aberdeen-music

A little friendly advice if you please

Guest calumunderkills

Guest calumunderkills
100 flattered bands stump up postage and packing charges of the relatively tiny price of (say) 2.50 = new telly.

Make enquiries if you want, but don't feed it.

Hear you. Loud and clear. Cheers :up:

Cool. I'll tread very very carefully - I've asked them for further info. I can't quite work out what their scam would be, which is the only thing that is bothering me.

Tap up "shite" unsigned bands for their demo CDs and make a compilation CD to do what with exactly. All seems a little weird. If they start asking for cash, then I'll know what's going on... :up:

Cheers for the helpful posts. Appreciated. :up:

Here's some guesses as to what's in it for them

They'll get a hefty fee if you do get signed.- The bands on compilations pay the costs so this is a no-risk, high potential income strategy.

They'll get copyright on your songs.I've seen this one, fortunately the numpty didn't know the difference between intellectual copyright and mechanical copyright so was soon sent packing, especially after I explained the difference and the ramifications to the band.

Seriously, I've checked the source code on their myspace page and they are lying through their teeth about the amount of friends they have. What else are they lying about?

Guest calumunderkills
Here's some guesses as to what's in it for them

They'll get a hefty fee if you do get signed.- The bands on compilations pay the costs so this is a no-risk, high potential income strategy.

They'll get copyright on your songs.I've seen this one, fortunately the numpty didn't know the difference between intellectual copyright and mechanical copyright so was soon sent packing, especially after I explained the difference and the ramifications to the band.

Seriously, I've checked the source code on their myspace page and they are lying through their teeth about the amount of friends they have. What else are they lying about?

Cheers. I thought this sort of unsolicited e-mail would be too good to be true, but couldn't quite work out how they'd benefit unless they were going to try and get us signed (and rip us off like you've suggested) - but that would mean they thought were good enough to get signed, which was still encouraging. I'm a trainee lawyer, so I would pick through any offer very carefully before signing up to anything. :up:

Guest calumunderkills
That email or message has truly awful grammar. I'd worry about a company who can't even write properly!

That also crossed my mind. I have seen some genuinely intelligent folks who just can't get to grips with computers as well, so I wasn't going to totally write them off on that basis.

I suspect I'll never hear from them again though...

That comment wasn't even aimed at you. The shirt is a joke. My mate started running about T in the Park last year shouting The Underkills will change your life, so I stuck it on a t-shirt for his benefit.

:

Not wanting to leap into a prolonged session of handbags, but I'd suggest that maybe that t-shirt generates a bit of hostility even if it's meant to be a joke. Like, wearing a tshirt that proclaims your band as amazing will just piss some people off. I mean, people might just assume you're a bit of a tit.

Just a little advice I suppose, don't shoot the messenger :up:

I don't wish to be overly derogatory towards your band because i'm sure someone out there might like you, but christ on a dirty great bike those songs suck the big one o_O

As for the "scam", it is just that.

not sure if your in a band or not? but jesus!!!

i hope your not trying to get people to watch your band or respect you in general.

its a music forum dedicated to aberdeen music, not a forum dedicated to taking the piss!

Guest calumunderkills
Not wanting to leap into a prolonged session of handbags, but I'd suggest that maybe that t-shirt generates a bit of hostility even if it's meant to be a joke. Like, wearing a tshirt that proclaims your band as amazing will just piss some people off. I mean, people might just assume you're a bit of a tit.

Just a little advice I suppose, don't shoot the messenger :up:

Fair enough - I can see where this is going. I'll change the picture, but it seems to me that there is a section of people on this forum who just don't like people who try to actually achieve something.

I think it's easy to see that I'm now trying to help the local music scene in Aberdeen as a whole now, and I'm making no great claims about my band (ok, the t-shirt maybe does, but as aforesaid it was a joke, but a few folk on here don't have a sense of humour, clearly - and I didn't say we'd change your life in a good way :up: ).

It seems that folk think it makes more sense to rip into each other's bands, rather than try and claim their own band is good - it's like a minor election campaign, when one party tries to make out it's the best by showing how bad the other party is.

And - these comments aren't aimed at you, cos I know you're a good guy and you're not slating me, just pointing out what others might think :up:

Guest calumunderkills
Fair enough - I can see where this is going. I'll change the picture, but it seems to me that there is a section of people on this forum who just don't like people who try to actually achieve something.

I think it's easy to see that I'm now trying to help the local music scene in Aberdeen as a whole now, and I'm making no great claims about my band (ok, the t-shirt maybe does, but as aforesaid it was a joke, but a few folk on here don't have a sense of humour, clearly - and I didn't say we'd change your life in a good way :up: ).

It seems that folk think it makes more sense to rip into each other's bands, rather than try and claim their own band is good - it's like a minor election campaign, when one party tries to make out it's the best by showing how bad the other party is.

