aberdeen-music

Top 10 Films

Alkaline

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's this whole notion of carefree and intelligent. Bloody idealism. It really is a film for middle class / age women.

The whole concept of the film is that she is not carefree, she is isolated and socially awkward and tries to remedy this by helping others.

I'd also rather watch a film that appeals to middle-aged women than to teenage boys.

The whole concept of the film is that she is not carefree, she is isolated and socially awkward and tries to remedy this by helping others.

I'd also rather watch a film that appeals to middle-aged women than to teenage boys.

I can't remember enough about the film to say much but I'd suggest these themes you mention are nothing more than vehicles by which to draw sympathy for a subject uncommonly associated with solemn vulnerability - a beautiful girl, in what is basically a feel-good romantic comedy for the thinking woman. At heart is another love story, as if there weren't enough films dealing with that already. I get sick of our stroy-telling industry's infatuation with sex as the be-all and end-all; there's enough in reality, yet we're bombarded by these preposterous, and frankly boring, images of perfection.

Perhaps we should have another thread for worst films you've seen.

I'm not sure if that's the one I'm thinking of, but does Woody Allen pretty much always play bumbling losers? I haven't seen him in anything half decent.

Yes, although his character's a bit different in the "early, funny ones". He's definitely one of my faves, I can't really think of any of his films that I didn't enjoy, although there are a few I haven't seen.

I watched it last night. Whilst I'm glad I did watch it, I certainly did not enjoy it. It is one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen.

Grim isn't it, I think it's the best anti-war film I've seen though and should be required viewing for everyone, especially the naive video-game generation who think war is a barrel of laughs, or even the people in the military who drop bombs on people from 30,000 feet or fire missiles from a drone literally controlled by a joystick from an office in the USA who are totally detached from the realities of what they are doing. Some of the scenes had me imagining the sheer terror of what it must have felt like to be a civilian in Belgrade, Dresden or Baghdad when the bombs started falling, letalone Hiroshima or Nagasaki. The fact the conflict starts in Iran really hits home the importance and relevance of the message when you look at whats going on in the news headlines today aswell. People were crapping themselves about nuclear war in the 1980's but now we've got political commentators actively calling for the first-strike use of nuclear weapons against Iran and nobody gives a shit.

There is an american film from around the same time called "The Day After" and it doesn't even come close to threads in its realism. I watched "The War Game" after threads and it was a bit of a relief frankly because the 1965 sensibilities and production values made it a bit more light hearted, even though it's still quite a grim film.

Grim isn't it, I think it's the best anti-war film I've seen though and should be required viewing for everyone, especially the naive video-game generation who think war is a barrel of laughs, or even the people in the military who drop bombs on people from 30,000 feet or fire missiles from a drone literally controlled by a joystick from an office in the USA who are totally detached from the realities of what they are doing. Some of the scenes had me imagining the sheer terror of what it must have felt like to be a civilian in Belgrade, Dresden or Baghdad when the bombs started falling, letalone Hiroshima or Nagasaki. The fact the conflict starts in Iran really hits home the importance and relevance of the message when you look at whats going on in the news headlines today aswell. People were crapping themselves about nuclear war in the 1980's but now we've got political commentators actively calling for the first-strike use of nuclear weapons against Iran and nobody gives a shit.

There is an american film from around the same time called "The Day After" and it doesn't even come close to threads in its realism. I watched "The War Game" after threads and it was a bit of a relief frankly because the 1965 sensibilities and production values made it a bit more light hearted, even though it's still quite a grim film.

There are so many aspects that make it terrifying. The apathy of the characters to the unfolding world events stick out to me a great deal. It was a good touch to see the young boy making a model fighter jet at the start of the film. The unfolding horrors of the civil disorder really stood out to me like seeing looters being shot and people eating a dead sheep raw.

I would certainly recommend the people watch it, but don't expect to enjoy it.

I don't think that people are move naive then when the film was made to be honest, I can imagine that the general public reaction to an upcoming World War would be very similar to how Threads portrayed it.

Yes, I can imagine you enjoying the potting shed scene.

Actually the main message of the film is what stuck in my mind, I watched it when I was in secondary school and didn't see much difference between the tactics of the warders in Scum and how my school was run, and also the way that the prisoners willingly submitted to their "authority" despite outnumbering and in some cases outwitting the neanderthals in charge. It is brilliant allegory, not just for the pissed off schoolkid but also the pissed off adult.

On the other hand, there will always be people like you who just watch films for the fight/rape scenes,

I looked up Threads on a British TV download site, and a lot of the comments were along the lines of "This film is horrifying", "I still have nightmares after seeing this 20 years ago", but also "I watched this at school". Certainly piqued my interest anyway. Might be a hard sell with Mrs Bigsby though.

Actually the main message of the film is what stuck in my mind, I watched it when I was in secondary school and didn't see much difference between the tactics of the warders in Scum and how my school was run, and also the way that the prisoners willingly submitted to their "authority" despite outnumbering and in some cases outwitting the neanderthals in charge. It is brilliant allegory, not just for the pissed off schoolkid but also the pissed off adult.

Also, I find the homosexual rape scene highly arousing.

fixed...

(8 characters)

I get sick of our stroy-telling industry's infatuation with sex as the be-all and end-all; there's enough in reality, yet we're bombarded by these preposterous, and frankly boring, images of perfection.

I agree, once again this isn't a criticism that can be attached to Amelie though. In one of the first scenes you see her silently trying to hold back her laughter as she has sex with some guy desperately trying to prove his virility and prowess on top of her.

In fact it makes a point at the start of the film of pointing out that all Amelie's experiences with men have been a let down, and there's almost a degree of asexuality to Amelie at the start of the film.