aberdeen-music

Would you say...

bryn

I learn by pissing around for hours. I mean, I pick up bits and pieces along the way, but as for 'practicing', I can never get into a routine with that. Its like goin to the gym, only die hards keep it up. I think my style is original in the sense I've never bothered to learn a full song by anyone. I got a 4track after playing guitar for about 2 years so all I've ever done is create, rather than learn iron maiden solos.

I think as far as an ORIGINAL style goes... well I think VERY few people in the world can claim to have achieved that status.

As far as my own style goes, I would definitely say Kirk Hammett meets Chuck Schuldiner (from Death)... with a hint of Marty Friedman (ex-megadeth).

But that comes from the fact I grew up playing guitar to Metallica so I can't help the kirk factor - and the fact I like to use exotic scales similar to that of Chuck and Marty.

If you want to stream a MMW song, listen to the solo about 3 minutes into the song "I Killed Rock And Roll" and even though it's only about 10 seconds long, you can see where I'm coming from.

http://www.purevolume.com/mymindsweapon

the guitarists in Meshuggah have parts in their songs wich i think are original

if you listen to the album contradictions collapse, it came out in 1991 which means they were writing the songs in 1990 or before and the stuff as amazing. Some of the guitaring is so far ahead of its time.... they use the weirdest scales in their solos.

they are an amazing band. I think they have a very original style

as for my own, it is far from original but has been tainted by the likes of max cavalera and kerry king...

they have not influenced me in my Femora writing but when i jam i play pure metal

• 2 weeks later...
I learn by pissing around for hours. I mean' date=' I pick up bits and pieces along the way, but as for 'practicing', I can never get into a routine with that. Its like goin to the gym, only die hards keep it up. I think my style is original in the sense I've never bothered to learn a full song by anyone. I got a 4track after playing guitar for about 2 years so all I've ever done is create, rather than learn iron maiden solos.[/quote']

I'm in a similar boat. I practise quite a lot of theory, and PARTS of songs sometimes for examples of tricky chord changes, but I'm more intresting in creating than copying.

I agree, I think its pretty hard to sit down and try and come up with a 'new' style of music, because 99% of the time, whatever you write will remind you of something youve heard already.

I personally grew up listening to the likes of Metallica, GNR etc. Nowadays, I have a more varied range of tastes i.e. Fast food roc........erm........erm...... :help:

Anyhoo, my point is, as long as your happy with your style, thats what counts...

:walks backwards slowly towards the door while sweating:

:swearing: