhoo, SNP-led booking or no, the council spending thousands of pounds on the likes of Sandi Thom (or indeed anyone) just doesn't seem right at the moment.

It just seems that almost every day I open my paper and there's a picture of Sandi Thom with Alex Salmond. You would think that he would be concerned that his image would be tarnished by hanging around with her.

Anyhoo, SNP-led booking or no, the council spending thousands of pounds on the likes of Sandi Thom (or indeed anyone) just doesn't seem right at the moment.

that's cause she's the official 'voice of homecoming' or some shit like that.

seriously the most uninspiring line up for a party ever. it's just fucking balls.

that's cause she's the official 'voice of homecoming' or some shit like that.

seriously the most uninspiring line up for a party ever. it's just fucking balls.

I'd go a little further and say it was SHITE. It's typical of the way this town is heading and I'm scunnered. I mean Amy MacDonald is playing The Lemon Tree in February, that's the level she's at. In no way is this the party it's being portrayed as.

I'm glad I stay in the sticks and so cannot even be bothered contemplating Hogmanay in Aberdeen due to effort to get home, means shite like this is easily avoided with little concern....out of interest what do people feel would be a realistic alternative in Aberdeen apart from these 3 bottom feeders? Why would someone good want to spend their Hogmanay in Aberdeen?

I'd go a little further and say it was SHITE. It's typical of the way this town is heading and I'm scunnered. I mean Amy MacDonald is playing The Lemon Tree in February, that's the level she's at. In no way is this the party it's being portrayed as.

i loved the quotes in the evening today from kevin stewart and some other councillor sounding like they'd booked the fucking beatles or something. totally delusional. i mean wet wet wet were pish but at least it made some kind of sense.

chris is probably right, it'll be about cash which is probably fair enough but it's still a duff line up.

If I was a young person who liked music I wouldn't be tempted by this...... but drunk 14 yr old neds & nedettes will be happy enough, I imagine. It's the kind of line-up which might appear in one of my worst nightmares. If they added Duffy, James Blunt & Katie Melua to the bill it would complete the horror.

I want to go to Drakes again for Hogmanay ;(

• 10 months later...
Seems the council has axed the "party" for this year.

Aberdeen council axes Hogmanay street party - Evening Express

Will anybody miss it? Personally I've never been a fan of standing outside in the freezing cold and the fact that Mrs Bigsby is expecting again rules it out 100% anyway.

Good shit, that means i won't have to take a massive detour walking home at New Year!

The headline is a bit misleading, they've just cut the budget from 250,000 to 100,000 which probably just means once less Pop Idol reject playing this year.

I've only been once and it wasn't much fun, fucking froze my nuts off, they wouldn't let you take in cans of lager and you had to fight through a crowd to get for a piss. And was it really worth it to see Liberty-X and the Proclaimers? Was it fuck.

I wonder if they'll cancel the Marischal College building too? If there's a sure fire way to save 80 million coins, then that's it. In comparison, Hogmany is a bit of pocket change.

Wouldn't have thought so, the Marischal College project comes out of a completely seperate pot of money than all the budget cuts were from.

Splendid. That'll save a bit of money for the council amongst all the cuts. I wonder if they'll cancel the Marischal College building too? If there's a sure fire way to save 80 million coins, then that's it. In comparison, Hogmany is a bit of pocket change.

Who would complete the project? or would you just leave the place half demolished/built?

Seems the council has axed the "party" for this year.

Aberdeen council axes Hogmanay street party - Evening Express

Will anybody miss it? Personally I've never been a fan of standing outside in the freezing cold and the fact that Mrs Bigsby is expecting again rules it out 100% anyway.

Who cares about the party????

More to the point.......congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :up: