aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

Don't know too much about bigsby trems, had one on a guitar I kept for less than a year. Certainly never converted a guitar for bigsby installation.

Question is, is the mod reversible? If it is, the mod is nothing more than an experiment. I'm guessing holes and shit have been drilled. Nonetheless, the question is posed.

Should be pretty simple to reverse the mod - you'll have a guitar with holes drilled in it and probably a fair bit of damage to the finish as well. If the trem unit is misaligned there's a chance of damage to the neck too.

I'd say the main issue is string tension tearing the trem off the body - it looks like a cheap Bigsby ripoff rather than the real thing. Plus it's probably a unit designed for a flat top guitar so it's not going to be all that securely mounted.

Should be pretty simple to reverse the mod - you'll have a guitar with holes drilled in it and probably a fair bit of damage to the finish as well. If the trem unit is misaligned there's a chance of damage to the neck too.

Not really reversible then. By reversible I mean that the guitar is returned to it's original condition before the mod, holes to fill, finish to repair would negate that. Even if the holes are filled, the composition of the body of the guitar has changed. Some mods can be done that are wholly reversible, we'll hear in due course if this was one of them.

Not so sure about the neck comment, if the trem is asymmetrical wrt a line through the length of the neck, certainly the load on the neck will also be asymmetrical, but then I'd of thought that that is no different for all guitars. String tension on top three strings is of the order of 60lbs, tension in lower three strings is of the order of 45 -50lbs, hence asymmetrical load.

I'd say the main issue is string tension tearing the trem off the body - it looks like a cheap Bigsby ripoff rather than the real thing. Plus it's probably a unit designed for a flat top guitar so it's not going to be all that securely mounted.

As in the above, bridge post loads are dissimilar in a unmodified guitar.

I've had a few people I know build electric guitars, make mods etc. The impression I get is that it is way more challenging than perceived. Matching necks to bodies be a significant challenge, which is readily fucked up.

The benefit of YA doing mods on guitars depends on whether you are learning anything from these projects. If you are then there is a value, but of course, an expense.

As in the above, bridge post loads are dissimilar in a unmodified guitar.

Bridge post load will have little or nothing to do with whether this trem comes off the body. The main anchor point for the strings has moved back a couple of inches, and the back of the trem is secured by woodscrews.

Cheap woodscrews + amateur modder + unit that doesn't sit flush = oops...

So I'm curious to know, if you don't mind me asking, did you have to drill any holes to do the mod?

yes I did I used a screw driver instead of a drill though I made sure the holes were lines up with the intonation bar but since the bigsby wasn't wide enough I had to put it at an angle. There is bigsby style tremolos that require only the whole for the strap button by the way any way I got it checked out in ii music by Jamie , he said its fine I just re string it wrong

Bridge post load will have little or nothing to do with whether this trem comes off the body. The main anchor point for the strings has moved back a couple of inches, and the back of the trem is secured by woodscrews.

Cheap woodscrews + amateur modder + unit that doesn't sit flush = oops...

Just had a look at a bigsby trem (it's been a while). There are no bridge posts.

If the trem is not perfectly square, there is a good chance there is a twisting torque about the wood screws to which you refer.

Edited by fat ol' sun

yes I did I used a screw driver instead of a drill though

YoungA, I offer the following:

Boring a hole with a screwdriver instead of a drill is not at all good. It simply can not end well.

I made sure the holes were lines up with the intonation bar but since the bigsby wasn't wide enough I had to put it at an angle.

If the parts don't fit physically, you don't have the correct parts. Do not undertake the project and expect a positive result if you don't have the correct tools and parts.

There is bigsby style tremolos that require only the whole for the strap button by the way any way I got it checked out in ii music by Jamie , he said its fine I just re string it wrong

Jamie knows his stuff and is very polite.

it was a success in my mind no matter how much i could have mucked up the guitar but the guitar is now fine, just need the spring for the bigsby which has been ordered then it will be perfect and why the hell is everyone having a go at me, its my guitar isnt it? i think i should be able to do what i want with it without anyone saying anything 

true dat blud

we may not agree with youngA's decisions, we can try and give him as best advice possible and tell him the possibilities of the consequences of modding without reasonable skill, just leave it at that, stop hounding him like some overbearing finger wagging adult! we were all young and full enthusiasm once

• Upvote 1

If anyone posted a pic of a mod like that there would be some things said.

Given YoungA (and his previous forum names) constant trading/modding/breaking kit despite promising not to do it again when he came back last time a fair bit of comment was to be expected. None of it's been mean spirited or particularly negative, unlike some of the mods he's made.

And it doesn't look badass - it looks like someone put a piece of shit fake bigsby on a perfectly good guitar...

Edited by colb

I kinda understand that people wouldn't be happy seeing a guitar they previously owned being sort of bollocksed up, but a) if you liked it so much, you shouldn't have sold it and b) it's hardly your deceased father's beloved Gibson that you had to sell when you hit hard times.  A cheapo Stagg is a perfectly acceptable guitar to have a crack at modding.

As far as your infamous mods go, not a bad effort YoungA.  Measure twice and cut once though, eh.

true dat blud

we may not agree with youngA's decisions, we can try and give him as best advice possible and tell him the possibilities of the consequences of modding without reasonable skill, just leave it at that, stop hounding him like some overbearing finger wagging adult! we were all young and full enthusiasm once

If I am the over bearing figure waggling adult, it's not my intention to be so and certainly not to hound. The advice is given with the best of intentions, I'd sooner see somebody do a good job than a poor one.

I knew I could break it and that but that was my choice I was willing to make, got to admit it looks pretty bad ass though

It could look badass, but the wonky trem negates any possible badassery. If it plays well, then alright, but unless you're planning on keeping it forever and ever, you'll have a hard time shifting it when you undoubtedly get bored of it.

In all honesty, it's a good thing that you're interested in delving into guitar modifications, but to me, your modifications seem unnecessary, and perhaps for cosmetic value, rather than practicality, like the upside down headstock you were hellbent on fitting onto that Ridgewood Tele.