And - these comments aren't aimed at you, cos I know you're a good guy and you're not slating me, just pointing out what others might think :up:

How the fuck do I change my picture!!?

Guest calumunderkills
I don't wish to be overly derogatory towards your band because i'm sure someone out there might like you, but christ on a dirty great bike those songs suck the big one o_O

As for the "scam", it is just that.

I just don't see that as being necessary at all :up:

not sure if your in a band or not? but jesus!!!

i hope your not trying to get people to watch your band or respect you in general.

its a music forum dedicated to aberdeen music, not a forum dedicated to taking the piss!

Oh shut up for god sake. I'm just being honest. I don't see why i should back-slap everyone especially when their music literaly made me cringe with disgust. Honesty is always the best policy and why the heck should i sugar coat it for try hards?

It's nothing i wouldn't say to his face.

You smack of "mate of the band" syndrome.

Fudd off ;)

Guest calumunderkills
Oh shut up for god sake. I'm just being honest. I don't see why i should back-slap everyone especially when their music literaly made me cringe with disgust. Honesty is always the best policy and why the heck should i sugar coat it for try hards?

It's nothing i wouldn't say to his face.

You smack of "mate of the band" syndrome.

Fudd off ;)

Nobody's asking you to back-slap or sugar coat anything. But really don't think there's any need to go as far as you did. If you don't like the tunes, fair enough.

For the record, I don't know AKA the Brando - I thought it was a friend of a friend (called Brand), but turns out it's not, and he's never been to any of our gigs, and we don't know each other. :up:

Nobody's asking you to back-slap or sugar coat anything. But really don't think there's any need to go as far as you did. If you don't like the tunes, fair enough.

For the record, I don't know AKA the Brando - I thought it was a friend of a friend (called Brand), but turns out it's not, and he's never been to any of our gigs, and we don't know each other. :up:

So i'm free to say what i want then. Cheers :up:

I don't like your band. I think your songs are terrible and have a rather poor level of recording quality. Why on earth someone would want to offer you guys a "leg-up" is completely beyond me. I'm sure there are people out there who would like you but there is nothing in your music to suggest anything particularly special about it that would act as a marketable draw. The only thing that you do have going for you is that you play a style of music that doesn't particularly go out of fashion. The pub circuit beckons. Go forth and multiply or whatever.

This is a discussion forum. People should feel free to say what they want within reason and i'm sorry if my level of tact (or lack thereof) offended you. You also seeem to have a knack for rubbing people up the wrong way. Good luck with that also.

I don't think it would be worthwhile for you to enter into whatever "scam" this thing is but part of me wishes you would just so you get the experience. Though that may spawn a rash of threads as to why you feel abused by the "industry".

Anyway, i assure you i'm not a dick. I'm just a man with an opinion. :up:

Guest calumunderkills
So i'm free to say what i want then. Cheers :up:

I don't like your band. I think your songs are terrible and have a rather poor level of recording quality. Why on earth someone would want to offer you guys a "leg-up" is completely beyond me. I'm sure there are people out there who would like you but there is nothing in your music to suggest anything particularly special about it that would act as a marketable draw. The only thing that you do have going for you is that you play a style of music that doesn't particularly go out of fashion. The pub circuit beckons. Go forth and multiply or whatever.

This is a discussion forum. People should feel free to say what they want within reason and i'm sorry if my level of tact (or lack thereof) offended you. You also seeem to have a knack for rubbing people up the wrong way. Good luck with that also.

I don't think it would be worthwhile for you to enter into whatever "scam" this thing is but part of me wishes you would just so you get the experience. Though that may spawn a rash of threads as to why you feel abused by the "industry".

Anyway, i assure you i'm not a dick. I'm just a man with an opinion. :up:

You see - that's a far better way of putting things, and I don't mind that at all. It's your opinion and you're more than entitled to it :up:

As for me rubbing people up the wrong way - it does happen sometimes, though completely unintentionally - I do always offer my sincere apologies if I'm taken the wrong way :up:

advice

to throw a little helpful post in here go look at the 'Music Industry Advice Day post in events. Monday 10th Nov, 1-4pm in Kilau. Jen Hunter- Musicians Union, Stuart Fleming- PRS and Duncan Macrone from MCPS are in town for a drop chat session. These guys deal with all sorts and know all sorts and it's a great chance to pick their brains about things mentioned on this thread!

Take advantage

Guest calumunderkills
to throw a little helpful post in here go look at the 'Music Industry Advice Day post in events. Monday 10th Nov, 1-4pm in Kilau. Jen Hunter- Musicians Union, Stuart Fleming- PRS and Duncan Macrone from MCPS are in town for a drop chat session. These guys deal with all sorts and know all sorts and it's a great chance to pick their brains about things mentioned on this thread!

Take advantage

Cheers for that - I'll be in work so unable to go, but sounds like it would be good! :up: