aberdeen-music

Nfl

Nev

After watching the Raiders/Dolphins game last night, there is no way in hell I want to throw my support behind Oakland.

San Francisco game was fun though. Their QB looks incredibly indecisive with the ball in his hands, though. Is this because his team-mates weren't making the runs, the defence were snuffing them out effectively, or is he just a bit dopey?

Slowly figuring the sport out. I've bought a book and everything! Watching some of the bigger plays come off is pretty exhilarating stuff.

The SF QB?  The offensive line didn't give him much time so he ended up running for his life a large part of the game.  He looked better in the second half when we went back to running the ball.  SF's best offense comes off of the run, it opens up more spaces for Kap to throw the ball and also use his legs.  He's so fast for a QB that he can just eat up 20 yards before a linebacker can get near him.

The Eagles looked really bad offensively as well for similar reasons, their line is so banged up right now.  Justin Smith is playing like a monster for SF right now though, he's really holding our defense together whilst we wait for Bowman and Aldon Smith to get back.

Edited by Captain America

Kap may look indecisive because a) his O-line is leaky meaning he's under constant threat of getting sacked or hurried and b) because he plays the read option very well, which means he can take a snap decision to run with the ball instead of handing it off to the running back. He's one of the best running QBs there is so when you see him look around for a pass then take off running, it's a calculated move, not him being dopey. He does have a tendency to force some risky plays but all in all he's one of the better young QBs. If you want to see a dopey QB watch a Jets game.

I'd recommend watching a Broncos game next - take a look at how Manning runs his offence. It's one of the best things to watch in the NFL. He rarely scrambles or panics but the big plays are still there. He'll toss a pinpoint bomb 50 yards out of nowhere but it's the quick slants and smaller gain plays that he does so well too. You'll begin to appreciate the game better and be able to compare and contrast a lot more if you watch him.

I missed all the games this weekend due to being in a car for 10 straight hours. The box score didn't make for pretty reading for a Jets fan. Geno with another interception and by all accounts not a great performance. I'm still behind him as QB1 though. Benching him now would be disasterous for his confidence and ultimately for the team. Vick doesn't offer much more than he does

That's your other team's coach gone murr. Can't really say it's not deserved. The Raiders haven't progressed at all in the 2 and a half years he's been there, and they've had good Draft picks.

That pats game last night soothed some of the sadness the Jets have caused. Was ace seeing them get absolutely spanked all over the field.

Dunno about the draft picks statement.  Raiders high end drafts have been flop central since about 2007 and the big mistake.

The Pats game was excellent, I have a soft spot for the Chiefs they seem to have really awesome fans but not obnoxious like Seattle, Andy Reid is a dude and Alex Smith is my boy.  He played a really great game yesterday as well.

Chiefs pass rush is scary and if your line is as bad as the Pats is right now, they had no hope.  Hali is a beast.

Ah right, yeah I agree.  They made very poor choices for a number of years.  Mack they got this year looked good but he's on such a bad defence it doesn't matter.

They always spend far too much money in free agency on older players.  The team is so bad now and for the last few years what they need to do is just spend average money on decent players.  Build the best parts of the team with better drafting.  If they do go big on a player it has to be a tackle or a D Lineman who is <27 years old.

If you're getting into the sport and reading up on it, I'd recommend you look into the varioius schools of passing theory. There are essentially three; Don Coryell's Air Coryell (which led to things like the Air Raid offense that Hal Mumme/Rich Rodriguez ect have made their money with), the West Coast Offense (for which all of the credit is given to Bill Walsh but it's developed a fair bit over time) and the Run and Shoot. Nowadays, teams incorporate elements of them all in various ways, but typically each coach comes from a 'coaching tree' of another coach and will have been led and influenced by his preferred theories.

The comment that ca_gere made above about Manning and Denver's offense is a great one and it highlights the intricacies of the West Coast Offense which they run. It's all about timing, hitting the receiver at a pre-determined time in a pre-determined spot and nobody has probably ever read a defense as well and as quickly as Manning does. Those quick underneath passes that carve teams up are his staple and that's vintage WCO (Montana at the 49ers was the master of this with Bill Walsh calling the shots)

As a coach, I am probably even more interested in run schemes, but the NFL is a passing league and that's what the fans seem to want to see!

And the best football book to read, especially if you're just getting into it is Chris Brown's Essential Smart Football. He makes complex theories simple and interesting and he's a great writer!

• Upvote 1

Good game to start with! Buffalo are having a slight QB crisis and Detroit ' s best player/the league's best player was playing hampered with injury and employed as a decoy the whole game so the action probably wasnt as good as it couldve been but the comeback was cool.

Was that your first game ever? Or just your first bills game?

In other news... capn, your boys really did a number on that guy in the toilets.

Seriously though, that shit is disgusting. Pumped up brotein shake dick swinging cunts always ruin sports events.

It was against another niners fan as well, horrible.

Apparently the brother that was the main instigator has multiple felonies and has been in jail a lot.

Good game to start with! Buffalo are having a slight QB crisis and Detroit ' s best player/the league's best player was playing hampered with injury and employed as a decoy the whole game so the action probably wasnt as good as it couldve been but the comeback was cool.

Was that your first game ever? Or just your first bills game?

Just my first Bills game. I was a Steelers fan as a kid, but with the whole Buffalo thing and now the Pegulas buying the Bills, I became a Bills fan by default.

Wasn't too sold on Orton to begin with, especially with the interception that lead to a touchdown. But he played a blinder in the second half, realyl brought it back. DRAMATIC

Edited by Teabags

Finally a proper game on Thursday night. One of the best games so far this season. It had everything - a recovered onside kick which was just bizarre and brilliant, JJ watt being a monster, luck passing brilliantly, both RBs looked fantastic and I've still no idea how Johnson pulled his TD in, an unbelievable catch. Shame it was decided by a fumble in the end. Both defenses looked full of holes and there were some awful tackle attempts but all in all great entertainment. Luck is the real deal.

Edited by ca_gere

nah man... Bradshaw. Did you see the game? I doubt the highlights would have put it across well but he was excellent. His yardage stats may have been low but he made some awesome small yardage pick ups when they really needed it. Very smart running, avoiding some potentially big yardage losses with some nice moves.

No I haven't seen it all just the highlights.  I can't judge their whole run game on the box score but from what I saw in the highlights one or two runs aside where they made first downs you can't call the Colts running great.  

For me they're still too reliant on Luck throwing for everything to be a real contender (I think they thought that too when they traded for Richardson last year).

Seems random to me - this week its Lions - Vikings and Cowboys - Seahawks.

There's probably a slight bias towards better UK supported teams - Pats, Giants, Cowboys, 49ers, which is fair enough, but I reckon most teams will get at least one showing on Sunday or Thursday...

Edited by colb

We usually get a good few Pack games as well.

Cowboys looked pretty legit but I'd be pretty worried if I was a Seahawks fan, I mean they'll make the playoffs no problem but they've lost to two elite teams so far and their defence just hasn't looked capable of stopping them.

The offence as well.  What happened?  They were in a tie game and they just abandoned the run in the second half.  3 series in a row they threw it on first and second down.  Just run it!!