aberdeen-music

football manager 2009

The Milner

I'm officially crap at FM09. Champ. man. was the last one I played and I was ace at it. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong! I'll start the season fine - generally with my "team in England" Blackburn Rovers - and I'll be sitting in the top 6 or 7 then as soon as I lose a game all my players hate me and I just continue losing to the point of getting humped by Stoke City at Ewood Park. After that all my players want to leave and I get sacked.

It's really upsetting. Especially when I've spent a whole weekend trying to sign players, getting close, then missing out on them. Any advice?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm officially crap at FM09. Champ. man. was the last one I played and I was ace at it. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong! I'll start the season fine - generally with my "team in England" Blackburn Rovers - and I'll be sitting in the top 6 or 7 then as soon as I lose a game all my players hate me and I just continue losing to the point of getting humped by Stoke City at Ewood Park. After that all my players want to leave and I get sacked.

It's really upsetting. Especially when I've spent a whole weekend trying to sign players, getting close, then missing out on them. Any advice?

remember that a new manager will get a team playing above what they should because the players want to impress you. Make sure you have your team set up right, you have to work at it a bit more than the older champs, concentrate on player instructions, make sure you dont have a huge gap between your defence and midfield and equally between the midfield and forwards. i tend to have a sitting midfield player, someone with good positioning and tackling, also you may want to look at how determinded your players are. Also the team talks play a big part, if your team is losing a lot dont hammer them, instead try to encourage them. A change in formation might also be your problem, i always use a 4-4-2.

remember that a new manager will get a team playing above what they should because the players want to impress you. Make sure you have your team set up right, you have to work at it a bit more than the older champs, concentrate on player instructions, make sure you dont have a huge gap between your defence and midfield and equally between the midfield and forwards. i tend to have a sitting midfield player, someone with good positioning and tackling, also you may want to look at how determinded your players are. Also the team talks play a big part, if your team is losing a lot dont hammer them, instead try to encourage them. A change in formation might also be your problem, i always use a 4-4-2.

Yeah, I think my main problem is my defensive midfielder. I usually have an attacking midfielder with decent creativity and passing stats - set to practically full creative freedom - but when he's injured, knackered, in a mood or suspended I'm fucked. I use Carlos Villanueva for that. He's actually a really good attacking midfielder in the game by the way. Looking at Jean II Makoun from Lyon or Angelo Palombo from Sampdoria right now but think they'll both be too expensive with my meagre 11 million transfer budget. Any other suggestions?

Also, do you think asking your assisstant to give team talks too frequently will be detremental to my team's success? I never ken fit to say.

I heard John Fleck from Rangers becomes awesome! Shame I'd be giving rangers money if I bought him though.

Thanks for the advice

Yeah, I think my main problem is my defensive midfielder. I usually have an attacking midfielder with decent creativity and passing stats - set to practically full creative freedom - but when he's injured, knackered, in a mood or suspended I'm fucked. I use Carlos Villanueva for that. He's actually a really good attacking midfielder in the game by the way. Looking at Jean II Makoun from Lyon or Angelo Palombo from Sampdoria right now but think they'll both be too expensive with my meagre 11 million transfer budget. Any other suggestions?

Also, do you think asking your assisstant to give team talks too frequently will be detremental to my team's success? I never ken fit to say.

I heard John Fleck from Rangers becomes awesome! Shame I'd be giving rangers money if I bought him though.

Thanks for the advice

Sign Mulgrew and give him free kick duties. Diamond is pretty good as well.

Thanks for the advice

Palombo would be an excellent choice, but if you haven't got the money for him check out Blasi at Napoli. Should could you around about 5m and he's been excellent for me.

Or you can usually get Gago on loan from Real Madrid if he's not out somewhere already.

