aberdeen-music

Favourite football memories

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Lets see now, beating hearts 6-2 was just one of the greatest games i've been to. Simply fantastic.

Obviously the 5-1 killie final afew seasons ago. Because hibs and cups are rare things to be seen together.

Any and every time hibs have beaten either side of the infirm. Because it simply doesn't lose its charm. Even when we were beating the huns every time we played them afew seasons ago.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i never thought about personal ones

captaining & winning angus cup and league with my cubs fitba team

captaining my school for a few years

getting Toe broken by Gavin Swankie - i gave him abuse for this in the summer (only 11 years on)

attending training and coaching with a few semi pro and pro clubs as a keeper

i sadly suffered from two horrific arm breaks which I never managed to return from (got fat). I am now a horrendous football player who tries to play 5s

Alan Thompson vs Barcelona (1-0 at home)

David Marshall's full Celtic debut against Barcelona (0-0 away)

Meeting Chris Sutton.

Jan Venegoor of Hesselink vs Dundee United to win SPL title.

JAMES MCFADDEN FROM FORTY YARDS

Henrik Larsson scoring at my first ever live football game (1-0 vs Hearts at home)

Middlesbrough and Celtic getting to the UEFA Cup Final.

Luke Young's goal against Tottenham for Boro last season.

It was only in a kickabout, but possibly the best thing I've ever done playing football was: Flicking the ball over a defender's head, nipping past him to chest it down, before sclaffing a left footer past the keeper.

A cheese-eating surrender-monkey playing with us at the time told me it reminded him of Gazza in 96. I had to try REALLY REALLY hard not to lamp him.

And then there's ghosting past Diesel like he's no there half the time... :p:up:

i scored a peach of an OG in a primary school league match... i intended to punt the ball upfield as it came into the box from a cross, but my ronaldinho-like skills instead somehow resulted in me volleying straight it into the top right corner of my own goal. the best i ever scored.

i can still see my keeper in slowmotion, throwing himself hopelessly to the left as the net bulged...

Guest idol_wild

I have a playing one too.

Final game of the season and I told my boss I was a no-goer because Biffy Clyro were doing an instore in One Up. So this was probably around 2004/2005. I had played centre midfield for most of the season and there was a couple of younger guys who were keen to take up a starting slot, so I figured one of them would get a chance in my absence.

However, as it transpired there were a number of call-offs that game and I was cajoled into playing the match.

At centre-half. A position I never ever enjoyed playing.

We had 11 players - several of them were not regular starters because they were ding.

We got beat 6-1.

I scored two identical own-goals (low cross from the right across the six yard box, I slid-in to swipe the ball away, and as a result slotted the ball into the bottom corner).

Both were quite classy finishes actually.

Nightmare, though.

idol-wild's post reminds me of my 2 worst football memories.....both amateur league affairs...the first was the one time my dad came to watch me play and I was taken off at half-time (in my defence I was a full back, but, due to call-offs, was playing in midfield). The second was when only 9 of us turned up to play against the team who were top of our division. Worst news was that one of the no-shows was the goalie (who was still in the cells at Lodge Walk from the night before). We were told that each full-back would have to do a half each in goals. I let in 6 ( and was booked for "steps", as the rule was new, and the ref didn't explain what he was warning me for), but at least the other full back let in 7, as we lost 13-2.

Back on topic: My best memory of being a manager was berating Charlie Allen who was refereeing my team's league match. He was absolutely awful, so I made sure I let him know about it; useless reporter, his weight and his lack of football knowledge were all added to the abuse.

Fucking hell, I know they were/are desperate for refs in Aberdeen (heck, they passed me....), but Charlie Allen as a ref?!

Guest idol_wild
Calders simply looked even more bloated, tanned and ridiculous than he does on tv and in the paper.

I can second that - I saw him in Marks & Spencer and he looks ridiculous. He's definitely been Tango'd.