aberdeen-music

Death metal!?

N.M

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff walker was in electro hippies (check AMG, it's got all your answers)...

(blog)

Along with originators Napalm Death, Carcass pioneered the heavy metal subgenre of grindcore, a style that in its purest form consisted of extremely short, chaotic blasts of guitar/bass/drums noise overlaid with guttural, bleeding-throat vocals. Like Napalm Death, Carcass eventually shifted towards more traditional song structures, and then into a more accessible yet still highly intense thrash/grindcore hybrid. Where Napalm Death concerned itself with social protest in its often barely comprehensible lyrics, Carcass' early vocabulary was taken straight from medical textbooks and glossaries, achieving a bizarrely humorous gore factor most metal bands could only dream of; underneath song titles like "Vomited Anal Tract," "Excoriating Abdominal Emanation," "Crepitating Bowel Erosion," and "Cadaveric Incubator of Endo-Parasites" lay an almost pathological disgust with flesh (human and otherwise) that probably explains why everyone in the band is a vegetarian.

Carcass was initially formed in 1985 in Liverpool by guitarist Bill Steer, drummer Ken Owen, and an Indian vocalist known only as Sanjiv. Steer eventually joined Napalm Death, where he met medical student and Electro Hippies bassist Jeff Walker; Walker was added to Carcass' lineup in 1987 as both bassist and lead vocalist. Unable to pursue both musical projects at once, Steer left Napalm Death to concentrate on his original band. Carcass made its recorded debut in 1988 with the album Reek of Putrefaction, which made a strong impression in the metal underground with its astoundingly graphic artwork and lyrics, as well as the band's brutal musical attack. 1989's Symphonies of Sickness only upped the ante, throwing in enough multisyllabic medical jargon to lend an air of black humor to the band's tone. For 1991's Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious, Carcass added ex-Carnage guitarist Michael Amott, but it was apparent that the band was beginning to dig itself into a rut. After taking some time off, a reinvented Carcass returned in 1994 with Heartwork, a still crushing yet surprisingly accessible offering that introduced elements of melody and songcraft while toning down the cartoonish gore. Adding former Devoid guitarist Carlo Regedas, Carcass refined this tack on 1996's Swansong, which collected rave reviews from most metal critics despite some who thought the band had sold out its original ideals. Unfortunately, the latter viewpoint was held by Steer, whose departure was signalled by the record's title. Carcass subsequently disbanded, with several members reuniting in a project called Black Star; a rarities/outtakes collection called Wake Up and Smell the Carcass appeared later in 1996.

I missed the ENT gig, I bet that was fun...

is it just me, or are we missing the "good old days" with all these fucking amazing bands coming up here (who was the promoter that got them all up ? THANK YOU!)...

I think Ross in moshulu is going to be great ... seems like we could see those days returning (great bands, and ofter , in aberdeen).

Or am I just missing the point (and am too old to notice allthe great bands coming to the deen) ?

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by lepeep:

I missed the ENT gig, I bet that was fun...

is it just me, or are we missing the "good old days" with all these fucking amazing bands coming up here (who was the promoter that got them all up ? THANK YOU!)...

I think Ross in moshulu is going to be great ... seems like we could see those days returning (great bands, and ofter , in aberdeen).

Or am I just missing the point (and am too old to notice allthe great bands coming to the deen) ?

Yeah, the ENT show was pretty awesome. Not sure who arranged the show. Sorry.

And thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Dechristianise:

Nah your not too old to be missing these bands.

nothing that great has came up here in a while.

Extreme Noise Terror aswell FUCK !

Calum, you will love this story:

A few years back (say 2001) me and my friend Dave went to see Extreme Noise terror and a Failed Humanity (another death metal band) play at Harlow Square in Essex.

Anyway there was hardly anyone there, but during the Failed Humanity set there was this guy with spikey hair, leather jacket and bottle of cider going mental thinking he was cool doing all these death grunts to the failed humanity songs. (incidentally Failed Humanity covered Hammer Smashed Face by cannibal Corpse - ACE!!!)

Anyway, the cider guy was pissing me and Dave off so during a pit we floored him!

Turns out Extreme Noise Terror cancelled the show (which we were unaware of until after Failed Humanity had finished), but the singer turned up anyway to watch the gig....and he was the dude we floored!

HAHAHA!

Guest highroller

also..the budget would have been alot lower on the earlier carcass records...but even as the bands got bigger as they used scott burns he was still rubbish...although "world demise" is awesome production...i think he flew through on a few good production jobs but most of the time he was shit...

Guest allsystemsfail

While folks have discused the merits of proto crust gods Bolt Thrower, any folks here love crust? You know, HELLBASTARD, AMEBIX, AXEGRINDER, DEVIATED INSTINCT...?

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

Calum, you will love this story:

A few years back (say 2001) me and my friend Dave went to see Extreme Noise terror and a Failed Humanity (another death metal band) play at Harlow Square in Essex.

Anyway there was hardly anyone there, but during the Failed Humanity set there was this guy with spikey hair, leather jacket and bottle of cider going mental thinking he was cool doing all these death grunts to the failed humanity songs. (incidentally Failed Humanity covered Hammer Smashed Face by cannibal Corpse - ACE!!!)

Anyway, the cider guy was pissing me and Dave off so during a pit we floored him!

Turns out Extreme Noise Terror cancelled the show (which we were unaware of until after Failed Humanity had finished), but the singer turned up anyway to watch the gig....and he was the dude we floored!

HAHAHA!

heh, i've got a similar story involving someone else who has been posting on this thread from when napalm death last played in aberdeen. we were standing watching the support band when said person became aware of a farty smell in our area. keen to discover the source of this he started sniffing people around him including a dishevelled fellow in front of us with long hair. he went right up behind him and gave him a right good sniff before declaring that the guy smelt of farts, this proclamation was greeted with much hilarity until napalm death took the stage and i pointed out that the guy who smelt of farts was in fact barney. :)

anyone want to own up to that one? *glares in the direction of le peep*

Originally posted by allsystemsfail:

Anyone here catch Extreme Noise Terror at the Pelican Club 1992?

No I was pursuaded to go to the 6 th year school dance instead. Bah humbug ! But I've still got my ENT / Fithkick split LP though...

I've also got a Peaceville Sampler LP - called Hiatus ? Canna beat a little Extra Hot Sauce and Electro Hippes,

Dave