aberdeen-music

Freeview Problems

The past couple of days, my TV reception has been terrible. I could only watch BBC channels and all the others I could get would be unwatchable, with jumping screens and stuttering audio.

Now today all I can get are some of the BBC channels (no BBC4 or Radio 1 - 6).

Is anyone else having problems, or have suggestions on how to solve my problem?

*que A team intro music*

if no one else can help and if you can find him...maybe you can hire...The A-lkaline!

:up:

Haha. To the rescue with some infuriating information!!

They are dicking around with the Durris transmitter at the moment. Who knows when they'll be finished and whether it will have screwed up your reception for good or not.

It may also be a problem with either your aerial itself (if it's an indoor aerial try it on another set). It may sound ridiculous but heavy birds (seagulls predominantly) seem to have some sort of need to attempt to bend people's aerial elements by plunking their oafish flea ridden bodies on top of them.

Check your leads too as sometimes the buggers can work their way loose and make sure the ends are tight on the flex itself.

Ask your neighbours if they are having similar problems too.

Everyone in Aberdeen should give up on terrestrial broadcasts and go the Freesat route in my opinion. The transmitters would be better if they were replaced with country yokels standing in a field with a coathanger.

Haha. To the rescue with some infuriating information!!

They are dicking around with the Durris transmitter at the moment. Who knows when they'll be finished and whether it will have screwed up your reception for good or not.

It may also be a problem with either your aerial itself (if it's an indoor aerial try it on another set). It may sound ridiculous but heavy birds (seagulls predominantly) seem to have some sort of need to attempt to bend people's aerial elements by plunking their oafish flea ridden bodies on top of them.

Check your leads too as sometimes the buggers can work their way loose and make sure the ends are tight on the flex itself.

Ask your neighbours if they are having similar problems too.

Everyone in Aberdeen should give up on terrestrial broadcasts and go the Freesat route in my opinion. The transmitters would be better if they were replaced with country yokels standing in a field with a coathanger.

Cheers for that.

I tried unplugging and replugging everything in, but that has made no difference whatsoever. I blame the Durris transmitter thing, bastards.

Everyone in Aberdeen should give up on terrestrial broadcasts and go the Freesat route in my opinion.

I have Sky but the picture quality is shocking and noticably worse than the Freeview reception that the telly can pick up. How does Freesat compare quality wise to both Sky and Freeview (talking about SD for the time being, although once an HD Freesat with a PVR is available I would def. consider that route.)

I have Sky but the picture quality is shocking and noticably worse than the Freeview reception that the telly can pick up. How does Freesat compare quality wise to both Sky and Freeview (talking about SD for the time being, although once an HD Freesat with a PVR is available I would def. consider that route.)

If you have an HD capable TV an HD Freesat box is a nice upgrade for around 150. The HDMI output gives you a much better connection and doesn't expose as much of the flaws in the transmission.

Satellite has always been worse than terrestrial in terms of picture quality due to the compression rate that is used in Satellite transmissions. HD does improve that considerably but maybe when the freeview platform changes to DVBT-2 in the next few years HD on freeview may be a better picture too.

The Freesat signal is just the same as Sky due to the compression rates but using better connections/ taking advantage of RGB wired scart sockets can help improve a picture in these cases.

So in recommending Freesat over Freeview you are encouraging people to take a step down in picture quality then?

I think I'll stick to Currys for my "expert" sales advice in future. ;)

Oh, and I do use RGB but the picture quality is still shocking through Sky (I've got a 37" LCD). But as I say, HD Freesat would be an option once there is a PVR (sensibly priced).

So in recommending Freesat over Freeview you are encouraging people to take a step down in picture quality then?

I think I'll stick to Currys for my "expert" sales advice in future. ;)

Oh, and I do use RGB but the picture quality is still shocking through Sky (I've got a 37" LCD). But as I say, HD Freesat would be an option once there is a PVR (sensibly priced).

Only if they are plagued with poor reception which a lot of the Aberdeenshire area is. And how bad a picture looks also depends on the set that's being used. I thoroughly recommend ditching any sort of noise reduction and live colour enhancers that tend to be on LCD sets. Also what is the resolution of your LCD. It is an obvious factor that if you have a 1080p LCD set an SD picture would be worse on a mid-large sized set as the sets internal scaler is having to make up 3/4s of the information so it's not a tiny picture in the middle of the screen (i can go into a bit more detail if you want).

I know a lot more about this sort of thing than most (if not all) of the sort of people that work in places like Curry's.

Freesat is a much better option if you actually want to watch TV where the Freeview reception is poor. The drop in picture quality depends on a number of variables but Freeview will always be better.

I'd get an external PVR by the way. Having individual components is a much better idea long term.

Cheers for that.

I tried unplugging and replugging everything in, but that has made no difference whatsoever. I blame the Durris transmitter thing, bastards.

our digital TV's being losing channels now and again...it can be fixed (most times) by swithitching the TV off (from the socket) wait 10 secs, and plug it back in. But, we have had some signal trouble too, so I'd plump for the Durris thing too.

our digital TV's being losing channels now and again...it can be fixed (most times) by swithitching the TV off (from the socket) wait 10 secs, and plug it back in. But, we have had some signal trouble too, so I'd plump for the Durris thing too.

It must have been some stuff going on with Durris, as all the channels that I usually get have magically reappeared overnight.

My freeview box at my new place doesnt even pick up the BBC channels or Channel 4, only Five, Fiver, Five US, UKTVhistory and Film4, piece of shite. Annoying thing is that I'd happily pay for Sky but my new house is listed so I can't get a dish installed.

Weird thing is I got great freeview reception when I was at Hillhead halls (just live round the corner from there now). Anyone know how to improve the situation?

if i had to lose every single channel but one, I would choose to keep Dave. fact.

also, i have sky and a 37" tv and although i recognise the picture quality isn't GREAT, i'd say it was far from poor and definitely not unwatchable by any means! but granted when i stick a Blu-Ray in the PS3 you say to your self "is THIS what it's supposed to look like...aaaaahhhhh!!!!"

• 3 weeks later...