aberdeen-music

Aberdeen University or RGU?

Guest NULL

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to RGU and the general feel of the place is very, very 'studenty'. It doesn't really feel like a University, it's very Business orientated, to the point where I study Social Sciences but often feel I might aswell be sitting in a Business lecture.

It depends what you want to study. Personally I wish I'd taken more Highers and given myself the chance to go to Aberdeen University and do something like Cultural History or English Literature, I've got an Advanced Higher in English which I feel like I've totally wasted. I feel like Mark in Peep Show, who wanted to study Ancient History and ended up doing Business Studies and now lives in a 9-5 existance of perpetual regret.

If anybody here works for RGU and wants to use the above blurb for this years prospectus, they're more than welcome to wedge it between the Drinks Promo cut-outs and the Top Ten Student Anthems section.

If your wanting to do a more practical degree (science, management or technical) i'd say RGU, if your wanting a educational degree (english, languages or classics) i'd say Aberdeen. It really does depend on what you want to do. The worst thing you could do is decide to go to one because all your friends are there and end up stuck doing something you really don't have any interest in.

I'd say pick Aberdeen as although it is full of "Aberdeen Gaylords" you will actually get a degree that is worth something, not the comedy one you get from RGU...

(waits for barrage of abuse)

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree that Aberdeen is for the more academic of mind.

I think most people who go or went to RGU (myself included) have done so because you actually get a degree that actually means something to an employer.

I could of gone to Aberdeen Univ, but didn't because I had an idea of what I wanted to doalready, and did a far more practical and relevant course at RGU that would get me there faster.

I'm not academic and would never attain to be, but thats not to say that its a bad thing. Its good that theres a choice.

I'd say pick Aberdeen as although it is full of "Aberdeen Gaylords" you will actually get a degree that is worth something, not the comedy one you get from RGU...

(waits for barrage of abuse)

At least you can get a job with the comedy one from RGU.

Seriously, despite the snobbery that it gets from AU they are both good at different things. When I went to Uni I had a choice of 2 subjects I wanted to do, English and Computing. I went to RGU because it's a more technical Uni and I'd decided to do Computing. If I'd gone for English I would have chosen Aberdeen Uni (if for no other reason than I don't think RGU offers an English degree).

It really depends on what you want to study, what you want to get out of your time there and what you want to do afterwards.

I have experience of both but then you may be a totally different cat than me. I had 4 months at Aberdeen before dropping out then a year later went to RGU (the college in disguise) for 4 years. I hated both equally for different reasons. My problem was that I didn't want to go to Uni, it just seemed the done thing. I don't think my degree has really done me any favours and I see it as 4 years wasted that I didn't even enjoy. I would urge you to only go to Uni if you really have an ambition to do so. A lot of degrees don't mean heehaw anymore.

What are you thinking of studying and.......where do you see yourself in 5 years!?!

Guest Callum, Underflow
If your wanting to do a more practical degree (science, management or technical) i'd say RGU, if your wanting a educational degree (english, languages or classics) i'd say Aberdeen. It really does depend on what you want to do. The worst thing you could do is decide to go to one because all your friends are there and end up stuck doing something you really don't have any interest in.

Very true. But if your going to uni solely to get a job then chose RGU, if your going to experiance being a student then go th Aberdeen.

Very true. But if your going to uni solely to get a job then chose RGU, if your going to experiance being a student then go th Aberdeen.

I don't see how going to RGU makes it any less of an experience.

Being a student is being a student.

You do the same things and have the same opportunities.

Infact, during my course at RGU I got trips to London, Amsterdam and New York.... so I think I did quite well.

Guest Callum, Underflow

I go to RGU and love it here so i'm not trying to put the uni down or anything, it's just there is less student partisapation here.

ie i was union president and it was next to imposible to encourage new societies to form and get SRC meetings organised

If you're interested in something that both unis do a course in, give a thought to placements as well. For example, I chose Aberdeen to do my degree because at RGU my third year would have been spent working at a firm. From what I hear if you do a placement you are normally offered a job at the end of your degree, but personally I thought that I already have the thought of 60 years of work and additional training lined up for me at the end of my degree, why spend a quarter of your student life working in an office?

Also, a degree in something could mean you have an MA from Aberdeen but a BA in Robert Gordons (for example Accountancy). I have heard rumours that people down South think that if you have an MA you have a post-grad degree (given that an MA down there *is* post-grad) and are unaware that the old Scottish universities are special, but I don't know if I believe it or not. It doesn't really make a difference anyway, I suppose.

I can't say much that wouldn't be regurgitating although between my friends (there's a pretty even split between the two uni's) a lot more of the RGU people are unhappy with how their courses are ran and generally have a greater dislike for their courses.

Being an Aberdeen student I can't really say there's been many problems in the 4 years I've studied there.

at RGU my third year would have been spent working at a firm. From what I hear if you do a placement you are normally offered a job at the end of your degree... why spend a quarter of your student life working in an office?

I think you answered your own question there.

My placement certainly helped me when I started working after graduation. Although it was for a different company, I gained experience that was useful in the workplace and that gave me something relevent to talk about at my job interview.

At the end of the day you go to Uni to help build your career, a placement is a great way to get practical experience that is extremely valuable when you finish your degree. It's hard enough getting work if you've got a popular degree, why hamper yourself even further by not taking an opportunity to get something which will help you stand out above some of your peers? And you get paid for it as well.

I can't say much that wouldn't be regurgitating although between my friends (there's a pretty even split between the two uni's) a lot more of the RGU people are unhappy with how their courses are ran and generally have a greater dislike for their courses.

Being an Aberdeen student I can't really say there's been many problems in the 4 years I've studied there.

I'm no expert but I think thats a pretty inconclusive statement, unless of course you're friends with the entire student population of Aberdeen?

I would guess that stakes are probably even in that respect, stretching it out across the board.

I could be wrong though....someone will now no doubt produce a poll that backs your personal experience.

These kinds of things always happen to me.:down:

why spend a quarter of your student life working in an office?

A placement can be very beneficial on a lot of levels, you get to work in a "real world" environment and that in itself can give you a better idea of the direction you might want to choose. You make good contacts - I've hired a few ex-stoods who did placements on my team.

The work experience though, is really the most invaluable thing. When I was a spotty nerd, I assumed that my qualifications would cut a swathe right to the CEO's chair, but I found out very quickly that in industry, BSC stands for "Big Silly Cunt" and that I really knew sweet fuck-all :dunce:

My placement gave me the opportunity to get my hands dirty - without the responsibility - and I learned a lot.

Most Prospective employers are more impressed with mundane, but successfully excecuted jobs you have done in the real world, that any funcy pie-in-the-sky project work.

Good luck with the course.

DZL