aberdeen-music

Putting on gigs.

Huw

myself and a friend of mine really want to start putting on gigs in aberdeen.

I just need to get told how to go about it, like basics, i'm sure i can take it from there.

They won't be big ones at all. Kind of want to keep it small, floor show type things.

Just don't want to piss anyone off by not doing something correctly.

any feedback would be appreciated.

Huw

Get a secure money box, pay the bands as much as you feel you can, give out of town bands really clear instructions... preferably meet them somewhere easy to find (they'll seriously appreciate it), be easily contactable, advertise properly, keep a good relationship with the venues (make friends. It'll make things a lot more pleasant for everybody.) Keep things relaxed, but organized (especially important with stage times and gear). Making sure you have all the required gears obviously very important... especially in a floor show setting. Don't be the guy who's phoning around looking for an extension lead 15 minutes before doors.

Some of those might seem really obvious but it's really amazing how many promoters nationwide seem to be completely hopeless at even the most fundamental aspects of putting on a fun, well organized gig. Also, if you can, offer touring musicians a sofa to sleep on or something. Sleeping in car parks is fucking rubbish, and it's awkward for the musician to request a place to kip.

Generally, if you do your best, you won't piss anyone off, so don't let it worry you!

Get a secure money box, pay the bands as much as you feel you can, give out of town bands really clear instructions... preferably meet them somewhere easy to find (they'll seriously appreciate it), be easily contactable, advertise properly, keep a good relationship with the venues (make friends. It'll make things a lot more pleasant for everybody.) Keep things relaxed, but organized (especially important with stage times and gear). Making sure you have all the required gears obviously very important... especially in a floor show setting. Don't be the guy who's phoning around looking for an extension lead 15 minutes before doors.

Some of those might seem really obvious but it's really amazing how many promoters nationwide seem to be completely hopeless at even the most fundamental aspects of putting on a fun, well organized gig. Also, if you can, offer touring musicians a sofa to sleep on or something. Sleeping in car parks is fucking rubbish, and it's awkward for the musician to request a place to kip.

Generally, if you do your best, you won't piss anyone off, so don't let it worry you!

no, no that was all really helpful thanks! unfortunately i still live with my parents, but they can deal with it i'm sure. for the cause. i have a caravan outside though... hmmm.

yo huw

ill drop you a line over the weekend with some pointers

good to see you getting involved!!!

also, thank you.

if anyone else has ANYTHING that hasnt already been said, even 'insignificant' things, please do.

Guest idol_wild

Monsuir Ry has covered almost everything that I can think of from my limited experience. Especially when it comes to offering the acts a place to stay if they're from out of town, because they will find it awkward to ask.

Just generally enjoy it and don't be scared to accept any help if it's offered. From my experiences so far, I find the key has been aggressive promotion. If you can create a catchy poster featuring the right words, then it's more persuasive than just saying "this band are great so come and see them".

I'm sure Maxi will have some more meaningful insights and I'll reiterate what he says about how it's good to see more people taking an active interest in putting on gigs from time to time. Especially if it's more diverse stuff you're aiming to expose.

Good luck.

WTF is with the cliched Vegancore?

Anyway...(after feather ruffling)

IMHO, a good relationship with the soundguy/girl is very important. Let him/her know the running times of the bands, style of music and any weird requests i.e. the guitarist runs the guitar through a sitar simulator which is also run through a vegan/crustcore flanger emulator.

IMHO, a good relationship with the soundguy/girl is very important. Let him/her know the running times of the bands, style of music and any weird requests i.e. the guitarist runs the guitar through a sitar simulator which is also run through a vegan/crustcore flanger emulator.

' date=' post: 435406"']

They won't be big ones at all. Kind of want to keep it small, floor show type things.

:laughing: