aberdeen-music

are gigs more expensive than they used to be?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I have just been thinking about this really and in the days gone by, many of the bigger touring band gigs at kef etc were far cheaper to see. anyone remember how much *that* king prawn gig with whitmore and the upstarts was? i'd be surprised if it was more than 4 pounds, yet 5 or 6 quid seems to be the norm now for large-ish touring bands. even some of the gigs people are putting on at drakes (basically free to hire) seem to be like 4 quid when it's just small scottish bands playing. I may be imagining this all but does anybody else agree?

emm...im not going to bother saying too much here - but, none of you commenting run a business do you?! :rolleyes:

i can only speak for drakes and i can assure you that charging 3/3.50 does not go far when you have to pay the acts! goodness sake, you complaining about paying 1 a band or something?! i laugh sometimes when its practically only the price of a pint to go see 3 bands! you wouldnt think twice about buying 2 drinks would you?!

sharon

Guest Tam o' Shantie

drakes ain't so bad, and I do try to buy a couple of drinks there if my wallet will let me! besides, it wasn't directed at you lot in particular sharon, lots of promoters put on gigs at drakes as far as i know. but yeah, certainly prices have gone up at kef, who remembers the days (ie, last year) of 3 pound gigs!

yeah i know it wasnt a personal dig, but door/ticket prices are normally (no matter who is puting on the gig) set around the amount you have to pay out at the end of the night.....

its all good and well if the band dont want paid much but we, and kef, and moshulu, have tours coming through with lots more overheads than you would probably imagine....we're certainly not out to rip anybody off...profit? whats that?!

I think the prices at drakes are completely reasonably, even drinks as well, but kef is just a joke. If its touring bands, its not such a big deal, but really, gigs with local bands are really overpriced in my opinion. So are drinks! Kef prices seem to have risen pretty quikly, but then again, I dont really go to Kef unless the bands are ace, I can't afford to, Clearly Drakes is a better venue in every possible way!

i don't think drakes is all that expensive - like everyone else seems to have been saying - you have to pay the bands something - even if they are local they've got their expenses to cover like everyone else...

and there are still plenty of free gigs to choose from. when you look at the costs in comparison to the lemon tree / music hall (between 10 and 20 PER TICKET now), it's laughably low.

Originally posted by DR DRAKE:

emm...im not going to bother saying too much here - but, none of you commenting run a business do you?! :rolleyes:

i can only speak for drakes and i can assure you that charging 3/3.50 does not go far when you have to pay the acts! goodness sake, you complaining about paying 1 a band or something?! i laugh sometimes when its practically only the price of a pint to go see 3 bands! you wouldnt think twice about buying 2 drinks would you?!

sharon

I don't mind paying any entry fee to Drakes whatsoever...I love the place and the value is excellent!

What I hate however is paying 5 to see 4 local bands at kef...

My comment regarding the price increase is valid, however in regards to it...I do believe it was usually a local band or two with no touring act that cost practically nothing.

Originally posted by Nicola:

Kef prices seem to have risen pretty quikly, but then again, I dont really go to Kef unless the bands are ace, I can't afford to...

And therein lies the catch 22 that is Kef. They seem to stick to a particular genre too, which may not help that much...

Guest stuartmaxwell
Originally posted by Dan Atom:

I don't mind paying any entry fee to Drakes whatsoever...I love the place and the value is excellent!

What I hate however is paying 5 to see 4 local bands at kef...

and they are usually shite local acts too a.k.a. diablo seem to play there a lot and they are a pile of pish :angel:

you rarely see decent (in my opinion) local acts playing kef because they are aware that its the shitest venue in town to play at

I enjoyed WBL's performance at One Up more than some gigs at Kef I've been to :rolleyes:

I think the drink prices definitely stop me going to gigs there (maybe any drinks promotions should be better advertised as I feel like a tit asking the bar staff for promos and getting a long list that I instantly forget and then just end up drinking expensive Bud) this is just an observation rather than a criticism as I realise that there's a business to run and I don't have to drink at gigs blah blah blah. I don't know if I'm alone in disliking the booth system either? I liked the seated layout as it was before.

