aberdeen-music

www.aberdeen-sports.com?

Old Gold

can we at least cut the bullshit and called it the Football forum? As usual, every thread is called something like "best managers"...because football fans don't realise that you actually have to mention that you're talking about football if you want someone who is not particularly interested in it to understand (with regards to the best managers, i'd say that my current boss is great. he's fair and even handed and has a great sense of humour, but knows when to get serious when the work needs to be done) I have tried to ask some questions about karting and stuff, just to try to address the balance, but it has failed...aside from my 2 threads, 20/22 are about football, and about 3 of them actually mention football in the title. GAY

I'm sure that you can apply that rather limited outlook on the musical side of the forum too. Many styles of music only have one or two threads once in a blue moon, you don't see the pseudo-jazz enthusiasts greeting do you?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Perhaps people don't bother posting about anything else because they know that it will be lost in a sea of idiotic football-obsessed chat, and I fail to see how its popularity is a reason for people to have to assume that 'worst managers' means 'worst football club managers'. there is little to no chat on highly popular sports such as rugby, cricket, tennis, boxing, racing or olympic games.

aberdeen music is a music forum which has small sections devoted to other discussion, people should think before they post the thousandth football thread and consider joining a football forum. I am interested in cars, but you don't see me posting thread after thread about cars in 'general discussion', even though it wouldn't be against the forum rules or even particularly discouraged if i did. I simply have the smarts to figure out that if i want car related chat i should go on a car forum to get my kicks.

Perhaps people don't bother posting about anything else because they know that it will be lost in a sea of idiotic football-obsessed chat, and I fail to see how its popularity is a reason for people to have to assume that 'worst managers' means 'worst football club managers'. there is little to no chat on highly popular sports such as rugby, cricket, tennis, boxing, racing or olympic games.

Anyone else getting fed up of all this greetin' ?? ;(

So what if a lot of the sport discussed is about football. I love football, but also have a healthy interest in Golf, Tennis, Ice Hockey and used to be an international table tennis player. Why should i post a thread about table tennis to balance out the football/other sport threads?

Now the masters has started, you'll notice posts on golf. As the cricket world cup reaches critical stage, you'll see more posts on that. And i'm sure that you'll see a Wimbledon thread sometime in the summer...

Its gone from a "we hate sport" crowd to a "we hate football" one :love:

aberdeen music is a music forum which has small sections devoted to other discussion, people should think before they post the thousandth football thread and consider joining a football forum. I am interested in cars, but you don't see me posting thread after thread about cars in 'general discussion', even though it wouldn't be against the forum rules or even particularly discouraged if i did. I simply have the smarts to figure out that if i want car related chat i should go on a car forum to get my kicks.

Who the fuck is going to post a thread talking about their best manager at work you idiot? What else is it going to be about? Bloody hell, if you want to talk about Olympic Sports, start a thread about Olympic Sports. Start a thread about greco-roman midget wrestling if you want, I bet the football fans won't moan if you post it in the Sports thread.

there is little to no chat on highly popular sports such as rugby, cricket, tennis, boxing, racing or olympic games.

Take Rugby and Cricket, how many Aberdonians play/watch these games.

Sure they're popular in England and the lowlands of Scotland, but not up here so what do you expect from a message board in Aberdeen?

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Anyone else getting fed up of all this greetin' ?? ;(

So what if a lot of the sport discussed is about football. I love football, but also have a healthy interest in Golf, Tennis, Ice Hockey and used to be an international table tennis player. Why should i post a thread about table tennis to balance out the football/other sport threads?

Now the masters has started, you'll notice posts on golf. As the cricket world cup reaches critical stage, you'll see more posts on that. And i'm sure that you'll see a Wimbledon thread sometime in the summer...

Its gone from a "we hate sport" crowd to a "we hate football" one :love:

No, in fact I'm finding this period of grievance to be benefitial to my emotive state. So what if nobody discusses music, it's only a music site. People can discuss anything they want in the general discussion, but maybe they should calm down on the footy posts. People have to put some thought into what they start a thread on, and usually before I consider it, I think to myself "there is a point to me starting this thread, right? at least one member on the site will have a distant interest in this".

The same logic should be applied to football threads, but instead of my dilemma people should think to themselves "i know football's a popular sport and lots of people will have something to say, but maybe there have been enough football discussions on this music site. I'd be better off discussing it down the pub or even joining a popular football forum where the focus will be on the 'beautiful game' - hey, there might even be a subforum with off topic chat that people might use to discuss things like music"

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Or maybe because when they post about a band they like, they get torn apart by various members.

