aberdeen-music

Talented Local Musicians

Guest djdjdj

Thank you someone appreciates the dude. I was gobsmacked when i first heard him play but i've noticed he's not had the best reception from aberdeen.

That's because, while he is technically a good guitarist, he ruins every fucking song he plays by doing a ridiculous 5 minute widdly solo that lacks any feeling whatsoever. The man is reponsible for one of the absolute worst hendrix covers I've ever had the misfortune to hear. Thankfully I've only seen him play once.

If he turned himself down a couple of notches and just showed a little restraint he might be good. As it stands he's just a reason to avoid drummonds a couple of times a month.

Now if you really want to see an amazing guitarist do an astounding hendrix cover I can heartily recommend Son Henry.

That's because, while he is technically a good guitarist, he ruins every fucking song he plays by doing a ridiculous 5 minute widdly solo that lacks any feeling whatsoever. The man is reponsible for one of the absolute worst hendrix covers I've ever had the misfortune to hear. Thankfully I've only seen him play once.

If he turned himself down a couple of notches and just showed a little restraint he might be good. As it stands he's just a reason to avoid drummonds a couple of times a month.

Now if you really want to see an amazing guitarist do an astounding hendrix cover I can heartily recommend Son Henry.

I tend to agree that it can get long winded. The technical ability he has is great but i've never quite seen him as good as that first time.

He probably does the songs he covers no justice musically or by getting the feel of the song right but I find his technical ability a joy to watch. Rather in the same way I enjoyed a Steve Vai DVD recently whilst thinking "this is really shit".

Wow! I must admit I have nothing but resect for Jablonski. Son Henry's Hendrix is good too (although as the guitarist in his band, I'm bound to say that!).

Avoid Drummonds when Jablonski plays? Jablonski rocks - Aberdeen should be proud of musicians of his calibar, not every city has them, believe me...

Guest Mr Blastcap
Wow! I must admit I have nothing but resect for Jablonski. Son Henry's Hendrix is good too (although as the guitarist in his band, I'm bound to say that!).

Avoid Drummonds when Jablonski plays? Jablonski rocks - Aberdeen should be proud of musicians of his calibar, not every city has them, believe me...

Jablonski bashing! what fun, i have no idea if he is technically good not being qualified to make such artisitic judgements folks. but one time i saw him in drummonds he produced nill points in both sides of the great musical divide: me (moany music snob) and normals (work associates who like mainstream stuff) were so annoyed by his note frenzy during an Alice in Chains cover that we had to leave....it was HORRIBLE!

i saw jablonski in drummonds once, while trying to avoid some drunken fool who cornered me n a couple mates in slains, drummonds was our escape pod, however it did not work, the fool found us, despite this littlie anecdote, i was impressed by his skill but also put off at the smile he made during his solos, as if to say look at me!!!

Go to Kef on a Thursday night, and you will see who I would put down on my list.

I think that is;

Scott Cruickshank - Guitar

Mike Ray - Bass

Fraser (can't remember last name) - drums

guy i can't remember the name of - piano

They are all very good

Other great local musicians include;

Ian Milne - Piano

Evelyn Glenny - percussion

Vijay Pilau - piano and keyboards

George Norval - guitar

Dave Robets - Saxaphone

Eric (really old guy who comes out with terrible jokes) - piano and keyboards

There are a few other great musicians that I know of lecturing at Abedeen University and Aberdeen College.

I probably mispelt a number of the names above.

I am not a huge fan of the term 'talented'. It suggests that someone has a natural ability which on the most part is false. All great musicains became great by a huge amount of hard work. Some people have more initiative to learn by themselves or are naturally more creative than others and often get accused of being 'talented' as a result. Some people are obviously gifted but I think for the most part, becoming a great musician in down to hard work.

Another question could be, 'Do I like what they play?' the answer is mostly yes to above.

Who, in your opinion is a great local musician?

Andi Watson - unbelievably talented guitarist, great tutor and above all, a lovely guy.

He can widdle & shred with the best of them, but understands the inconsequence of these techniques when compared with playing from the heart.

A topper.

Andi Watson - unbelievably talented guitarist, great tutor and above all, a lovely guy.

Is he back in Aberdeen? Last I heard (admittedly a few years ago) he was in America. Great guitarist though and a very good teacher. Shame I wasn't a very good pupil.

If he's back over here I'll start recommending him again when people ask me if I know a good teacher.

Is he back in Aberdeen? Last I heard (admittedly a few years ago) he was in America. Great guitarist though and a very good teacher. Shame I wasn't a very good pupil.

If he's back over here I'll start recommending him again when people ask me if I know a good teacher.

Yep - back in town, married and with a baby on the way. He's also got a new band "Hush" and they do early 70's covers. I think they're at the Malt Mill on Nov 3rd.