aberdeen-music

Growing veg & herbs in yr kitchen

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

What can you grow? I got a basil plant that has been doing very nicely and given my tomato sauce some f-f-fresh flavour. At the weekend, I planted some jalapeno seeds that my girlfriend's mum gave me. What next? Apparently you can get tiny tomato plants that only grow about a foot tall, and I shall pick up some more herbs too. But where in Aberdeen sells them? And what other veg is growable in a small area like my kitchen? :up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie
You can get the wee tomato plants at Dobbies Garden World, Hazlehead for a mere 99p, along with various types of peppers and aubergines n' shit. There are also heaps of different herbs for 99p each, or maybe it's 1.99.

Went to Cocker's on Lang Stracht at lunch and bought a few mini-tomato plants - 79p each if anyone's interested. One is called Micro Tom and produces tiny fruits (about the size of small grapes apparently) and the other is called Tiny Tim and produces cherry tomatoes. If these bastards grow properly, and my chillis do too, I'll be pretty happy with a couple o' herbs on the side to keep things interesting. :up:

Went to Cocker's on Lang Stracht at lunch and bought a few mini-tomato plants - 79p each if anyone's interested. One is called Micro Tom and produces tiny fruits (about the size of small grapes apparently) and the other is called Tiny Tim and produces cherry tomatoes. If these bastards grow properly, and my chillis do too, I'll be pretty happy with a couple o' herbs on the side to keep things interesting. :up:

Cockers! Pfft!

• 1 year later...

its really easy to grow a lot of stuff on your kitchen windowsill. We give away tomato and chili plants at work each year and they usually do well.

The trick is not to over water them. That'll kill them quicker than under watering them. You should get some tomato fertilizer and give them a feed once a week. Don't just plant them in a huge pot and leave them, they actually do better if you stage the pots you use, steadily getting bigger each time you repot.

Its also a good idea to mist the leaves if you can. The air in your home can be really dry and the ends of the leaves may go brown.

If your window is in full sun, it might be a good idea to shade them a bit.

These days you can get mini versions of most things, so I suggest you try the following - peas, beans, courgette, tomatoes, any herbs, "cut and come again lettuce" the lettuces are really good 'cos you just take a few leaves off and it keeps growing.

If you're successful at this, you'll be soon taking your flask down to the allotment, talking about composting and listening to radio 4.....

...perhaps not.

good luck

pete

inthehills

What can you grow? I got a basil plant that has been doing very nicely and given my tomato sauce some f-f-fresh flavour. At the weekend, I planted some jalapeno seeds that my girlfriend's mum gave me. What next? Apparently you can get tiny tomato plants that only grow about a foot tall, and I shall pick up some more herbs too. But where in Aberdeen sells them? And what other veg is growable in a small area like my kitchen? :up:

I'm currently growing basil, mint, parsley and strawberries (the first three are doing brilliantly (basil plant is massive), the strawberry plant is a little sluggish...)

Also growing mushrooms, they're really easy and low maintenance, you just need a box around 10-12cm deep with a lid, some mushroom compost and spawn which you can buy online, but loads of places sell compete kits cheaply.

All you need to do is give them a fine covering with mist every day and keep them somewhere dark and warm. If you can leave the covering mould intact when you pick them then you'll find that you can get a really big yield from just one set of spawn. :up: