aberdeen-music

Best ever ska song!

kirkt

Surely its got to be "Ghost Town" by "The Specials"...was listening to the other day and never has a ska song been so moving...goes totally against the stereotype of happy dancing music with a powerful message that totally summed up britain in the early 80s

Guest Scott 5FD

Reel Big Fish are dire.

'Ghost Town' is an ace song, and the video is equally good.

dosen't say much for Coventry, where i believe it was shot. (i may be wrong)

my favourite ska song is 'Ska Wars' by CapDown.

mirror in the bathroom is a blinder too, but, Like you said, Ghost Town probably wins.

One in ten by UB40 is fucking ace too..shame the rest of their history is pish! (and , its not really ska, its Reggae!).

lip up fattie by bad manners is one of the classics, as too is baggy trousers by madness...

Haha, I knew someone would say "Ska Wars". Come on, be an individual, go for 'Cousin Cleotus'. It's not necessarily BETTER, but it is a bit more fun to skank to.

I would agree with Ghost Town, as it was so good and different. However, I think for me I'd have to say "Message to Rudy" beats it. Not as interesting, but jsut the most nice, mellow, down-to-earth ska tune ever, and it's by the same band. Ooh, actually, if not that, my second choice would be 'Train to Skaville' by the Ethiopians, for the same reasons.

Of course, it's really hard to be sure on a definite favourite, cos there is so much quality to choose from, over about three different eras. (Don't get me wrong, htere was a lot of shit as well *cough 'The Selecter' cough*)

Well I like 2 Tone, but the Jamican Ska that evolved from 50s American R n B is my preferred choice... Here is my selection

Venice Shoreline Chris - Cooper station blues

Tony Tribe - Red red wine (so much better and faster than the crap UB40 version)

Derrick Morgan Moon Hop

Prince Buster Texas hold up and lots of his other stuff

Also the entire Fabulous Greatest Hits album of The Skatalities

Ooh. Just remembered a piece called 'Skinhead Moonstomp' by Symarip. That piece was amazing. Just an instrumental with a voiceover of the singer telling everyone how they were going to the moon, and when htey got there, they all moonstomped. Then they came back to Earth to go to the pub. And hte lead guitar was making spacey sound-effects the whole time. It was great.

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by less_than_stu:

Haha, I knew someone would say "Ska Wars". Come on, be an individual, go for 'Cousin Cleotus'. It's not necessarily BETTER, but it is a bit more fun to skank to.

true, CC is more fun to skank too, but Ska Wars is a better song overall.

hm, I refuse to decide either way. How baout we just stick with 'Bitches and Nike Shoes' :p

Of course, we are forgetting Pound For the Sound, their other great album, with such classics as.....

*fails to remember tracklisting*

*fetches copy of the album*

-Faith No More

-Pound For the Sound

-An A-Political Stand of Reasons

Ain't listened to them in a while, but those three tracks are excellent!

Guest Scott 5FD

indeed, i first heard Ska Wars on iTunes on a college computer, but it didn't name the artist (or the song for that matter), then i heard Faith No More on a HouseHoldName Records sampler. i couldn't find Pound For A Sound, so i bought Civil Disobedients and lo and behold, there was the song that i heard on iTunes.

i think CivDis is the better of the two albums, i really want the New Revolutanaries EP, but i can't find it in town.

I reckon its hard to decide on the better album, Pound for Sound is a lot less ska I'd say but fantastic nonetheless...you should check out their split with Link 80, Scott! Another classic modern day ska/hardcore band...

I love Skinhead moonstomp and all of them songs that are found on GTA London...Message to Rudy is cool but wasn't originally a Specials song, I prefer the original (altho I forget the band name)

ah, I htought I had hte EP you were looking for, but I don't :( I have the "Time For Change" EP, which came not long after they changed their name from SOAP. I also have both albums, but I bought Civil Disobedients in Lava and then managed to get htem all to sign it :)

I don't have the Link 80 split EP, but I have seen link 80 play at Lava, so that's just about as good.

Faith No More and Pound For the Sound are my favourite Capdown songs, r0x0r!

Plain To See by Shootin Goon is one I will never ever get tired of listening to!

And Dawn= genius. Kid Dynamite is an awesome Lightyear song, as is Spotcheck, Blindside and Nuff Cuts.

:D

Originally posted by Jonny Lucifer:

Ska just sounds so tremendously White to me.

I hate to sound like a big pretentious 1337er, but if I don't say it, someone else will.

I assume you're only thinking of second-wave ska, which is what was fashionable in Britain in... the 80's I think. ie: Madness, The Specials, etc. And yes, this does sound white, because it is, very much a white version of the original first-wave of ska, which actually preceded the Jamaican stereotype of Reggae. First-wave ska was very much a Jamaican thing, with bands like the Ethiopians and I-don't-know-who-else-cos-I'm-not-that-knowledgeable.

Now, someone can come and point out all my inaccuracies :)

Originally posted by Jonny Lucifer:

....Ska just sounds so tremendously White to me.

Eh?

Hmm.... assume you mean the whole 80`s "ska" ala two tone.... in that sence I knw what you mean..

Ska and Rocksteady is better but a lot less known..

Originally posted by less_than_stu:

I don't have the Link 80 split EP, but I have seen link 80 play at Lava, so that's just about as good.

bah! before i moved to Aberdeen and I missed it :( did anyone see capdown tour with the mighty Whizzwood 2 years ago?

new five knuckle album is out...they dont do much ska but the one on All Ages EP is ace...