Mouse

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mouse:

Get a Casio SK-1 for circuit bending

i will see what i can actually find...

basically i intend getting as many as i can for whatever money i have at the time. hopefully i will be able to get some vl-tones (for keeping stock) and a sk-1 or two for bending, and whatever odds and ends i can get hold of

David

Originally posted by Alan Cynic:

I've just checked....it doesn't have its back cover, but still plays ok.

(It DOES have its original box though)

Me want.

What about shiney money??? I don't really have any equipment that I'd be willing to part with...

how much???

Actually PM me the responce incase some rich bugger comes alone ;(

Argh. I'm fascinated by obscure musical instruments, and while surfing ebay late tonight (look at my posting time), I found one of these casio V|-tone thingies. I now want one... a lot. Can someone give me a brief description of what they actually do/allow you to do? And waht is all this about Thainstone? Is it a place near Aberdeen? What has it got to do with these keyboards? What's going on? Why am I asking so many questions?

?

Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

Me want.

What about shiney money??? I don't really have any equipment that I'd be willing to part with...

how much???

Actually PM me the responce incase some rich bugger comes alone ;(

Shiney? responce? incase? alone?

Back to school Burnham!

Originally posted by less_than_stu:

Argh. I'm fascinated by obscure musical instruments, and while surfing ebay late tonight (look at my posting time), I found one of these casio V|-tone thingies. I now want one... a lot. Can someone give me a brief description of what they actually do/allow you to do? And waht is all this about Thainstone? Is it a place near Aberdeen? What has it got to do with these keyboards? What's going on? Why am I asking so many questions?

?

They're mini keyboards of the 80s variety. They're 24 carat, 8 bit rock! :D

Thainstone is the sunday market/car boot sale out by Inverurie - best place to root out obscure electronica for much cheapness.

Hope this helps...

Originally posted by less_than_stu:

?

Being a keyboard (and a small one at that) from the early 80's, it's incredibly cheesy but amazing fun. It's got a basic ADSR synth so you can type in numbers, store them in the calculator memory, then slide the switch over to play and select ADSR as the voice, and you will have created your own sound. I was reading reviews of VL-Tones last night, even people who hated them said they wouldn't sell them for the world!

I got mine for just over 20. My one was actually branded excellent but is basically mint, came with a song book and case. My sister got one for roughly the same price branded mint, yet it's display is faded compared to mine and it's not as good condition. Expect to pay 10 to 30 for an excellent to mint condition Vl-1, making sure it has it's carry case at least. Here's a perfect mint example with box and everything! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47081&item=3725791436&rd=1

My Vl-5 I got for a bargain, probably because it's so rare people forget when to look out for them, only about 14. Mint condition with box and instructions and songbooks. Sadly the speaker has stopped working and now it only plays through the line-out. There is an absoulute mint one on Ebay just now http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1289&item=3725703540&rd=1

As for the ultimate, the Vl-10, I payed 40. Last two I seen on Ebay went for 45 and 60, they are extremely rare. I love my one and only recently got it. Note: Right this second I have found a Vl-10 on Ebay for 1! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47081&item=3726303590&rd=1

Originally posted by soundian:

Shiney? responce? incase? alone?

Back to school Burnham!

Shhhh you!

I was mildly intixicated at the time.

I must apologise for my appauling spelling ;(

Well I played at Drakes tonight and used my PT-20 on a song, but I ballsed it up! It was fine in practice, perfect at the sound-check, but when it came to the performance I was that nervous that my shaking foot kept changing chords before I meant it to, so I had to switch it off.

I apologise for letting this thread down.

* hangs head in shame*

I use two hands... but not very well... though the audience doesn't seem to notice... or do they?

I was plodding away on the Nord last night... I sleep with it in my bed... I embrace it in everyway...

eeeevvverrryyy way.

Originally posted by Alan Cynic:

Well I played at Drakes tonight and used my PT-20 on a song, but I ballsed it up! It was fine in practice, perfect at the sound-check, but when it came to the performance I was that nervous that my shaking foot kept changing chords before I meant it to, so I had to switch it off.

I apologise for letting this thread down.

* hangs head in shame*

Hey, at least you tried! Keep practising, you'll nail it eventually!

Alternatively, you could *pretend* it's on, and have a CD playing the track instead.... no one would guess... until you do a fancy keyboard solo! :D

I'll have to try something similar with the VL tone, in the safety of my own home of course!

Maybe we could do a VL-tone / PT-20 foot duet sometime? I wonder if Lester can work the stylophone with her shapely, yet worryingly pungent, tootsies? A foot/keyboard trio would be a good laugh. Or a quartet, with Mouse!

You are correct....it was the Japanese Ghost's new one "Hypnotic Underworld"....pretty cool. I like the other Ghost, too.

Originally posted by ghost:

.. hmm... would leave our hands free to hold the beer... but would the combined stench clear Drakes?... I think it may have to be an outdoor gig. Sponsored by Odour Eaters...

Funnily enough I purchased a new pair of "Trainer Tamers" for last Friday's gig, as I hung my sock up on the mike cable using a wooden clothes peg. But they were highly ineffectual!

However my trainers date to October 2002, and have absorbed a fair old amount of Cynical sweat since then.

In a show of solidarity the other Kitchen Cynics Orchestra members ditched their footwear too. I was touched (and gassed, too).

I gave the foot trick a try the other day, but it's tricky to master! I thought I'd cracked it when I stuck a bit of blutack to a 10p piece and attached it to the One Step button - it worked for about 10 seconds and then... you guessed it... stuck to the body of the Casio. Result? One note. Sustained infinitely.

However, I'll be using the Beguine rhythm to good effect on the 24th June. Be there, see it fall apart spectacularly... :)

• 2 weeks later...