aberdeen-music

The Casio Vl-Tone Thread

Mouse

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Lawy Lawson:Attorney:

Rolf Harris created pocket keyboard played with a stylus. I'd like to use one in my band too, but playing hardcore....not sure how that could happen?

.......australian electronic core? aXeXc

sounds good to me-i think we should give it a shot :)

Spot-on Lawy. David Bowie used one on Space Oddity. I like putting them thorough effects units, but they give a very"clicky" note as the stylus hits the keyboard. Personally I like it.

A couple of years ago I saw the Lothars live, and they were an all-theremin band! It sounded bizarre, but curiously satisfying, a bit like my love-life. (joke!)

Originally posted by Alan Cynic:

Spot-on Lawy. David Bowie used one on Space Oddity. I like putting them thorough effects units, but they give a very"clicky" note as the stylus hits the keyboard. Personally I like it.

A couple of years ago I saw the Lothars live, and they were an all-theremin band! It sounded bizarre, but curiously satisfying, a bit like my love-life. (joke!)

Intresting (not your love life, although I'm sure that's perfectly fascinating), but what effects do you put it through? I've tried putting it through my distortion pedal at home hoping for some cheapo Aphex Twin style stuff, but to no avail, or to a bastard load of feedback. Any hints or tips?

I am probably the only one here who actually looks like their cartoon avatar (if I grew a beard).

Nah, you're never that handsome.

Did that recording turn out OK at Thomas Truax cos I wouldn't mind that copy you promised me.

Well, I'm not enough of a muso to know much about different effects, and stick to much the same ones until they die, but I usually put it into eithera Boss DS-1 distortion pedal, or a Marshall Blues Breaker, then into either a Marshall Vibratrem or my favourite...an Ibanez Digital Delay (because you can turn the knobs while you play and it alters the pich or something, and gets weird....or is this back to my lovelife again?). It never sounds subtle, like Aphex Twin, though...it's an in-your-face sound whatever.

Originally posted by Scott 5FD:

is eBay the only place you can get a VL-Tone from?

coz i'd like one and i lack a credit card or PayPal account.

It's the best bet. And you should get your parents to send off a cheque and you pay them back, which is what I do.

Originally posted by Scorge McBrain:

Can't you lot afford PROPER synthesis technology? (Or all you all a bunch of nostalgia worshipping hippies?)

:D

No yet. I plan on buying some kind of vintage synth in the future. Once I get a job though I want to buy a Casio WK-3500 because it's a shit hot keyboard, and apparently good for Dream Theater!

Ian....I left it behind the bar about 3 weeks ago, for one of the barstaff to pass on to you. I'll easily rattle off another copy though.

It's probably sitting there with other CDs or Hens got it. I'll have a look. Cheers.

Originally posted by Scorge McBrain:

Can't you lot afford PROPER synthesis technology? (Or all you all a bunch of nostalgia worshipping hippies?)

:D

I usually play a Nord Lead 2, that should answer that question.

Though it's shocks property... not strictly mine.

Casio's are epic...