aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

That means you've missed 6 league games o_O

Shame on you ;)

But it does mean i've seen Scotland beat France in person twice in the last 11months :)

Got my Ukraine tickets too. And Italy tickets have been ordered.

National team is taking priority for the next few weeks.

EDIT: Still time for Dennis Wyness to get a call up ;)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people expect too much from Severin. Unless he's single handedly running the show everyone's on his back, which just irritates the hell out of me. When he plays at centre back, it's not his game to go out and win the ball in the way Diamond does. That doesn't mean he's not constantly organising and giving the team the sense of stability and security the likes of Considine badly need. Even when he's in midfield, playing with Nicholson, Clark and Smith means that he pretty much always has to sit back while they go forward, so he can't always have an obvious influence. But I wouldn't fault his work rate and I wouldn't have given the captaincy to anyone else.

Basically, I think a lot of Dons fans just don't notice how much work he actually gets through and don't appreciate the value of quietly effective players.

And as for him moaning at referees, I think, especially against the Old Firm, Aberdeen need to remind the referee that there's two teams on the park so I don't have a problem with it.

One of the commentaries a couple of weeks ago said ' the fact that Severin's name hadn't been mentioned at all in the second half meant that he was doing his job behind Considine and Diamond, organising them... Fair play. I was a doubter but happy to be wrong!

I'm also glad to see a manager doing what he should do and make tough decisions, bringing Clangers back in would have been tricky and very dissapointing for Soutar but it does seem to have consolidated the defense. Langfield has been much more commanding in his box and been plucking the ball out of the air nice. I wouldn't like to be Soutar, must be well peeved but can't blame him at all for wanting to move on. If the Dons play better then so be it...:up:

I think people expect too much from Severin. Unless he's single handedly running the show everyone's on his back, which just irritates the hell out of me. When he plays at centre back, it's not his game to go out and win the ball in the way Diamond does. That doesn't mean he's not constantly organising and giving the team the sense of stability and security the likes of Considine badly need. Even when he's in midfield, playing with Nicholson, Clark and Smith means that he pretty much always has to sit back while they go forward, so he can't always have an obvious influence. But I wouldn't fault his work rate and I wouldn't have given the captaincy to anyone else.

Basically, I think a lot of Dons fans just don't notice how much work he actually gets through and don't appreciate the value of quietly effective players.

And as for him moaning at referees, I think, especially against the Old Firm, Aberdeen need to remind the referee that there's two teams on the park so I don't have a problem with it.

Okay, everyone's got opinions and we're hear to deabate but could do without the sly digs that I don't even watch the games or notice what is happening - that's just taking the piss min. Of course I appreciate the value of quietly effective players - Seve's midfield partner of old Heikennen was one of our best players in recent years.

I don't want him to single handedly run the show - I want him to contribute. I want him to be passionate again - I want him to put in crunchers every week - I want him influencing those around him vocally - I want him to stop whinging and take the game by the scruff of the neck - I want him to shoot whenever possible. All things he's done in his previous seasosns (when he's got my "player of the year" award every time) but not this season since being made captain.

I certainly don't expect too much from him. He has set his own very high standards at Pittodrie over the last few seasons and anyone who hasn't noticed the decline in his form and attitude this term isn't "noticing what is happening."

All I want is Seve to be back to his best for the sake of the team.

I'm also glad to see a manager doing what he should do and make tough decisions, bringing Clangers back in would have been tricky and very dissapointing for Soutar but it does seem to have consolidated the defense.:

It's a tough decision he never should have had to make!

He just looks like an idiot for going back on his word. A two - faced lier.

We've got back issues of the Evening here and it's just beyond comical the shite Jimmy came out with - stuff like "Jamie's finished here." "He won't play again in the first team - only in the reserves." "There's nothing he can say to make amends." "Derek is first choice now." "We will take any offer we get for Jamie in January."

It's just a joke - if he'd made a football decision - i.e. Everyone can see Soutar is mince and Clangers is better despite the er, Clangers part, he would never have dropped him. A fine and some stern words would have been better and not to the detriment of the team. What happened was Jimmy was flexing his muscles as a boss without even thinking we had no quality goalkeeper to step in because taking the moral high ground and keeping his integrity was far more important than the club as a whole and the supporters who pay money to see the best possible team every week.

Okay, everyone's got opinions and we're hear to deabate but could do without the sly digs that I don't even watch the games or notice what is happening - that's just taking the piss min.

Nah man I never meant it like that. I'm just really sick of folk expecting too much of the guy and being far too quick to get on his back and I got a bit carried away. It was aimed more at Dons fans in general than at you, since you've actually thought through what you're saying about him. I'm nae really capable of sly digs I'm afraid.

