aberdeen-music

Death metal!?

N.M

Originally posted by lepeep:

wasn't it obelisc and inextremis that were doing all the death metal supports in the early 90's ?

(cancer, bolt thrower, paradise lost etc)...

all those gigs were on in "churchills" (upstairs), I think it was called "ceasars" back then.

Wasn't Daz (from the dawntreaders) , the drummer in Obelisc ?

Cancer aswell ...... DAMMIT

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest highroller

Dan and i will both say that Icon and Draconian Times are awesome records...

Very heavy and beautiful...total gothic doom/death metal while still being uncheesy and VERY tasteful...

The way that gregor macintosh (lead guitar) adds a very gothic feel by doing lead guitar melodies over just about everything...

They are not into speed pretty much at all...

Did you know that Icon sold faster (but obviously not more) than the black album in germany...? Some said that Icon was better than the black album...I prefer Draconian by a whisker...

dans take will be good...

Originally posted by Dechristianise:

The older Paradise lost was quite good

i have some of their songs on a peacevile sampler

Dan and Ben what would their best album to check out?

No Ben, I like Shades of god but the songs aren't THAT good and the production is a bit thin!

Calum, I'd suggest you buy "Icon" It's heavy, got amazing songs but also a sound that was like no one else.

If you want their death stuff, go for "Gothic". I think it's balls but much better than Lost Paradise.

To me, Paradide Lost have a very similar path to Carcass in terms of progression/production on albums etc:

Lost Paradise = Reek Of Putrifaction

Gothic = Symphonies

Shades Of God = Necroticism

Icon = Heartwork

Draconian Times = Swansong

(then PL did a bunch of really crappy albums after that, whereas Carcass split up)

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by Dan Atom:

I was kinda lucky, I got into all those bands when they were at their best form

Paradise Lost - Icon/Draconian Times

Napalm Death - Greed Killing/Inside The Torn Apart

Carcass - Heartwork (although not properly into them til later)

Bolt Thrower - heard them but never got into them

But even though I was into them, I was still kinda young and no one else I knew would go to those sort of gigs!

I have to disagree regarding Napalm Death. Their debut full length "Scum"? Well, little comes close, the guys then still a part of the punk community, as was Earache.

Guest highroller

Calum, if i had the time to go to heaps more shows i would...the thing is GOOD death metal bands arent coming up now and if one plays glasgow..like a reformed obituary or carcass then im sure dan and i would go down so therefore you could come with us...

Guest highroller

the album cover is very colourful and has a womans head on the cover in a very statue like look and lots of like flowers and a shell around it...its pretty weird...

I was going to say that that list to me was when those bands had become "too grown up"!

carcass peaked with descanting the insalubrious (spelling ?!)

ND peaked on Harmony Corruption

Boltthrower still grinding out their same sound, but to me, warmaster is AMAZING...

but I suppose it all just depends on when you actaully got into the music, and when you "got out" of it (not that you ever go off your historical musical taste)...

for me, deathmetal from 1989 - 1994, the best times

Guest highroller

haha does anyone remember skyclad...hahahahaha

fucking awful...it was like folk death metal with a fiddle or violin...

The little fat frontman guy was such a tool.

Even tho i wasn't alive for most of it

1986 - 1994 was the best of it

it went from

Celtic Frost - 1986

Carcass/Napalm Death - 1988

Cannibal Corpse/Pungent Stench/Autopsy - 1990

and after it was Carcass and napalm death again and after it all the death metal stuff lost its touch and all sounded the same

Ben's answer is awesome.

Here's more of a synopsis;

Icon, is really heavy but somewhat beautiful too. Every song is great and like Ben says, there are lead melodies over everything which totally add to the gothic vibe. Classy but totally none cheesy doom metal.

Draconian Times took the Icon formula but mixed it with (arguably) even stronger songs and made PL untouchable at what they did. The song's were awesome and super-memorable, and although not quite as heavy it was equally as dark.

I also prefer Draconian Times by a whisker, but that's only like saying that a Blow job with a mars bar afterwards is better than a blow job.

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by lepeep:

wasn't it obelisc and inextremis that were doing all the death metal supports in the early 90's ?

(cancer, bolt thrower, paradise lost etc)...

all those gigs were on in "churchills" (upstairs), I think it was called "ceasars" back then.

Wasn't Daz (from the dawntreaders) , the drummer in Obelisc ?

Yes they were. Both Obelisk and Inextremis did indeed play death metal supports back then.

Hey, Ceasers, that's right.

Shit, I'd forgotten that Daz was a member of The Dawntreaders. Think the last time I saw Daz was just after we'd both caught Christian Death at the Pelican Club late '92.