aberdeen-music

football manager 2009

The Milner

After a couple of false starts with well-kent teams, I decided to go to the lower leagues of a nation I had not tried for a while and took over Regensburg in the German Third Division.

Finished 10th in first season, mainly due to an appalling run after February where we slumped from 2nd.

Second season is only a few games old and had started impressively enough until my first choice left back got injured and his replacement had an absolute howler, scoring a 4.1 and giving away two penalties in a 5-1 drubbing!

I find that, no matter how promising your strike pairing is (I snapped up the league's player of the year on a free transfer in the close season) it is virtually impossible to get them both banging in the goals and getting good ratings.

I even tried setting up a specific training regime for strikers which focused almost exclusively on shooting, attacking and set pieces, alongside the fitness elements, but it didn't make any difference.

Anyone got any tips? I was playing 4-4-2 diamond attacking but have changed to a simple 4-4-2 attacking this season due to a change in personnel.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
I'm terrible at this game. I don't know what it is. To ease myself into it, I took charge of ManYoo because I lost 8 games on the trot with Wednesday. Why are Tevez and Carrick always so depressed? I keep giving them high praise but that doesn't work, so I try giving them criticism every now and again and that worsens their morale. I gave them an improved contract. I arranged a friendly against my reserves, played all my big guns to ensure that we smashed them. Tevez and Carrick grabbed a couple of goals each too. But still they are of poor morale. It doesn't say they are unhappy at the club though. Just bad morale even though I'm winning all my games and they are playing first team football constantly.

What gives?

They perhaps want new contracts? Offer them anyway. It can only be a beneficial thing. It may also have something to do with their squad status. But it's probably because you're an inexperienced manager and they feel uncomfortable working with you.

Morale and teamtalks are absolutely crucial in this new version. Teamtalks before the match and at half-time can quite literally be the difference between a win and a loss. Tactics are useful too, of course. ;) But always pay attention to the pre-match odds and base your teamtalk and tactical set-up around that.

Also, hire an Assistant Manager with suitable stats for Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Potential/Ability and Motivating. During the match, ask for your assistant's feedback every 10 - 15 minutes and implement every change he suggests with regards to Opposition Instructions. If you're unsure of teamtalks, ask your assistant to take care of them.

Furthermore, almost every single opponent will have a nominated playmaker in the centre of the park - after 15 minutes, identify him and ruin his game. This can be done by using the Opposition Instructions - closing down always, show onto weaker foot and hard tackling.[/FOOTBALLMANAGERTIPS]

They perhaps want new contracts? Offer them anyway. It can only be a beneficial thing. It may also have something to do with their squad status. But it's probably because you're an inexperienced manager and they feel uncomfortable working with you.

Morale and teamtalks are absolutely crucial in this new version. Teamtalks before the match and at half-time can quite literally be the difference between a win and a loss. Tactics are useful too, of course. ;) But always pay attention to the pre-match odds and base your teamtalk and tactical set-up around that.

Also, hire an Assistant Manager with suitable stats for Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Potential/Ability and Motivating. During the match, ask for your assistant's feedback every 10 - 15 minutes and implement every change he suggests with regards to Opposition Instructions. If you're unsure of teamtalks, ask your assistant to take care of them.

Furthermore, almost every single opponent will have a nominated playmaker in the centre of the park - after 15 minutes, identify him and ruin his game. This can be done by using the Opposition Instructions - closing down always, show onto weaker foot and hard tackling.[/FOOTBALLMANAGERTIPS]

man speaks the truth here.

Team talks are where its at with this game, if your a big team your expected to win almost every game, deal with your team talks as such, if your a smaller team then judge which ones you realistically should be winning and target them for positive team talks. Mind games can work but be careful they can backfire badly if used at the wrong time.

Ive not found training makes a huge difference but i tend to set it up and just make sure i have the coaches to cover it all each season so it may do more than ive gave it credit for. Try to find a good balance especially up front, big powerful man along side smaller more skillful man. Wingers are a great asset in this game as well, make sure they are fast and can dribble past people and you will have a lot of luck. Most important is goal keeper tho i think, i couldnt break the top 4 till i got a top class keeper between the sticks, helps out the whole team massivly.

Yeah, I usually find who their play makers and target men are and ensure my men are closing him down, showing him onto the weaker foot etc. Same goes for wingers and lone strikers.

I spend alot of time tweaking tactics, giving attacking freedom to only a couple of players who have the skill and capability. Mostly just Ronaldo and one of my fullbacks, and they manage to provide and score a lot. I usually pause the game to carry out most of the things the assistant has told me to do. I'm winning games, but that'cs cos I'm ManYoo. I was doing all this with Wednesday and I got smashed every week.

really?? Weird, but then ive never tried to run this one without steam.

Yeah i wanted to go somewhere completely different where i didnt know all the good players worth signing. Eastern europe could be fun, i did toy with asia and amercia but neither really grabs me plus del tells me the laws regarding player transfer in america are a bit wacky.

USA does have weird transfer rules. They should really stick to rounders and netball.

i echo the above sentiments about team talks, i've found them critical on this game and getting a good assistant manager is crucial as well.

i've had success (double promotion with cambridge, loads of trophies with tigres in mexico) and failure (got west ham relegated thanks to an 18 game winless streak, sacked by charlton for not getting them in the play offs).

currently in portugal with benfica, cant break the monopoly of sporting and porto so quite a challenge. four seasons in and all i've won is the portugese league cup. still its a real challenge to try and win the title and guarenteed european football every season.

american transfer rules are indeed gash and beckham says he didnt go there for the money!

After a couple of false starts with well-kent teams, I decided to go to the lower leagues of a nation I had not tried for a while and took over Regensburg in the German Third Division.

Finished 10th in first season, mainly due to an appalling run after February where we slumped from 2nd.

Second season is only a few games old and had started impressively enough until my first choice left back got injured and his replacement had an absolute howler, scoring a 4.1 and giving away two penalties in a 5-1 drubbing!

I find that, no matter how promising your strike pairing is (I snapped up the league's player of the year on a free transfer in the close season) it is virtually impossible to get them both banging in the goals and getting good ratings.

I even tried setting up a specific training regime for strikers which focused almost exclusively on shooting, attacking and set pieces, alongside the fitness elements, but it didn't make any difference.

Anyone got any tips? I was playing 4-4-2 diamond attacking but have changed to a simple 4-4-2 attacking this season due to a change in personnel.

Strikers will not form a decent partnership unless their mentalities are set differently, as they will get in each others' way and attack the same balls.

Consider one striker a 'last shoulder' man, and one a 'support player' or 'target man'.

Your 'last shoulder' striker should be quick and have good finishing, mentality set high (attacking), forward runs 'often'.

Your target man should either be good in the air, or able to hold the ball up well at his feet. Long-range shooting attributes are advantageous. His mentality should be set to about five or six 'notches' lower than your 'last shoulder' striker. This will cause him to drop into the space between your midfield and their defence, creating space for your other striker to attack and drawing centre-halves out of position. His forward runs should be set to 'sometimes' (the middle one).

Boom, boom, boom, goal, goal, goal.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Realise this thread has been deid for a while, but I have held off buying the new game as I am having an absolute stonker as AFC Wimbledon on 2009.

Currently in season 2019-20 and have just started my second season in Premiership after taking them up through the leagues.

By far the most rewarding FM game I have started, ever.