aberdeen-music

Well Ringo, you can just fuck off then...

Beatles' Ringo Starr tells fans to stop writing to him | News | NME.COM

Too busy to read fan mail or sign things... I got the impression that the Beatles broke up in 1970? But I guess his solo career and Thomas the Tank Engine narration has been keeping him busy since then.

He's no longer my favourite Beatle, the twat.

No, send him this, he'll find it much more offensive.

It's his own fault for saying in that Simpsons ep that he would reply to every piece of mail he received.

Still a legend though, Photograph and It Don't Come Easy are top tunes.

Aye top tunes.

It wasn't coz of the Simpsons, he always did that and he got the most fan mail too...

I think it's a bit sad and maybe he got out of bed the wrong way as he's supposed to be one of the down to earth guys in music. Replying to everything must be a pain but this is not the way to deal with it.

The myth of him being crap is one of the laziest and lamest things ever in popular music. He was a pioneer and played some brilliant stuff.

Ringo Starr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drumming ability and appreciation

Many drummers list Starr as an influence, including Dave Grohl of Nirvana/Foo Fighters, Orri Pll Drason of Sigur Ros, Max Weinberg of the E Street Band, Danny Carey of Tool, Liberty DeVitto of Billy Joel's band, Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden, Phil Collins, Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater and others. According to Collins, "Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do."[27]

In his extensive survey of The Beatles' recording sessions, Mark Lewisohn confirmed that Starr was both proficient and remarkably reliable and consistent. According to Lewisohn, there were fewer than a dozen occasions in The Beatles' eight-year recording career where session 'breakdowns' were caused by Starr making a mistake, while the vast majority of takes were stopped owing to mistakes by the other three members.

Starr is also considered to have advanced various modern drumming techniques, such as the matched grip, placing the drums on high risers for visibility as part of the band, tuning the drums lower, and using muffling devices on tonal rings, along with his general contributions to The Beatles as a whole."

In his extensive survey of The Beatles' recording sessions, Mark Lewisohn confirmed that Starr was both proficient and remarkably reliable and consistent. According to Lewisohn, there were fewer than a dozen occasions in The Beatles' eight-year recording career where session 'breakdowns' were caused by Starr making a mistake, while the vast majority of takes were stopped owing to mistakes by the other three members.

is that because "boom chick boom chick" is easy to fuck up?

"sorry lads, one too many booms in that last bar"...[take 22]...

hoh o..

and this made me chuckle : "...Danny Carey of Tool"

I forgot about a. the 6/14 time sigs that the beatles did.

or perhaps Ringo is a fantastic basketball player? and danny's been quoted out of context?

(he he...)

just kidding.

I hate all the beatles.

is that because "boom chick boom chick" is easy to fuck up?

"sorry lads, one too many booms in that last bar"...[take 22]...

hoh o..

and this made me chuckle : "...Danny Carey of Tool"

I forgot about a. the 6/14 time sigs that the beatles did.

or perhaps Ringo is a fantastic basketball player? and danny's been quoted out of context?

(he he...)

just kidding.

I hate all the beatles.

Todd Trainer Can't keep time!

the guy from blues explosion is a bit ropey!

etc.

Ringo's nae really that bad is he?.....

"ho-ho" 1.

1.TMlepeep2008....

It's not that easy to classify a good drummer. Ringo was good for keeping a song rolling along as the man above me said, and that's all I'd personally require in a decent steady drummer.

On the other end of the spectrum you get that guy from Meshuggah, who will play 4/4 on his right foot, 3/4 on his left, 7/6 on his right hand and 7/4 on his left (True story)

But Ringo is a fucking cunt for doing this. I constantly obsess and wish I was in a band that meant something to someone. He has that and can't be assed signing the fanmail. Just seems a bit lame.

"Ringo, the best drummer in the world? He isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles"

John Lennon

It's not that easy to classify a good drummer. Ringo was good for keeping a song rolling along as the man above me said, and that's all I'd personally require in a decent steady drummer.

On the other end of the spectrum you get that guy from Meshuggah, who will play 4/4 on his right foot, 3/4 on his left, 7/6 on his right hand and 7/4 on his left (True story)

But Ringo is a fucking cunt for doing this. I constantly obsess and wish I was in a band that meant something to someone. He has that and can't be assed signing the fanmail. Just seems a bit lame.

"Ringo, the best drummer in the world? He isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles"

John Lennon

fair point.

he's rich.

he could pay a flunkey to respond to the fanmail.

rubber stamp signature and promo photos.

maybe he's feeling sad, needs the attention...

at least he didnae shack up with a one legged whore.

John Lennon

That old Lennon quip always gets an airing...

The thing about drumming like all other rock instrumentation is that things have moved rapidly and yes there are technically amazing drummers, guitarists etc but it really can't be compared across the time frame. But without these earlier players it would not have progressed.

I don't really know about all this as it seems a bit out of character, maybe somethings wrong? He did get stuff sent just for signing and always did so... I think it's sad.

at least he didnae shack up with a one legged whore.

Yeah, falling in love and getting married to a woman who happens to have one leg. Terrible.

He only snubbed all his fans that got him where he is now. Much more righteous, man :up:

Guest treader.

you seem to be forgetting that for the past what...20 years? he has been signing EVERY piece of 'whateverpeoplewantsigned' and responding to fanmail. i mean, you'd all get bored of it eventually.

i cant imagine anyone would be really happy and amazed by the support their band gets after 20 years solid of signing stuff regarding a band who broke up.

"oh wow, this is amazing! another photo to sign!! i'm so grateful for this repetitive strain injury"