Plus Kef seems to have an evil vendetta against me and put on gigs on Saturdays and Sundays a lot so I miss them thanks to work. I used to race from work and still have to pay full price to just see the headline band (and miss 2 or 3 songs into the bargain) but I cannae be arsed doing that much anymore. I love the Drakes policy where some nights get cheaper as the evening wears on depending on how many bands you've missed :laughing:

I have only ever been in one of the booths once,it was haloween, are they even open for gigs? I hate not having anywhere to sit inbetween bands, or during the crap ones! I mean, i will stand and watch most bands, but really, occasionally its so bad you need a seat!

Originally posted by Nicola:

I think the prices at drakes are completely reasonably, even drinks as well, but kef is just a joke. If its touring bands, its not such a big deal, but really, gigs with local bands are really overpriced in my opinion. So are drinks! Kef prices seem to have risen pretty quikly, but then again, I dont really go to Kef unless the bands are ace, I can't afford to, Clearly Drakes is a better venue in every possible way!

I agree with Nicola ^

drakes is aberdeens most precious cultural treasure - value and a half

kef seems a bit crap anytime ive gone in and i cant imagine id pay a fiver to see any of the emo-only based stuff they put on, and drink that disgusting watered down lager

lemon tree puts on some good bands but door tax can be tres expensive and the drinks are even more expensive which really puts me off spending more than an hour in the place....and bands, never do a short notice stand-in slot for them on a rainy monday night, without any Lemon Tree promotion or any other promotion (cos its short notice)....cos theyll actually turn round & blame you for the inevitable low turnout....tsh!

i used to rate drummonds a lot when it was free, but since they charge door fees now and they are generally only promoting ned rock im more sceptical and less likely to just wander in

the moorings is the only venue that comes close to drakes and for a night of drunken debauchery regardless of the music its very hard to beat (that applies to anywhere, not just aberdeen)....but the new 'promoters' seem to be applying their own form of 'pay to play' which is a step in the wrong direction i think

what pisses me off about the whole thing (and i am talking very generally here) is that a lot of people moan about paying to get in a gig and then proceed to get very drunk at the bar paying over inflated prices for alcohol. is a fiver for four local bands so bad? thats 1-25 a band! you know most of our venues are independent and its bloody hard enough for them to make a living as it is , i really don't know what the fuss is all about. and yes gigs are probably getting more expensive, its a horrible disease called inflation.

I was moaning about this last week...

I honestly remember thinking a tenner was expensive for a "big gig", you are looking at 15 - 20 quid now...

Times like the early 90's when I saw tool for 7.50 and the Jesus Lizard for 6...fuck me, long gone are those days !

I think 5 quid is too expensive for a local band, 2 quid TOPS.

the cheaper it is, the more people come, everyone's happy.

Originally posted by psydoll:

I don't know if I'm alone in disliking the booth system either? I liked the seated layout as it was before.

Simple comparison -

Go to the Priory, get wasted and fall asleep..end result = you getting thrown out.

Go to Kef, get wasted (and feel your wallet lighten considerably) and fall asleep..end result = no-one cares :D

i've fallen asleep in there more than once and never had a word said to me, i tire so unbelivably quickly when drunk, it sucks :(

i agree that a fiver for a local band is steep but if there's four on show then it aint bad value (depending on who the bands are of course).

even if drummonds charge 2 quid (not unreasonable) you'd be amazed how many folk wont go in (these tend to be ur ned punters though who are not really interested in live music)

well why dont you all try running your own venues then you will see why gigs are the price that they are.

honestly.......................................!

Oh, and Stuart..............Dont ask for a gig in future if we are such a crap place to play.

All the touring bands dont seem to think so.