aberdeen-music

Ben Folds / Ben Folds Five

Lemonade

My girlfriend is a huge fan and forced me to buy Rockin' the Suburbs, so I'd recommend that. It's got a couple of great tracks. Apart from that, you should get the album with 'Army' on it, as it's a fucking fantastic song (look for the myspace session version on youtube, complete with guitarchestra).

Fopp has most of his albums for a fiver come to mention it, so you can't really go wrong.

He's one of my favourite artists, listening to Whatever and Ever....amen at the moment. A lot of people object to the whiney southern accent but if you can hack that he's a good investment. Haven't been as keen on his latter solo stuff, I prefer the Ben Folds 5 albums. In order of goodness:

Whatever and ever Amen

The Unauthorised Biography of Reinhold Messner (the one with "Army" on it)

Ben Folds Five

Naked Baby Photos (B sides and "rarities". Some amusing live stuff, some belters such as "Bad Idea", "Eddie Walker" and "Tom and Mary")

They're all top though. There's always good quirky B sides on his singles too like the Japanese version of Song for The Dumped on the Brick single.

Rocking the Suburbs is his best solo one and highly recommended too.

"Let me tell y'all what it's like, being male, middle class and white". Speaks to me man.....

Cheers guys, I'll pop down to Fopp at the weekend and see what I can pick up... or if I'm feeling lazy I'll just fire up itunes.

On the subject of all things "whiney southern", does anyone know when the new Bright Eyes album comes out? I hear it's a belter, according to that great musical institution The Daily Mail (it's the only English paper you can get in Switzerland, OK?!) it's "guaranteed to propel Oberst into the mainstream".

Cheers guys, I'll pop down to Fopp at the weekend and see what I can pick up... or if I'm feeling lazy I'll just fire up itunes.

On the subject of all things "whiney southern", does anyone know when the new Bright Eyes album comes out? I hear it's a belter, according to that great musical institution The Daily Mail (it's the only English paper you can get in Switzerland, OK?!) it's "guaranteed to propel Oberst into the mainstream".

Cassadega - joint with BRMC's Baby 81 for album of the year at the moment. as you say, belter.