aberdeen-music

Recommendations for headphones?

Morning View

I used to hate earbud headphones and always went for the ones that clip onto your ears like the pmx100s.

But I recently bought sennheiser cx300s and they're brilliant. Much, much more comfortable than normal earbud headphones and the rubber casing blocks out all the external noise. Because they're actually in my ears the volume doesn't need to be so loud either, meaning no irritation for workmates or anyone else nearby. Sounds better than the rubbish Phillips ones I was using before too.

We should be getting commission for getting people to buy these headphones. They are ace and they fold up too which is awesome.

Totally! I've had comments that the case looks crappy but I don't see it. I suppose it's a little old fashioned looking... I hated having to fold them up at first but it became automatic after a while and if you do it everytime after use then the chances of them getting fucked up is massively reduced :up:

Has anyone tried Sony MDR-EX35 and are they any good? Are they as good as the legendary EX-71s? How about the EX-75 or 76? I'm looking for new headphones, they have to be in-ear buds, and Sony is a brand I know and trust so I'd like to stick with Sony, but I don't really want to spend more that 20.

That question was mostly aimed at Alkaline btw.

Has anyone tried Sony MDR-EX35 and are they any good? Are they as good as the legendary EX-71s? How about the EX-75 or 76? I'm looking for new headphones, they have to be in-ear buds, and Sony is a brand I know and trust so I'd like to stick with Sony, but I don't really want to spend more that 20.

That question was mostly aimed at Alkaline btw.

They're ok i guess, cheaper than the EX-71s were and a couple of models below, the current replacement for the EX-71 is the MDREX300 (Retail 44).

There is a set of extra bass style headphones called the MDRXB20EX that are quite good for 25. They only have a 1.2m cord though and it's Y shaped rather than the one that goes round the back of your neck.

• 1 year later...
Guest idol_wild

I bought a set of AKG K44 headphones yesterday for 24.99.

I do not recommend them.

My headphones and iPod got pinched/misplaced last weekend so I need to buy a new set of 'phones.

I'm looking for a set with all round frequency definition, but I'm particularly looking for excellent bass response, decent mid-level frequencies, and not too much treble. I think I'd be willing to invest about 30-40.

Like Bono, I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Any further recommendations in the past year?

Guest idol_wild

My Sony MDR XB500s arrived today. Fuck me, they're good.

I like headphones to cancel out as much background noise as possible, and these bad boys do that - I couldn't even hear myself think. And trust me, that is a good thing.

It's how life is meant to sound.

Recommended. And cheers to Stroopy121 for the Amazon link - followed it and got the set I wanted for considerably less than retail price. Mint.

I'm rocking Sennheiser CX300ii at the moment, and they are fucking shit. They just tremble as soon as they hear a bit of bass. I'm defo going back to the Sony EX ones next time.

I just got a pair of these for 9 on ebay a couple of weeks back. My last pair of Sennheiser, in-ear headphones were totally awesome (I can't remember what model). I lost them though. They were about 40, so I thought I'd got a total bargain with these ones. They're not nearly as good but they're doing the job at 9! I use them mostly for my i-pod and I have actually put the EQ on bass booster. This seems to get the best sound for the majority of music I listen to, which is strange as they are designed for a heavy bass sound anyway. If stuff is very bass heavy though they are shite.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the dead thread revival, but my trusty phillips 'phones are dying on me as we speak.

The wife tells me there are a set of skull candy bud types in town for 12... the price is right and all but I've spotted a pair of Lucky's MRD-EX71's on eBay for 11 (shipping from china) and a pair of EX300's for 10 (shipping from the UK).

Anyone know if the 300s are any good? Better than the 71s? Are the 71s worth waiting a week for delivery? And how are skull candys for bass response? Are they just for posers who want a brand name or are they any good?

xx

I'm still using the Sennheiser CX300ii I mentioned above and they are passable, pretty poor bass response though, especially for hip hop, but they're a workhorse and they're pretty sturdy. I bought a pair of Sony MDR-EX85LP a few months back as a replacement but I don't like them. The way they are shaped means you can't cram them right into your earhole and they don't block out any outside noise. So I'm back on the Sennheisers. Still never found a headphone to replace the EX-71s, they were just immense. Best phones I ever had, first time I listened to "Dark Side Of The Moon" with them, an album I have listened to hundreds of times, I could hear all these parts in the background that I've never noticed before. Putting them in was like sex for the ear.

Can we trust these to be real?

Well... sony imports from china... it could go either way tbh. It's a discontinued model, so again, could be a load of old stock got bought in to some warehouse and is getting flogged off... the feedback is all positive for the seller if that's anything to go by?

xx

I've seen a whole lot of people rocking these headphones recently.

Beats by Dr. Dre Headphones from Dr. Dre by Monster

Anyone know if they are any good or if it's a fashion craze.

They had a pair of them in an audio/hifi shop I was in a while back and they did sound really good. Surprisingly good with mids when y ou would expect them to be really bass heavy. I could never justify spending 240 on them (and that's about the cheapest you will find them for!)