aberdeen-music

Aberdeen, is it any good?

HeinzHines

Guest Neubeatz
Please discuss what Aberdeen has to offer (for bands) and what people are doing to make a difference? I would like to hear from all alternative scenes to know what everyone thinks. Thanks.

it has a beer for each punter the band gets through the door, and a really tight clique

9554_-_josephine.JPG

:up:

what do you mean by 'make a difference'?

aberdeen has a good range of venues for bands to play with a wide variety of payment options. it's conveniently located very very far away from all record labels therefore it should encourage new start ups and self motivation, and hopefully discourage those bands desperate for major label success and whoredom to split up or move on. :)

i dunno, aberdeen obviously doesn't have a massive amount to offer bands if they're looking for worldwide success. what it does have though is a fairly friendly and co-operative scene with a good variety of bands who (for the most part) get on and enjoy playing together. i don't know who's doing things to make a difference. it's a shame gonorth is moving on (it wasn't perfect but it was something).

i think the bands who are really making a difference are probably venhell, copy haho, hookers green and my minds weapon. they're the only ones who seem to be regularly getting out there and touring and showing the rest of the country that there's good stuff happening up here.

Hmmmmmmmm

Our Toon has a fairly respectable music scene. What we do benefit from is not having to follow the crowd and churn out band after band that sound like 3 or 4 pages of the NME.

To be honest there is a tad too much discussion about what,why and who and not, at times, enough getting on and doing. We have a history in Aberdeen of plodding along with a 'we're all right Jack' attitude (not just music) which is damaging because it leads to complacency and under acheiving. There are quite a few making a difference through selfishly wanting more and this has, over the last few years, had an encouraging effect because its an attitude that breeds. We should all breed more I reckon.

Fuck the negativity!!!!!!

Grrrrrr.... o_O

This is an interesting debate that springs up now and again:swearing: :up:

PS

What does do my nut though is the fuckers that sit on the sidelines doing jack-shit except moaning about those that are puttiing their shoulders against the door and trying to open it a little further.

Please discuss what Aberdeen has to offer (for bands) and what people are doing to make a difference? I would like to hear from all alternative scenes to know what everyone thinks. Thanks.

I would also like to hear what bands want, what anyone thinks is lacking and what differences could or should be made? Big picture stuff :)

This is obviously fodder for another thread.

On a related topic: Wednesday sees the first Scottish Executive Forum on the Music Industry, which will likely throw out a few interesting conversation points.

i think the bands who are really making a difference are probably venhell, copy haho, hookers green and my minds weapon. they're the only ones who seem to be regularly getting out there and touring and showing the rest of the country that there's good stuff happening up here.

Nevermind Driveblind who are signed to a major....

Nevermind Driveblind who are signed to a major....

but not based in aberdeen or indeed this country so surely not relevant to a discussion on the aberdeen scene at the moment.

and time will tell how much they'll get out of that deal but obviously they seem to be doing ok just now. fair play and all that.

but not based in aberdeen or indeed this country so surely not relevant to a discussion on the aberdeen scene at the moment.

and time will tell how much they'll get out of that deal but obviously they seem to be doing ok just now. fair play and all that.

and : ( also, I do think there is certain styles of music that are quite deprived in Aberdeen such as Reggae and Ska which is a great shame.

I completely agree with Two joe's comments about us not having to follow the NME trend in terms of the music scene, which a lot of cities can't say as it seems to spread like fire.

it's a shame gonorth is moving on (it wasn't perfect but it was something).

It has gone north for the Highlands 2007 Year of Culture. Only fair being that they are the primary funders of the bloomin thing. Not sure if it is returning and that may well be determined by the success up there. Be nice to get out of town for a bit though...:)

BBRX (www.blackboxrecords.co.uk) - Bringing touring crust/punk/hardcore/metal/sludge/loud and angst ridden bands to this city since 2002.

Filthpact (www.filthpact.com) - European crust punk circuit favourites ;)

Shaz/Dr Drakes/Arkade/Dizzy Storm also needs a mention in this thread as she's worked hard and brought alot of great touring acts to Aberdeen over the years.

Aberdeen's alright. I find it's better to just concentrate on what you're doing/what you want to do without giving much consideration to a particular scene. Not that i dont appreciate aberdeen's music scene - it's cool bands can exsist here etc! Though there are a handfull of people doing really positive things, on the whole aberdeen could be a little more pro-active - you know, more diy labels/shows/tours/self releases etc etc.

i hate, and feel sad, to see good people moving away from aberdeen all the time because apparantly 'its shit' and 'nothing good happens here'.....moan moan moan...but, it doesnt matter where you live, a place is what YOU make it, so it'd be rad if people just put a bit more effort into getting 'whatever it is you want to see happening' actually happening in this city, (whatever your interests are...art/music/dance/writing)...get creative and make a difference!!! ....instead of relying on other people to hand it to you on a plate...and then moan for one reason or another :)

See i like Aberdeen, but i think it has potential for growth....there are a couple of venues i feel could be put to better use.

Dizzy Storm, IMP, Maxi, filthpact, Tunnels , RFR etc....they are all doing good jobs in different areas of the aberdeen music 'scene'.

I wish there was more council money made available to some promoters so we could compete with Glasgow for getting some decent artists up here that seem to be put off with the 2 1/2 hour distance from the central belt, im sure more money could persuade them! I just feel that we are missing out on a few good shows because of location, when quite honestly, we are pretty easy to get to and have decent venues also.

Is there anything planned for 2007 in ways of free festivals etc in aberdeen? Like shift/go north etc...

Also i would like us not to get stiffed on the tryptich line up next year aswell.