You need to spend a bit of time getting your tactics right. The players' mentalities need to be linked to a certain degree - for example if you're playing two up front then consider one to be the target man, and one to play on the shoulder of the last defender. Target man's mentality should be lower than your other striker, with fewer forward runs whereas your last-defender-striker should have a higher mentality with forward runs set to 'often'. That way there's a natural gap between the two and your target man will drop into space between the defence and midfield.

Same kind of thing needs to work across your whole team. I have three tactics - standard, attacking and defensive - depending who I'm playing and whether or not I'm playing at home or away.

Thanks for the advice

hmm best bet id say, and this goes for playing this champ in general, get throught the first season, then the game starts to generate players and you can get some of the best young players in the world for next to nothing, keep an eye on scandinavia in the first two seasons, my current centre back and goal keeper are norwegien and i got them for under a mil each when they were young, now are both top players in the prem league.

there is a good swis boy lustemburger who is worth a punt and you'll get him for under 11m. I use Fabian Delph as my attack mid as he got very good playing constantly when he was younger, i also got jack wilshire for that position and he is amazing and can play left wing when needed. Fleck is most definately worth the money as he can cover a few positions, he doesnt get world class but definately premier league class.

As Adam says pay close attention to what players are doing in regards to each other, if you play with a really attacking midfield player you need someone behind him doing the dirty work, same goes with a striker have a big strong person playing upfront with someone skillfull. Also if you are going to use someone in that creative sense i would suggest having a back up because your team will lose alot of creativity if your main man is out.

If your going to let your assistant do some team talks make sure he has good motavation skills otherwise you might stuggle, i usualy let him do press confrences for smaller games and take control of the bigger matches for myself.

Any ideas for a cheap(ish), skillful striker. I've got Santa Cruz pretty happy and Oscar Cardoza (another Paraguyan striker) but their both big bastards. Cardoza is good by the way, think he plays for Benefica. McCarthy has been rubbish, Roberts is useless and Derbyshire is ineffectual unless against smaller teams in the cup. Might get a right winger as well as Emerton is good but not brilliant. I paniced in the last day of the summer transfer window and bought Barry Robson for 7 million. He's actually been quite good but not worth all that money. Scored with his first touch of the ball for Blackburn Rovers away to Arsenal. Beat them 2-0! This new campaign is definitely going better. Thanks for your help lads.

Any ideas for a cheap(ish), skillful striker. I've got Santa Cruz pretty happy and Oscar Cardoza (another Paraguyan striker) but their both big bastards. Cardoza is good by the way, think he plays for Benefica. McCarthy has been rubbish, Roberts is useless and Derbyshire is ineffectual unless against smaller teams in the cup. Might get a right winger as well as Emerton is good but not brilliant. I paniced in the last day of the summer transfer window and bought Barry Robson for 7 million. He's actually been quite good but not worth all that money. Scored with his first touch of the ball for Blackburn Rovers away to Arsenal. Beat them 2-0! This new campaign is definitely going better. Thanks for your help lads.

if you can get him, neymar is amazing and cheap when he is younger, fletcher from hibs is at liverpool in my game and doing rather well, i also got this cech called kadlec i think who did a great job in his first few seasons before i got more money. Lee miller will score goals as well, and the boy sammy stewart although not a striker is a very good bet for the future. Vanger Love is also really good in this version for some reason and again you can get him for not too much.

Zenit are a great team to raid in the first season they have heaps of very good players who you can get without morgaging your stadium.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild
So, I'm buying a new computer today that will probably be able to handle FM. Is it easy to find on Torrents, or am I gonna have to buy it?

I'm gonna invest in it on Friday when I get paid, too. Updated January patch available too.

Yas min.

just finished my 9th season with leeds now, won the prem league last two years in a row and got to the champs league final, missed out on the scotland job to David Moyes tho which was a bit of a kick in the teeth!! Dont know if i should stay for another few seasons and see if i can get them to build a new stadium or try for a job abroad, it would be interesting to see what happens with a new stadium tho, never managed to get a team to do it so far but the bank manager is a happy man at the moment.