Sorry for coming across as a c*nt :(

In other news, Scotland v. Italy tickets went on sale to SSC members today and members are only assured of 1 ticket, with our membership numbers going into a ballot for a second ticket.

There will be NO public sale from what i've read. So if you are a member, make sure you order your ticket before October 19th or you won't get a ticket at all. You have been warned...

If we can only dispatch those pesky Ukrainians and Georgians now.

Nah man I never meant it like that. I'm just really sick of folk expecting too much of the guy and being far too quick to get on his back and I got a bit carried away. It was aimed more at Dons fans in general than at you, since you've actually thought through what you're saying about him. I'm nae really capable of sly digs I'm afraid.

Sorry for coming across as a c*nt :(

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick, but it would have been better to exclude me from the "common fan" who bases their opinion on what they read in the Evening Express!!!

Anyway, no worries at all min :up:

In other news, Scotland v. Italy tickets went on sale to SSC members today and members are only assured of 1 ticket, with our membership numbers going into a ballot for a second ticket.

There will be NO public sale from what i've read. So if you are a member, make sure you order your ticket before October 19th or you won't get a ticket at all. You have been warned...

If we can only dispatch those pesky Ukrainians and Georgians now.

I heard about that, shame because I was really up for getting a ticket but it's much more fair for people who have been to more Scotland games than the common Joe(like myself).

Any thoughts for the Dons game on Thursday then? Apparently since we've played them they've lost 3-1, 4-1 and 2-0... reckon we might be able to sneak a 1-1. Their defence looked pretty shite when we played them at Pittodrie, if we have a real go at them early on and scare the shit out of them then we should be okay.

Any thoughts for the Dons game on Thursday then? Apparently since we've played them they've lost 3-1, 4-1 and 2-0... reckon we might be able to sneak a 1-1. Their defence looked pretty shite when we played them at Pittodrie, if we have a real go at them early on and scare the shit out of them then we should be okay.

They had games against Shakter(sp) and Dynamo Kiev though, but still should take their confidence down a notch.

If they go at teams like they have in the last few games, and keep the pressure for 90mins then who knows. JC has mentioned that some new contracts will be sorted out if a they get to the next stages. Crafty old orange chap. Carrot on a stick to get them flying out of the traps.

Me and the family head off on holiday on the Friday and I/we want a big happy start to the hols.

Second round Scottish Cup draw:

Whitehill Welfare v Golspie Sutherland

Buckie Thistle v Nairn County

Clachnacuddin or Edinburgh City v East Stirlingshire

Cove Rangers v Keith

Edinburgh University v Deveronvale

Linlithgow Rose v Spartans

Montrose v Pollok

Forfar Athletic v Dumbarton

Inverurie Loco Works v East Fife

Selkirk v Dalbeattie Star

Albion Rovers v Burntisland Shipyard

Culter v Vale of Leithen

Girvan v Stranaer

Arbroath v Elgin City

Threave Rovers v Stenhousemuir

Annan Athletic v Fraserburgh or Huntly

Some very tasty ties there. Montrose/Pollok, Inverurie Locos/East Fife stick out for me.....

Difficult to tell this season as they have been so inconsistent, but last season I definitely thought they were better when they were counter attacking, so I'm hopeful we can get something from them on the break.

If the defence can concentrate and not give away any silly goals, we'll have a chance.

Cove Rangers v Keith

Montrose v Pollok

Culter v Vale of Leithen

Girvan v Stranaer

Arbroath v Elgin City

Michty - I've played for one of those teams and against two of the others!

God I feel old :down:

Yeah, was announced at half time on Saturday. First come, first serve for 300.

I wisnae listening... Busy trying to get my coffee coupled with a 1940's speaker system in the family end means I usually miss important, or otherwise, info... :up:

I'll be centre front in my lounge with the surround sound on and a tin or three. Certainly be louder than Todders is most weekends!

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Never mind this Champions League bollocks, it's not real football anyway. Last night's Diddy Cup semis:

Dunfermline 1-0 Ayr United

St. Johnstone 3-1 Morton

Out of the UEFA and League Cups, but the quadruple is still on...

Cove Rangers v Keith

Montrose v Pollok

Culter v Vale of Leithen

Girvan v Stranaer

Arbroath v Elgin City

Some very tasty ties there. Montrose/Pollok, Inverurie Locos/East Fife stick out for me.....

another home tie and probably a realistic chance of getting to the 3rd round :)

great quote from Scotsport the other night. "aberdeen have had some horrendous results so far apart from the good ones they've had". Duh!

Best quote i've heard recently is from Jim "Bluenose" White, who said in the England v. Togo(?) Rugby game (whilst on Sky Sports news)... "And here we have England scoring a try in the James McFadden end" (It was being played in the Parc de Princes).