aberdeen-music

John Petrucci or Jimi Hendrix?

ingramicity

i'd go with hendrix, but it's mostly because i've grown up listening to him. to me, hendrix put more felling and soul in what he played than petrucci does. i'm certainly in awe of petrucci's actual ability because he has incredible control and speed which has taken years and years of dedication to achieve, but for me, that doesn't necessarily make him the better player. being fast doesn't necessarily equate to being good. take for example a comparison between kerry king and dimebag. kerry can play every note on the neck at a hundred miles an hour but i'd rather listen to dimebag because he chooses the notes more carefully and makes each one count.

at the end of the day tho, it's a very personal thing. i love hendrix's stuff more than any other musicians output and although i'm appreciative of the technical abilities of dream theater's musicians, i'm not a big fan of their output, which will clearly make me biased. in the same way, i love pantera but don't like slayer.

which is what makes the world interesting!

spoons

X

Guest Scott 5FD

Hendrix played with more passion and you can feel the emotion in every note he played.

haven't heard Dream Theatre myself, so i dunno this Petrucci fellow.

Hendrix. He basically invented modern guitar playing, and has influenced hundreds of bands around the world, which can't be said for mr. Petrucci. Hendrix put so much feeling into his guitar playing, but anybody can play fast if they practise enough, so in my opinion there is no contest.

basically ur saying whats the difference between a really greatly skilled guitarist (petrucci), which lets face it there are plenty of.... or someone who revolutionised guitar playing in that age and forever more.

I cant see the competition, maybe if you said, who is better - petrucci / vai or steve ray vaugn/hendrix

petrucci and hendrix are completely different plus how does the fact hendrix died have any influence on ure decision over who is better and no he didnt really use loads of effects, no doubt petrucci uses lots more - i have one dream theatre album and i mustve listened to it twice due to the general monotonous tone/feeling of it, no doubt they are very skilled musicians but so wat, that doesnt make a band

I vote Petrucci, just because he is so versatile and advanced. I think Hendrix did a lot for the guitar world, but to me John Petrucci is the just at the top of the league.

It's hard to compare really cos they werent around at the same time...Petrucci didnt get a chance to revolutionise guitar playin like Hendrix did before music evolved so much and Hendrix didnt exsist when there was such styles as Metal to show us what he can do in.

Originally posted by Dayeth:

It's hard to compare really cos they werent around at the same time...Petrucci didnt get a chance to revolutionise guitar playin like Hendrix did before music evolved so much and Hendrix didnt exsist when there was such styles as Metal to show us what he can do in.

Very good point. It would be different if you put Petrucci back in that time warp, he'd be worshipped more than Hendrix. And just because Petrucci isn't as well known that doesn't make him less a succesor.

Anyway both their styles are completely different. And anyone who acuses Petrucci of only playing fast with no feeling is sadly mistaken.

Guest pop-notmyface
Originally posted by ingramicity:

Note: (if hendrix is so great, whys he dead?)

cos people die eventually, and if they achieved great things, they become a legend, such as Jimi Hendrix