Then they should get a better taste in music

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Who the fuck is going to post a thread talking about their best manager at work you idiot? What else is it going to be about? Bloody hell, if you want to talk about Olympic Sports, start a thread about Olympic Sports. Start a thread about greco-roman midget wrestling if you want, I bet the football fans won't moan if you post it in the Sports thread.

Well I'm sorry, but the thread was called 'best manager' and when I think of the general use of the term 'manager' I think of someone in a working environment who is of a position in the hierarchy that makes him or her responsible looking after a workforce.

Who the fuck is going to post a thread talking about their best manager at work you idiot?

could be talking about band managers, obviously, which makes for more sense in the context of the website.

I find this notion that some people believe that *everyone* is into football or gives a toss about it pretty offensive.

It might be great for these deeply uniniteresting people to have something deeply unininteresting to talk to each other about in their otherwise deeply uninteresting lives, along with what was on the telly last night etc, but not everyone in the world watches Lost or gets excited by watching uneducated guys in shorts kicking a ball around. Not everyone is so weak that they have to cling onto all that crap as a substitute for a true sense of identity.

Anyway, I don't see much point in the general discussion forum itself, letalone splitting it up into subsections.

Well I'm sorry, but the thread was called 'best manager' and when I think of the general use of the term 'manager' I think of someone in a working environment who is of a position in the hierarchy that makes him or her responsible looking after a workforce.

Which is what a football manager is.

Anyway, it was in the sports forum so that was more of a mistake on your part than the original poster.

could be talking about band managers, obviously, which makes for more sense in the context of the website.

I find this notion that some people believe that *everyone* is into football or gives a toss about it pretty offensive.

It might be great for these deeply uniniteresting people to have something deeply unininteresting to talk to each other about in their otherwise deeply uninteresting lives, along with what was on the telly last night etc, but not everyone in the world watches Lost or gets excited by watching uneducated guys in shorts kicking a ball around. Not everyone is so weak that they have to cling onto all that crap as a substitute for a true sense of identity.

Anyway, I don't see much point in the general discussion forum itself, letalone splitting it up into subsections.

More specifically the thread about best managers was in the context of a sports thread, so i doubt anybody would expect it to be about band managers. Oh, and footballer Gerry Britton has a politics degree, so they ain't all uneducated. I'm sure you would like to blab on about how degrees are worthless, but that doesn't change the fact that he's educated to what is generally the highest level education that you could expect most people to have. Plus they don't only kick a ball around, the also use head, knee, chest it, and use their bodies in many ways to control or move the ball. In addition football has an interesting tactical side to it, which engages the brain. And we don't watch football as a "substitute for a true sense of identity", we watch because we're a big bunch of gays who get excited by men in shorts.

Not in the sports forum

Who said that, or are you just speaking in general? The only thing I've seen on this thread is the claim that football is the most popular sport in the world, no one has claimed that most people in the world like football

Maybe they just enjoy it?

As has been proven in the past, without general discussion/the wasteland, people will post unrelated shit in the music forums.

What's weak about talking about football you arrogant prick? Perhaps weakness in my eyes is repeatedly posting sarcastic, unconstructive comments on message boards as a defensive mechanism so that when nobody likes you you can pretend it was because you acted like a dick *on purpose*.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Which is what a football manager is.

Anyway, it was in the sports forum so that was more of a mistake on your part than the original poster.

why is that? is 'sports' synonymous with 'football'? the answer is no, so it could have referred to any sort of manager in the world of sports.

why is that? is 'sports' synonymous with 'football'? the answer is no, so it could have referred to any sort of manager in the world of sports.

Yeah, but your original point was that it could have applied to ANY manager.

Sport only seems synonymous with football because that's what the majority of people (better watch how I word this before Stripey feels like I'm lumping him in with all the retards in the world) who like sport, on these forums, want to talk about.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make with all the car threads, unless you're trying to prove that more people on the boards are interested in talking about football than about cars, which I'm pretty sure I could have told you anyway since car specs are a pretty 'niche-y' thing.

However, I again simply skimmed through the new posts and read the ones I wanted to read about, which is a tactic that can surely work for everybody without tears and tantrums.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make with all the car threads, unless you're trying to prove that more people on the boards are interested in talking about football than about cars, which I'm pretty sure I could have told you anyway since car specs are a pretty 'niche-y' thing.

However, I again simply skimmed through the new posts and read the ones I wanted to read about, which is a tactic that can surely work for everybody without tears and tantrums.

I'm not trying to make any point at all - I just figured that 'general discussion' was the best place to get going with some car threads. I love cars, me.