aberdeen-music

t break results...

*Blossom*

Originally posted by soundian:

The regional heats were held across Scotland. Now everyone has to go to Glasgow or Edinburgh, which gives the locals a bit of an unfair advantage, unless they make all the Glasgow bands play in Edinburgh and vice-versa.

I never realised that was now the case... I don't suppose they cover any travel expenses do they?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Donald
Originally posted by *Blossom*:

got this off the radio 1 site...

bands playing this years showcase gigs are...

Monkeytribe, The Day I Snapped, MyCousinKate, Eric and the Bunny-Boilers, Chase, Stick Finlays, The Pedestrians, The Cinematics, Calvin, Nibushi Shang Hong, Ellis, DiRtBoX, All My Logic, Weird Attractors, Elkin, De Rosa, Venetian Love Triangle, Brainchild, The Contras, Small Enclosed Areas, His Girl Friday, Certain Death, Mangara, Red Bee Society, Team Salt, Allergo, Turning 13, Boss Star, Spindrift, Forced Asphixia, Major Major, Poor Old Ben, The February Solution, Cosmos, Fred, FB Collective, Luxury Car, Yard Emcees, Unkle Bob, Playtone, Lipsick!, Strange Feelings, Sporting Hero, Josephine, Aviator Shades, Last Great Wilderness, Painted Little Men, Pupkin.

Are all these bands Scottish? Just curious to know if Spindrift are an Irish band who I heard had split up.

Originally posted by Bob:

I never realised that was now the case... I don't suppose they cover any travel expenses do they?

Last year was the first one that way. Gives the central belt bands a bit of an advantage imo.

I think you do get expenses, and some pish warm Tennents cans that the weegie bands nick when you're on-stage.

That's what happened to T13 last year anyway.

Originally posted by soundian:

Last year was the first one that way. Gives the central belt bands a bit of an advantage imo.

I think you do get expenses, and some pish warm Tennents cans that the weegie bands nick when you're on-stage.

*sigh*

Originally posted by Danny Doubt:

I was surprised to see Dirtbox in their having heard they were bollocks.

Hearsay is always the best way to judge a band.

i think it is wrong to just have the heats in glasgow and edinburgh though it does give the lucky bands who got through the chance to play king tuts or the liquid rooms i suppose

blooming waste of time though the whole thing if you ask me...

I was speaking to one of the judges a few weeks back.

There were approximately 400-500 Scottish acts that applied for it.

There are a series heats in both Edinburgh and Glasgow... sort of a 'battle of the bands' set up, the winners of the heats get to play the 'T break' stage at T in the park :)

Well done to the local acts who got through. :D

Originally posted by Bob:

*sigh*

Hearsay is always the best way to judge a band.

I agree Bob *high five*.

Fair enough many of these boards users don't like Dirtbox and of course you're entitled to your own opinion. But the band work so hard together, have pockets of fans all over Scotland and with over 200 shows under their belts they totally deserve to do something something like this. They've already had interest from Golf Records and played support slots for Jesse James and Strung Out, and T-break is gonna give them experience of playing in front of a larger crowd and a chance to be noticed. Forgive me for saying, but I sense jealousy.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

I was speaking to one of the judges a few weeks back.

There were approximately 400-500 Scottish acts that applied for it.

There are a series heats in both Edinburgh and Glasgow... sort of a 'battle of the bands' set up, the winners of the heats get to play the 'T break' stage at T in the park :)

Well done to the local acts who got through. :D

what on earth are you saying? everyone knows how the t-break heats work...

Originally posted by Tam o' Shantie:

what on earth are you saying? everyone knows how the t-break heats work...

Do they? I didn't know it was the winner of each heat that went through, I thought they watched all the bands and picked the best, regardless of which heat they played in. That's how it used to work anyway.

it works like this, important bods down in glasgow sit there and decide who will play, it usually comes down to which bands they know, have a decent profile and they think have a snippets chance of getting somewhere.

its no big deal, the tent is usually empty anyway but its a free ticket to the event and the chance to play a festival stage.

I wasn't going to mention about the tent usually being pretty damn empty (was trying to be positive). We got asked to submit an entry but decided not to in the end, partially due to this factor.

But for the bands, the best of lick and it does give you experience on a much larger stage. :)

sadly your always up against a bigger name band on another stage/tent. for example when i went to see nero in the t break tent in 2001, they were up against the strokes and the crowd was mainly from aberdeen! just don't expect any a & r to bother their arses, they'll be far too busy in the hospitality tent getting pished.

Having spoken to some of the judges and also a fellow from DF, there was a collective sigh at the paucity of a majority of entrants this year, and a frustration that a lot of bands which, and I'm paraphrasing a quote here, "would have got through" didn't even enter. The reason a lot of bands didn't enter is because they were pissed off at the unfairness of recent years' selections and also the experiences of some of the bands who played and found it quite soul destroying. One band I was managing played the T Break stage and it was the direct catalyst to their split a few months later... so, if you are one of the bands who entered and you do go all the way, don't expect to have 'arrived' straight away. Nobody comes to see you - it's like doing an out of town gig where a dozen people are dotted around waiting for their mates' band to come on - only they are even more spread out!

A lot of the other bands I spoke to who didn't enter gave the same reason as Real Shocks - to quote Nick Cave, "My muse is not a horse." At the end of the day, T Break is just DF's corporate 'battle of the bands' competition to appease the Scottish music scene... if they were serious they would be putting said winners on the main stage, rather than in their own wee ghetto.

yeah that just about sums it up perfectly i think. i think the amount of bands who have played t break in the 10 or so years its been running who have actually gone onto any success is travis (when they were glass onion) and cosmic rough riders, though the fact they played the t break stage had bugger all to do with their success. i've also heard of bands who play the stage getting shoddy treatment when they're down there. yeah and the last point is particulary relevant, if your gonna hold a competition to find the best new talent (allegedly) then why not let them play with the big boys on the proper stages. even those bands who play at lunchtime get a bigger crowd than in the t break stage, usually hungover people smoking joints but hey a crowd is a crowd.

Just to clear up a few points.

Cherrykicks played the Glasgow heat with us last year, not edinburgh, they had the biggest support there, were very good, and Dave Cherrykicks was very pleasant.

T-Break cover the travel expenses for bands that have to come from afar. Plus put you up in a hotel for the night if you're coming from the likes of Elgin. Each band get a case of beer, and yes it is warm pish.

T in the park give each band member a free pass for the weekend, and give you 5 other free weekend tickets for your mates. You get access to the hospitality area, free beer, and 75.

Most of the times i was in the T-break Tent at T in park last year it was surprisingly busy. We had a pretty massive crowd when we played, despite clashing with Biffy Clyro and Snow Patrol. But we know loads of folk from Elgin and Aberdeen who promised they would come along. Took a photo from stage at the end, and you can't see any gaps in the crowd from front to back.

You fo get A&R folk showing up at the tent, but it is usually only to see bands that they already have an interest in. You also get the occasional rock star, as we had Idlewild come down to watch our set, due to us meeting them at the T-Break Seminar and giveing them a cd.

All in all its an enjoyable, cheap experience. I understand why a lot of the bands who didn't enter chose not to, but i feel that they shouldn't moan about the results or slag other bands off because it doesn't match their opionions of who should and shouldn't win.