aberdeen-music

If Scotland beat Italy I will....

RossP

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
Nit. Opposite for me i'm afraid. Country all the way...

*Can i predict the "thats because caley are shite" comments now?*

Nah - I admire such ardent supporters of the national side. I just don't feel a connection with Scotland at all. I can relate to Aberdeen as a city and a football club; it's almost tribal.

But I obviously still support Scotland over every other national team!

you can't choose how you feel it's just the way it is, don't get me wrong i'll still be cheering on scotland in the pub on saturday but dandies will always edge it.

I wasn't critisizing. Your team chooses you as they say.

The first team I supported was Lazio, due to a Mr Guiseppe Signori being the best player i'd ever seen. All the while my dad tried to make me a Dons fan; but he had a hand in me becoming a Caley fan when he took me to an Inverness Thistle v. Aberdeen friendly. I was supposed to be supporting Aberdeen, but ended up cheering on Inverness.

This is the most excited i've ever been for a football match :love:

My passion for the national team far outweighs my passion for the Dons. International football is bigger and better than club football to me. I get seriously emotional about Scotland's fitba team. Dons depression or joy lasts a couple of hours after the game, Scotland depression or joy usually kicks about until the next game we play.

Guest idol_wild
My passion for the national team far outweighs my passion for the Dons. International football is bigger and better than club football to me. I get seriously emotional about Scotland's fitba team. Dons depression or joy lasts a couple of hours after the game, Scotland depression or joy usually kicks about until the next game we play.

I guess international football is bigger and better if you're an Aberdeen fan. But for Old Firm fans and the majority of the top-half Premiership sides, international football is a step down in quality...which is crazy.

My club is my bread and butter. It's nice to cheer Scotland on when it's required, but the Vogts era disillusioned me to the whole international scene.

There are quite a few reasons why i consider myself more of a national team fan, than a Caley fan.

1. I think the fact that most of my mates and family aren't Caley fans, so its hard for them to get as excited about going to an ICT game as I do. However, for Scotland games every single one of us support the same team. Going across to Paris was the best decision I have ever made, and i'm glad i spent it with 12 mates, who all support different club teams. Club loyalties are all forgotten when the whistle goes...

2. There are fewer International games, so it means that there is more anticipaction; more planning; and more of a spectacle to be made what with kilts, glengarries etc.

3. The feeling of unity in the nation. After ICT beat Rangers, Celtic etc there are probably more old firm fans out than us, so I always seem to get a bit of aggro (I am a mouthy prick though ;) ). When Aberdeen and Rangers play at Pittodrie, no matter the result there are usually fights around the city. When Scotland win, there is a total party atmosphere! I'm sure Aberdeen was bouncing after the France win :love:

4. When I was young, despite playing football every day and night for several teams, I never had a team to support. I liked Lazio, but never started supporting ICT till we were in the 3rd division. So as a kid, I dreamed not of scoring a cup final goal for a club, but scoring a goal for Scotland in the World Cup.

5. I've got a couple of dozen Scotland caps (for table tennis), so when the flower of scotland plays it takes me back to those proud days when sport was all i had to worry about. I never quite made it into the ICT first team when I was at the club, so don't know what it feels like to run out as a player.

Anyway back to topic, MAKE A PROMISE SHOULD SCOTLAND WIN ON SATURDAY !!

If you are reading this Dave Milne: Any chance you could play "I have a dream" with John Gordon Sinclair singing on saturday night? I might make it back to Aberdeen in time for some Exodus action, so it would be a joy to hear that if we win ;)