aberdeen-music

What dance music do you guys listen to at the moment?

Guest Giles Walker

99 is an Estaminet-ish type bar next to the taxi rank on Back Wynd. It's pretty chilled out and i enjoy playing there.

On a different topic, what the hell is up with Kef right now?

Have you seen the flier for their Techno night? it looks like a prop poster for a fake night at the club in Eastenders. Their whole music policy at the moment really pisses me off, it seems they are full of djs who are so out of touch they probably don't know any music that even came out this millenium.

It is a crying shame that as the only other club in town playing underground dance music, next to Snafu, they choose to play host to such lackluster nights. I mean who the fuck listens to new school breaks any more? and who the fuck cares about the Freestylers?

Do any of the djs from there post on here? I'd love to hear a different opinion.

Yeah, that poster is pretty absurd.

I used to work in Siberia above Kef which has the same owner, so knew alot of what was going on. I believe Kef has been sold and in the next couple of years will be turned in to some sort of hotel. I think the owner has lost interest and has no real desire to promote Kef anymore.

The music policy is pretty terrible, what's the difference between Jungle Nation and Jungle Boogie? The only thing that springs to mind when I think of these nights is awful drum and bass and topless, sweaty men dancing in a strange matter. Although I believe these nights are somehow still quite popular, with the same people going every week really.

The techno night is intriguing though, does anyone have any idea who was DJing?

Me and my friend went to The Tunnels to see about putting on a monthly dirty electro/minimal/tech night on, but apparently they were fully booked for the next 3 months when we enquired. Which would leave Kef to try, but... Nah.

Thank god for Snafu, eh? Although the night put on at the Peacock Centre last month was a refreshing change, I believe this is going to become a more common occurence which is nice.

Here's a link to my friend's mix for the type of night we were planing if anyone's interested? He kept things pretty simple but there's a couple of belters in it - D.I.M, Marc Ashken + plus that last Green Velvet release is tight.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my friend went to The Tunnels to see about putting on a monthly dirty electro/minimal/tech night on, but apparently they were fully booked for the next 3 months when we enquired.

I wouldn't waste your time with them, I don't think they are interested atall in putting on nights like that. A friend of mine tried it and they just kept dicking him about and screwing it up, so he moved it to kef, they are a bunch of halfarsed jokers.

Guest Giles Walker

The place above the office is kind of alright at a glance, but has no atmosphere at all when there are people are in there. There is no difference in lighting between the bar area and the dancefloor which makes you feel out in the open slightly.

The soundsystem is pretty weak as well and there is no monitor in the dj booth.

There must be some way of making it work but i cannot think of it. The times i played there recently have been amoungst the worst i've had.

What about the Pelican club? who is running that nowadays?

I had heard some rumours that folk were putting on nights there but after the Acid Test fiasco i would be wary of them.

I love the new Mae Shi album 'HLLYH', the 11 minute electronic freak-out in the middle is amazing. Lot's of people keep describing it as an 'experimental punk' record which I suppose it is, but I'd say it leans a lot more to the electro/dance territory. It's like the best bits of Clap Your Hands Say Yeh's debut with a giant electro mix playing underneath it.

I fucking adore SMD, that ''I Believe'' is reaching its 70th play on my itunes. I got a real decent cheeky album free with NME last christmas, its fab as fuck.

Went to see Erol Alkan 2 weeks back at Dundee Reading Rooms, one of the messiest nights of my life - only thing I remember him doing was and ACDC remix and that ol' Hot Chip's ''Boy from School''. However I do know that it was fucking ace.

Kissy Sell Out's remix of the libs ''Ha Ha Wall''

Benga and Coki's ''Night''

Plenty of Switch, espec. ''This is Sick''.