aberdeen-music

The Casio Vl-Tone Thread

Mouse

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stuck to the body of the Casio. Result? One note. Sustained infinitely.

I remember one band I was in, when the lead accordionist (don't ask) told me about a box player he once saw who had punctured a hole in his bellows, and put a lit candle underneath it. The column of hot air created a single note drone, which he played over. Sounds a tad unlikely, even to me, but he swears it's true.

In equally earthshattering news, I once conducted an experiment into perfect/relative pitch. This consisted of me taping down the note G on my own VL-Tone, and wearing headphones for three hours. For several days afterwards I could sing a perfect G on command. Sorry,carry on...

I once conducted an experiment into perfect/relative pitch. This consisted of me taping down the note G on my own VL-Tone' date=' and wearing headphones for three hours. For several days afterwards I could sing a perfect G on command.[/quote']

Three hours?! Were you on glue?!

Three hours?! Were you on glue?!

Marker pens, actually. Used to have a problem, but I'm aff them now. *twitches*

I was fairly heavily medicated, right enough. You could have dropped a tray of cutlery and I would have danced to it.* Interesting experiment. I had perfect pitch for a good while, I could tell what key a piece of music was in by ear. Shame it gradually faded away though.

*ooh, another anecdote... I once witnessed a guy outside a club in Brixton, utterly pilled off his napper, dancing to his own keys rattling in his hand. The more he danced the more they rattled, the more he etc. Very funny to watch. Perpetual fuckwittery.

• 3 weeks later...

I am now inspired to record a tune using my PT-20, an old stylophone and lawnmower samples....I will NOT enlist a bland sweet singer to pretty it up for mass consumption.

Kitchen Cynics....................................................key-bored with the "Innovation" thread

I am now inspired to record a tune using my PT-20' date=' an old stylophone and lawnmower samples....I will NOT enlist a bland sweet singer to pretty it up for mass consumption.

Kitchen Cynics....................................................key-bored with the "Innovation" thread[/quote']

I'm not bland :rolleyes:

I'm not bland :rolleyes:

I know that! But you are sweet (sorry.......you can hit me later.....please!)

Actually, as you know, I DO want a musical collaboration -a Burnham/Cynics thing!

The only problem is letting people hear it after, and dissolving into tears with the criticism....I'm a delicate flower, you know!

Kitchen Cynics........................................................Lawnmower Man.......................

I know that! But you are sweet (sorry.......you can hit me later.....please!)

Actually' date=' as you know, I DO want a musical collaboration -a Burnham/Cynics thing!

The only problem is letting people hear it after, and dissolving into tears with the criticism....I'm a delicate flower, you know!

Kitchen Cynics........................................................Lawnmower Man.......................[/quote']

I'll try me best, sir :D

My computer won't show me the pic...damn!!!

I've 4 cheap keyboards (all less than 5 each)...the PT-20, the PSS-6, an SK-1 and a PSS-280, which is a bit bigger than the others. The SK-1 probably gets the most use, normally, so I'd say pick one up if you can. Its little sampler is cute, too.

BTW...thanks for resurrecting this thread.........!!!

My computer won't show me the pic...damn!!!

I've 4 cheap keyboards (all less than 5 each)...the PT-20' date=' the PSS-6, an SK-1 and a PSS-280, which is a bit bigger than the others. The SK-1 probably gets the most use, normally, so I'd say pick one up if you can. Its little sampler is cute, too.

BTW...thanks for resurrecting this thread.........!!![/quote']

pic should be working now (i had misspelt the link :rolleyes: )

i really want to get hold of a few cheapy keyboards, any places i should check out in particular? supposedly the car boot sale at danestone (or thainstone, im not sure) is a good place to check

i basically want a few hald decent keyboards, so i can play with a few and circuit bend a few more for some funny sounds

David

Oh and David' date=' I got all mine off ebay, though Thainstone would be worth a look :)[/quote']

i cant get to thainstone now as i am working on sundays, but i shall give ebay a look

just wandering if there was anywhere else in aberdeen to have a look in

David

Wow!

I was just on Ebay last night, surfing (does anyone else find themselves sitting up til 4am a couple of nights a month/week surfing ebay for silly musical instruments?) and I happened upon some of these stylophones. I became very interested, and it brought back my lust for things like the V|-tone. So imagine my surprise when I come on aberdeen-music this morning, and find this thread resurrected.

Unfortunately, I still don't have a V|-tone or anyhting, but I do have an Early Learning Centre, Sing and Play Keyboard, in a neon orange, neon green and purple colour scheme. It has no output jack so the only sound is from the little speaker, and it only has two-key polyphony, so no huge chords, jsut 2-part harmony, but the mandolin setting is amazing, and if I can find out how good it would sound miked up, I would love to use it in public.

Still looking for a V|-tone and a stylophone, and now I'm interested in them-thar theramins. Can they actually play a tune or is it jsut a sound effect? Cos I've seen Bill Bailley using one, and it kinda seemed to be a bit a-tonal.

Now I jsut have to wait for my sitar to be delivered (the first one was broken :() and find a musical saw. They look nice and challenging.

Guest Stripey

I have one of these.

48382ma.gif

"Play me a tune... record and play your own songs with this fantastic electronic piano. Features 24 keys, 8 rhythms and 14 demo tunes, including 5 animal songs."

Yeah thats right, 5 animal sounds (dog,frog,duck,bird) and 8 instruments and 3 note poly. It's fun to piss about and experiment with when I can't be bothered turning the computer on.

I prefer using this though, it makes better sounds :

Albino2_3D_400.jpg

(click to read about it)