aberdeen-music

Don't brag about a sickday online...!

RossP

My mum got a new job and the lass who replaced her did a similar thing continuously. She also sent out job applications via her work email address, knowing (but perhaps forgetting) that the managers were able to access her work email account.

You need to put a lot of planning into a good sick day. Forward planning is the key...start with a sniffle or general complaint a few days before hand and build it up during the week. Don't do what a girl I worked with did and phone in with 'food poisoning' on a saturday morning when she'd been talking about getting drugs for the weekend a few days before.

A few years ago I worked at the Holiday Inn. One of the few perks of working for the Holiday Inn is that you get staff rates at any Intercontinental Hotel (who own HI) in the UK and Ireland and some of Europe, which is basically a room and breakfast for 20.

There was a Polish girl who worked there called Monika (this was before the big influx of Poles, she was the only Pole at the time. But that's not important). Monika worked as a waitress and started at 7am every morning. One evening around 9pm we got a phone call from the Reception manager at the Holiday Inn in Dublin.

"Hi, we have a girl here called Monika who's asking for staff rates, she says she works at HI Aberdeen?".

"Yes that's right".

"Oh, OK we were just making sure".

End of phone call. We thought it a little strange as she was meant to be working the next morning at 7.

6am the next morning the phone rings.

"Hi it's Monika. I'm sick I can't come into work"

"You're not sick you're in Dublin"

"I'm not! I'm sick, I can't come in"

"You can't come in because you're in fucking Dublin"

Monika got fired. How dumb must that girl be? Like they weren't going to phone and check!

My mum got a new job and the lass who replaced her did a similar thing continuously. She also sent out job applications via her work email address, knowing (but perhaps forgetting) that the managers were able to access her work email account.

You need to put a lot of planning into a good sick day. Forward planning is the key...start with a sniffle or general complaint a few days before hand and build it up during the week. Don't do what a girl I worked with did and phone in with 'food poisoning' on a saturday morning when she'd been talking about getting drugs for the weekend a few days before.

I've pulled some shit in my day, but the taking of sickies is a compete anathema to me and as a former manager myself (10 years of fucking moaning-faced torture) I have no sympathy for anyone who gets caught in the act.

A few years ago I worked at the Holiday Inn. There was a Polish girl who worked there called Monika (this was before the big influx of Poles, she was the only Pole at the time. But that's not important). One of the few perks of working for the Holiday Inn is that you get staff rates at any Intercontinental Hotel (who own HI) in the UK and Ireland and some of Europe, which is basically a room and breakfast for 20.

Monika worked as a waitress and started at 7am every morning. One evening around 9pm we got a phone call from the Reception manager at the Holiday Inn in Dublin.

"Hi, we have a girl here called Monika who's asking for staff rates, she says she works at HI Aberdeen?".

"Yes that's right".

"Oh, OK we were just making sure".

End of phone call. We thought it a little strange as she was meant to be working the next morning at 7.

6am the next morning the phone rings.

"Hi it's Monika. I'm sick I can't come into work"

"You're not sick you're in Dublin"

"I'm not! I'm sick, I can't come in"

"You can't come in because you're in fucking Dublin"

Monika got fired. How dumb must that girl be? Like they weren't going to phone and check!

Was it possible for your friends/family to use the discount, legally or illegally? As it could be possible for one of her friends/family to use the room in Dublin, whilst you are still working in Aberdeen.

Stupid nonetheless...

Was it possible for your friends/family to use the discount, legally or illegally? As it could be possible for one of her friends/family to use the room in Dublin, whilst you are still working in Aberdeen.

Stupid nonetheless...

Not really. F&F got a different rate (40) and they had to have pre-booked it and have a certificate from the manager of the HI their friend works at.

I think she admitted it eventually, or else just never came back, I can't remember.

An acquaintance of mine came up to Aberdeen for a Friday night gig a few years back, knowing fine that he had no intention of heading back south for work in the morning, and was in fact heading up to Dingwall to watch his team in action.

Cue the amusing sickie call: "Hi, I've got a fatal dose of bird flu so won't be in to work today. See you on Monday..." :up:

As I recall, he got off with a warning :lol:

When I was in first year of uni I often asked my nurse flatmate what I should take a 'Torry sick day' with, as they were able to provide symptoms, estimated recovery period time as well as a list of what tests and treatment the GP would provide. That way when I did go back a day or two later I could then give precise information to back up my story :up:

I've only taken 5 days off since leaving uni though... 4 were warranted: badly broken ribs after a car crash in Thurso and 1 unwarranted: because it was the day after ICT beat one of the Old Firm :love:

Working at a KP at simpsons hotel, I phoned in sick after a night on the tiles. (despite the fact my shift started at 3pm, relatively late on)

However, my folly was that aparently I had bumped into my boss the previous night and chatted to him about how "hammered" I was, and in my drunken stupor, I had forgotten this imperative detail the morning after.

Needless to say he wasn't impressed.

Working at a KP at simpsons hotel, I phoned in sick after a night on the tiles. (despite the fact my shift started at 3pm, relatively late on)

However, my folly was that aparently I had bumped into my boss the previous night and chatted to him about how "hammered" I was, and in my drunken stupor, I had forgotten this imperative detail the morning after.

Needless to say he wasn't impressed.

what you should have done, was totter in, half cut, stinking like a near-sick experience, breath on some cuntstomers and generally show everybody that you were indeed too drunnk to function in a job environment...

I once had to work at Xpress Print on the 2nd of Jan...and I'd had a "tequilla night" the night before with a friend who worked there. We were tasked with setting up a poster of Elf (oil company)....there were 10 lines of text + 1 pic. and we managed to "miss" 11 typos... ho ho...

They never learn, do they.

The best one I heard at the HI was "I'm not coming in. I have a problem with my cock".

No questions asked.

My favourite excuse of them all was STD's/viruses/miscellaneous other cock problems, because no one dared to question it or go into details.

Trouble is that like the boy who creid wolf, I lied about it twice to get a two/three days off tops, then something did actually happen and I spent three sodding weeks signed off in agony!

not :up:

Guest treader.
My favourite excuse of them all was STD's/viruses/miscellaneous other cock problems, because no one dared to question it or go into details.

Trouble is that like the boy who creid wolf, I lied about it twice to get a two/three days off tops, then something did actually happen and I spent three sodding weeks signed off in agony!

not :up:

I didn't know you could get STDs from masturbation...