aberdeen-music

Kings Of Leon - Because of the Times

A.Pel

Album of the year so far, in my eyes. Anyone who thinks of KOL as just being like the Strokes but with southern rock influences will be really surprised with this record. Charmer for example sounds more like The Pixies or Nirvana than modern Indie Rock stuff. Caleb's lyrics are fantastic and the way his voice rasps and screeches sounds far more 'emotive' than any of My Chemical Romances super-polished shiny vocal performances.

I think the closing track Arizona might be the best rock song written post-2000, it's that good.

Ooh I didn't know they had a new album. I've got the first two (Youth and Young Manhood is still one of my favourite albums to this day). I was slightly disappointed with the second one, except for "The Bucket" and a couple of other tracks, I thought most of the songs just sort of blended into one another. I'll make sure I pick up the new one this weekend. :up:

Guest bluesxman

I wasn't sure about the single, 'On Call' initially but really like it now, the album is good but not as immediate as the first one was. The second one I thought meandered a bit other than the singles, but it was still pretty good. At least they are trying to broaden their sound as they progress. The Southern Strokes thing was just lazy comparisons to me.

the album is good but not as immediate as the first one was.

It's certainly a very brave album at this stage in their career. They could have just basically re-hashed their old stuff into an album of Indie-disco dance floor tunes and sold a heap of records off the back of them. Think how many albums The Killers sold off the back of Mr Brightside. Instead they've opened the album with a 7-minute song with the first line being "I don't care what nobody says, we're gonna have a baby".

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i didn't really see the fuss with the first album, but i didn't really check it out. increasingly though i'm hearing very good things about them from people with credible tastes in music - what should i check out?

i didn't really see the fuss with the first album, but i didn't really check it out. increasingly though i'm hearing very good things about them from people with credible tastes in music - what should i check out?

You should go on their myspace, and have a listen to the second song on there called McFearless. It's a fair bit heavier than their older stuff and the drumming is incredible.

The first album is immense after a few listens, pretty much all of the tracks are belters. The second album has some good standout songs, but a lot of the songs sound like filler imo. But then they had their whole life to write their first album then only a year to write their second...

Their best songs imo are

Joe's Head :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

California Waiting

Spiral Staircase

Holy Roller Novocaine

Red Morning Light

Happy Alone

Slow Night, So Long

The Bucket

Velvet Snow

This is the first full album I've listened to, and no joke, I fucking love it.

I'm bidding on the album with 'The Bucket' (what a chune!) on ebay right now, should be a good listen if anything is to go by.

CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THEM AT T. (Already missed UK tour).

This is the first full album I've listened to, and no joke, I fucking love it.

I'm bidding on the album with 'The Bucket' (what a chune!) on ebay right now, should be a good listen if anything is to go by.

CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THEM AT T. (Already missed UK tour).

That's the second one, A-Ha Shake Heartbreak, i'm listening to it right now :music:

I'm really enjoying this album! Had a few listens and it just gets better each time!

As for older songs/albums, I prefer the first to the second, but I absolutely love 'King of the Rodeo' off of 'Aha Shake Heartbreak', probably my favourite Kings song. But I'll see, a few more listens and something off the new one might replace it.

I'm really enjoying this album! Had a few listens and it just gets better each time!

As for older songs/albums, I prefer the first to the second, but I absolutely love 'King of the Rodeo' off of 'Aha Shake Heartbreak', probably my favourite Kings song. But I'll see, a few more listens and something off the new one might replace it.

Is King of the Rodeo that tune with the fast vocal sequence that ends 'let the good times roll'? That is an absolute tune.

Is King of the Rodeo that tune with the fast vocal sequence that ends 'let the good times roll'? That is an absolute tune.

yep, i think its:

'cowboy king of the rodeo, let the good times roll, let the good tiiiiimeessss..... roll.' or something.

i like both albums, especially the first one; every song on 'youth and young manhood' is great. i think they used 'holy roller novocaine' on an episode of the shield ages ago... awesome :up:

nice to see i'm not the only one who doesn't have them lumped in with the strokes etc... although i suppose that's only bad if you don't like the strokes 8-)