aberdeen-music

Top 10 Films

Alkaline

Ridiculously hard thing to do...but right now...in no particular order. Mix of long term faves and more recently viewed films I found especially affecting in some way.

Billy Liar

Summer Interlude

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Closely Observed Trains

Woyzek

Before Sunrise/Sunset

ET

Empire Strikes Back

Revolutionary Road

The Death of Mr Lazarescu

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculously hard thing to do...but right now...in no particular order. Mix of long term faves and more recently viewed films I found especially affecting in some way.

Billy Liar

Summer Interlude

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Closely Observed Trains

Woyzek

Before Sunrise/Sunset

ET

Empire Strikes Back

Revolutionary Road

The Death of Mr Lazarescu

With the exception of Lucas and Spielberg, your choice of films is excellent. Before sunrise/sunset are very underrated films... real romantic comedies as opposed to the hottie + male with shtick formula.

Also... Herzog points!!! His bandwagon has been well and truly jumped upon now but he's always been my hero.

I'm not going to check for an older version of my 10, so these may or may not be different....

Les Enfants du Paradis

Oh Mr Porter!

Passport to Pimlico

Diva

Shaun of the Dead

Hard day's night

Private Road (although haven't seen it for decades, so might revise long-held opinion)

It's a wonderful life

Withnail and I

Freaks

With the exception of Lucas and Spielberg, your choice of films is excellent. Before sunrise/sunset are very underrated films... real romantic comedies as opposed to the hottie + male with shtick formula.

Also... Herzog points!!! His bandwagon has been well and truly jumped upon now but he's always been my hero.

Thank you, but don't be a snob, the three Spielberg and Lucas films there are all 10/10s. Glad you agree about Before Sunrise/Before Sunset, not sure I'd call them comedies although they are so naturalistic that there are the funny/light moments that you would expect in natural conversation between two people. I've liked Herzog for quite a while although I'd only seen Nosferatu, Stroszek and Fitzcarraldo. Didn't see Woyzeck until quite recently.

Thank you, but don't be a snob, the three Spielberg and Lucas films there are all 10/10s. Glad you agree about Before Sunrise/Before Sunset, not sure I'd call them comedies although they are so naturalistic that there are the funny/light moments that you would expect in natural conversation between two people. I've liked Herzog for quite a while although I'd only seen Nosferatu, Stroszek and Fitzcarraldo. Didn't see Woyzeck until quite recently.

I've got a list of reasons why I don't like Speilberg and Lucas, some are snobby, some are not. My taste in films spans from wanky to bargain bin and I genuinely am not one of these people who turn their noses up at films. Just because something is popular and makes money doesn't make me hate it (because that's insane) but I do think the invention of the 'Blockbuster summer movie' ruined cinema a little (i've moaned about it before on here) and I blame those two... Although Jaws is a great film.

For Lucky Rathan and anyone who put Amelie in their list... watch this:

. Made me enjoy the beginning of Amelie even more.

the wonderers awesome!

not in any order.

1. The Big Lebowski

2.The Blues Brothers

3.Dead Man's Shoes

4. A Room for Romeo Brass

5.The Dark Knight

6.Withnail and I

7. In America

8. The Constant Gardner

9. City of God

10. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

1. The Good The Bad and The Ugly

2.Resevoir Dogs

3.Platoon

4.Goodfellas

5.Amelie

6.Alien

7.Blade Runner

8.Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

9. The Graduate

10. Hook

Stand by Me

Amorros Perros

Grosse Point Blank

Couldnt just do ten, damn it

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would revisit this as well as it does tend to alter a bit so in no particular order my current thinking top then with ten bubbling under that on a different day might get in the top ten.

Aliens (Directors cut)

Bladerunner (newest Blu Ray version)

Dead Man's Shoes

Withnail And I

Kick Ass

Outland

Gladiator

Dirty Rotten Scoundrals

Lucky Number Slevin

bubbling under

Alien

Inglorious Bastards