aberdeen-music

www.aberdeen-sports.com?

Old Gold

i don't like going onto a music website and seeing that the "recent threads" section is full of sports threads and nothing else. o_O

So if i walk into a music pub and the first people i see guys in football tops, i should suggest they find somewhere else to go, as i'd rather hang out with the sexy single girls with good music taste at the back.

Crap analogy, but i hope you see what i'm getting at.

... I'm also thinking of Neil's pocket! New site etc etc would be hitting him pretty hard i reckon. Then the idea of having to moderate another site as well as this one... etc etc...

you're saying that to the only 'supporter' posting on this thread.

So if i walk into a music pub and the first people i see guys in football tops, i should suggest they find somewhere else to go, as i'd rather hang out with the sexy single girls with good music taste at the back.

Crap analogy, but i hope you see what i'm getting at.

I don't get it.

I'll freely admit that I generally just use the Sports forum and rarely chip in in the music forum, mostly because I like talking about sport, and because I don't know much about the local music scene, and thus the sports chit chat appeals to me more. I'm more interested in going to watch the Dons at Pittodrie than going to watch a band at Drummonds. A lot of the chat on the music pages is about bands I've never heard of and I don't listen to so I don't have much to contribute. However if the opportunity arises to gabber on for hours about football then I feel I can get as much enjoyment out of the site as the people who can talk about music as much as I can talk about football. Perhaps not the original point of the site, but if the sports section closed down I wouldn't use the boards nearly as much.

A lot of people use these boards for a lot of different reasons, some to promote their band, some to find out about new bands, some to sell their stuff, some to talk about what happened on Neighbours that day, I personally like the fact that there is whole different mix of stuff going on that I can join into if the feeling takes me.

What I do is go to "Find new posts", have a quick scan at the titles, and read the threads I'm interested in reading about. Surely it can't take up too much energy to spend 5 seconds sifting through the threads to the ones you want to read.

I don't get it.

You are suggesting that those who have an interest in music and football go to another site (pub), so those of you who don't have an interest in football can speak about music exclusively.

Currently the site (pub) we have allows us to have our own forums (areas of the pub), and the reason you are getting peeved off, is because the first people you see in this pub are those talking about football. Well sometimes in life you have to walk past them to get to your friends and exclusive music chat...

• Upvote 1

I guess the point I am trying to make, but struggling, is that although I joined the site to talk about music (which I do do on occasion when there's a thread about a band I like), the sports and the 'general chat' is just an added bonus which keep me coming back. I say kudos to Neil for keeping it diverse and interesting.

don't forget the 3,092 posts in those 62 threads, though.

?

And there are 3,801 posts in Movies & TV. My point is that of all the 'non-music' forums in the General Discussion area, Sports isn't even the busiest one. So are you objecting because it's non-music related, or just because it's sport?

I think to say 'just' because it's sport implies some sort of hatred of the topic. The element I personally dislike is how far removed from the topic of music it is, and nothing more.

I did make this thread constructively by the way. I still believe a seperate site for sports would benefit uncluttering this website and allowing more freedom in the discussion of sports. Yet somehow a few people seem to have jumped in with a pretty nasty attitude.

?

And there are 3,801 posts in Movies & TV. My point is that of all the 'non-music' forums in the General Discussion area, Sports isn't even the busiest one. So are you objecting because it's non-music related, or just because it's sport?

tv and movies were regularly discussed in the general discussion area before sub-forums were introduced. sports was also discussed, but not on such a scale. it occurred to me when i visited the site on a few occassions and the recent threads section on the front page was filled with 4 out of 5 sports thread.

With regards to a seperate site for sports specifically. There are hundreds of dedicated sports sites on the web, and a fair few of those are local to Aberdeen. I post on an Aberdeen FC forum about football and read a couple of others.

But sometimes I want to talk about football with the users of this site as well, as they don't post on the other sites. And as this is a community where people are, on the whole, friends I might want to share sports news with them or discuss the weekends results with those friends. So I have to do it here because they don't post on the other sites.

Setting up a seperate website wouldn't solve this problem as I don't think there are enough posters taking part in the sports discussions to warrant it and then some of those that do take part just now would be lost in the switchover.

Here's some stats:

In the last 24 hours there are 6 active sports threads (i.e. with at least one post) out of 67 active threads in total, that's less than 9%.

There have been 43 posts on the sports forum, which by a remarkable coincidence is exactly the same amount of posts on this thread once I post this.

Nothing good on tv tonight then?

:laughing:

No, I'm not going to set-up a dedicated sports discussion web site for Aberdeen because it isn't something it interests me in the slightest.

I honestly don't see the problem here. If you don't want to read the threads about sport then don't look in the sports sub-forum. It's really that simple folks.

That's why we started splitting the off-topic stuff into separate forums so you could easily read the content you wanted to read rather than have to wade through a whole load of other threads first (ala Wasteland).

Why do we have off-topic forums at all? Because if we didn't people would insist on posting off-topic stuff in the other music related forums (like they used to do in the bad old days). The off-topic forums discourage this type of thing from happening and allow our community to chat about other things as, after all, you can only chat about music related stuff for so long...

?

I think it's just because it's sport, to be fair. Shaun hates sport.

Guest Neutral
i don't like going onto a music website and seeing that the "recent threads" section is full of sports threads and nothing else. o_O

There is a way that certain sections can be ignored by the recent threads section the mods just have to implement it

Guest Tam o' Shantie

can we at least cut the bullshit and called it the Football forum? As usual, every thread is called something like "best managers"...because football fans don't realise that you actually have to mention that you're talking about football if you want someone who is not particularly interested in it to understand (with regards to the best managers, i'd say that my current boss is great. he's fair and even handed and has a great sense of humour, but knows when to get serious when the work needs to be done) I have tried to ask some questions about karting and stuff, just to try to address the balance, but it has failed...aside from my 2 threads, 20/22 are about football, and about 3 of them actually mention football in the title. GAY

can we at least cut the bullshit and called it the Football forum? As usual, every thread is called something like "best managers"...because football fans don't realise that you actually have to mention that you're talking about football if you want someone who is not particularly interested in it to understand (with regards to the best managers, i'd say that my current boss is great. he's fair and even handed and has a great sense of humour, but knows when to get serious when the work needs to be done) I have tried to ask some questions about karting and stuff, just to try to address the balance, but it has failed...aside from my 2 threads, 20/22 are about football, and about 3 of them actually mention football in the title. GAY

The lesson you can take from that is that karting is a minority interest sport, where as football is the most popular sport in the world, and such is it's dominance that you needn't mention it in a thread title, because most people can assume it's about football. Nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.