aberdeen-music

BBC Article on Attention Seeking

Guest Neutral

I know 5 people who claim, seriously, to be self harmers. What are the chances of all of them being genuine manic depressives and none of them just seeking attention? Bearing in mind that all 5 of them volunteered the information, sometimes without even being asked.

I'm not saying self harm isn't a problem, but I reckon 90% of folk who do it then walk around in strappy tops showing off their scars. That's attention seeking. It's the people who do it for 20 years without anyone noticing you need to worry about.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I know 5 people who claim, seriously, to be self harmers. What are the chances of all of them being genuine manic depressives and none of them just seeking attention? Bearing in mind that all 5 of them volunteered the information, sometimes without even being asked.

I'm not saying self harm isn't a problem, but I reckon 90% of folk who do it then walk around in strappy tops showing off their scars. That's attention seeking.

Spot on, it's like a badge of honour for some people. Anything to try and put a little drama into their lives then tell the whole world to try and make it someone else's problem. They can't WAIT to tell you about it, can they?

Self-harming IS a problem.

Theirs.

Nobody else's.

:up:

Guest Neutral

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH !!!!!!!!! METAL RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M 30 AND LIVE WITH MY PARENTS AND FLYER

INNOCENT MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC JUST SO

I CAN BUY AFFORD RAZOR BLADES TO CUT MYSELF

I crack myself up, anyone got any syringes?:laughing:

This subject has been done to death, surely? People have problems and deal with them in their own way. I don't see how self harm is any different from drinking too much/whoring around or any other self destructive behaviour people indulge in when times are tough. Sometimes you just do whatever will make you feel better at the time, even if later you kick yourself for your stupidity. I don't believe anyone on these boards is so content with their life that they haven't done something stupid just for a short term fix.

Just out of interest, have any Hollywood, Girl Group or Jungle/Big Brother/Talent*/Stupid Game/Dance/Makeover show celebrities come out recently and claimed to self-harm?

Usually when the "stars" start splattering their problems in the media (especially in the red tops and chat mags), the dregs of society follow suit.

In the 80's it was mandatory for celebs to have been abused by a parent, in the 90's you got nowhere without claiming to have an addiction.

I guess self-harm is the current zeitgeist.

* I use the term loosely

True depressives would just kill themselves rather than muck about with scratching.

here's an interesting fact...

"true" (deep) depressives don't have the motivation to kill themselves...hence the warning on anti-depressants:

(words to this effect):

"taking these pills could result in suicide"

as the levels of motivation increase, the motivation to top yourself increases because of the pills...

anyway....

Just out of interest, have any Hollywood, Girl Group or Jungle/Big Brother/Talent*/Stupid Game/Dance/Makeover show celebrities come out recently and claimed to self-harm?

Usually when the "stars" start splattering their problems in the media (especially in the red tops and chat mags), the dregs of society follow suit.

Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse both have I think.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I guess self-harm is the current zeitgeist.

It seems to be the behaviour of choice for wannabe-fucked-up-kids. Once the eating disorder thing becomes passe, self-harming can take centre stage.

:up: