aberdeen-music

New "artist" - Debutant

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild
I quite like the general feel of it. Will probably check back to see what else you put up at some point.

I'm glad that's been picked up upon. Atmosphere and "feel" are my main concerns really. I'll let you know when there's more stuff up.

Ta for the feedback.

the vocal is way too quiet, you should be a bit more confident about it and bring it to the front of the mix, I couldn't make out the words. I'm not really sure whats going on with the percussion, were you tapping the mic or something because it sounds a bit irritating. I don't know if the hiss is intentional or an artifact of your recording method but I'd lose it. On the whole it's not too offensive anyway...it makes me think of drunk suicidal people slitting their wrists in a hot bath.

Guest idol_wild
the vocal is way too quiet, you should be a bit more confident about it and bring it to the front of the mix, I couldn't make out the words. I'm not really sure whats going on with the percussion, were you tapping the mic or something because it sounds a bit irritating. I don't know if the hiss is intentional or an artifact of your recording method but I'd lose it. On the whole it's not too offensive anyway...it makes me think of drunk suicidal people slitting their wrists in a hot bath.

The percussion was done with a t-shirt placed over a floor tom and hit lightly with xylophone beater. I wanted a muted sound - something that maybe resembled a heart beat. I have minimal gear and that will always be reflected in my recordings. But I sort of like that.

I'll take on board what you say about the vocals, but I decided to record the vocals and the acoustic guitar in the same track with one microphone, then reverbed them ever so slightly. I quite liked the outcome, so it stuck. But I'll take your advice for the songs I'll record at the weekend.

Guest idol_wild
I rather enjoyed that. Thought the percussion sound fitted nicely. Could imagine it building up to a crescendo with strings and all sorts along the same melody.

just running the bath and looking out a good razor :D

Oh yes, a big build towards the end is exactly what I'd want, should I manage to assemble a band to do this sort of stuff. :up:

This is really good. i like this alot actually.

Vocals are really good (could be louder like stripy said), the acoustic sounds nice and the atmosphere is genrally good. I like the build up.

but i do also agree with stripy about the percussion, it does work, but i kinda feel its like to ..er poppy? like it does sound like a mic being tapped. but at the same time it works...im really not sure about them..

I'd listen to alot more of this sorta stuff.

all in all. nice work :up:

Guest idol_wild

but i do also agree with stripy about the percussion, it does work, but i kinda feel its like to ..er poppy? like it does sound like a mic being tapped. but at the same time it works...im really not sure about them..

I'll adopt a new approach to percussion from now on. :)

Thanks for the kind words and feedback.

Guest idol_wild
If you told me it was a Radiohead b-side with a random punter singing, I might have believed you. The vocals could do with being pulled out a bit because I couldn't really make out the lyrics, but I suppose that added a bit more mystery to proceedings.

I like.

I don't know whether to take that first sentence as a compliment or not! ;)

I think the fact that I reverbed the vocal track doesn't help the clarity of the words, but that's not always a bad thing. I sometimes like not knowing what the lyrics are in songs I like. Simply, because they often disappoint when I do discover what they are.

But again, thanks for the feedback.

I don't know whether to take that first sentence as a compliment or not! ;)

I think the fact that I reverbed the vocal track doesn't help the clarity of the words, but that's not always a bad thing. I sometimes like not knowing what the lyrics are in songs I like. Simply, because they often disappoint when I do discover what they are.

But again, thanks for the feedback.

Haha, definetely a good thing! I was thinking of doing something along these lines at some point, but you've beaten me to it you bastard!

As for the percussion, I quite like the "popping" quality.

I'd be curious to listen to more stuff, you should fire some more up on the page.

Guest idol_wild
I'd be curious to listen to more stuff, you should fire some more up on the page.

I'll be recording two more over the weekend. One of them is a bit more up-tempo, but the general feel/sound will be similar, I'm sure.

I'll be sure to post as soon as they're up! :)

I like this tune, it'd be nice to hear some more.

p.s. If you wanted to continue with that kind of percussion - you could invest in a contact mic. They're really cheap to build yourself, if your competence with a soldering iron is minimal, or, you could buy one for $15 from noisefx.com (appalling advertising there) They would open a whole world of percussive treats for you, plus other ambient textures ect.

Hiya

I quite like this song, it strikes me as something along the same lines as Jose Gonzales. I can picture this kind of track being used for an ad or on a TV programme, and I mean that in a good way. The song definately sets a mood. You have a really good sense of rhythm, the drums and guitar never lose a beat, well done.

I like that you recorded the guitar and vocals on one track and put in a bit of reverb, it really adds to the feel of the song. However, I think you could do with a recording of the vocals overlapping the vocal/guitar line, just to give the vocals a slightly crisper sound, and so the words are a bit clearer. I also think you should consider adding a few more layers towards the end of the song, so that you gather a sense of momentum towards the end, so the sudden finish that you have would be more pronounced.

Cheers

Jayne

Guest idol_wild

I quite like this song, it strikes me as something along the same lines as Jose Gonzales. I can picture this kind of track being used for an ad or on a TV programme, and I mean that in a good way. The song definately sets a mood. You have a really good sense of rhythm, the drums and guitar never lose a beat, well done.

The song is about being pursued by a vampire, so I don't think it's especially suitable for any advert, unless it's a plaster commercial ;)

I like that you recorded the guitar and vocals on one track and put in a bit of reverb, it really adds to the feel of the song. However, I think you could do with a recording of the vocals overlapping the vocal/guitar line, just to give the vocals a slightly crisper sound, and so the words are a bit clearer. I also think you should consider adding a few more layers towards the end of the song, so that you gather a sense of momentum towards the end, so the sudden finish that you have would be more pronounced.

The idea of overdubbing the vocals is something I'll probably adopt. Thanks for the kind words and suggestions.