Guest Jake Wifebeater

Guest Jake Wifebeater

First round of pre-season friendlies yesterday, here's some scores:

Spartak Trnava 1-3 Hearts

Raith Rovers 1-4 Dundee United

Twente Enschede 0-7 Dunfermline

Fenice Pistoia 0-5 Inverness

Intertoto Cup:

FC Dinaburg 0-3 Hibs, Hibs win 8-0 on aggregate.

Good stuff from the DA against admittedly weak opposition, and RossP will be chuffed as well. So, how do you see the season going for your side? Once again, I'll be happy to get a good Cup run and avoid relegation but I foresee another season at the arse-end of the table. Come on the DA.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I've let my AFC season ticket lapse' date=' I just can't justify spending all that money on what is going to be our worst season in years. There's been no attempt to increase the depth of the squad, and any injuries will result in 17 year-olds plugging the gaps. I'll be amazed if we make the top 6.[/quote']

The usual optimistic sheepie, then! Dunfermline just signed Phil McGuire on a two-year deal, is he a good signing?

Well, provided we get through the 2nd qualifying round, it's pretty likely the JTs'll be dicked out the Champions League at the 3rd qualifying, and drop into the UEFA. I'd be delighted if we got through the group stages of that, but that all depends on who we bring in.

Would be happy with another 2nd place finish, but it's going to be a lot tougher this season - and another cup win wouldn't go amiss. Would be nice to also give Ivanauskas the chance to stamp his authority on the team without fear of random firings. Will any of this be enough for Romanov? Who knows...

having seen my club brought to its knees over these last few years i'm strangely optimistic for next season, a push for the conference play offs is not unreasonable as the manager is getting a pretty decent squad together even if it is lacking a bit of depth at the mo. and we're due a cup run watch out for us on match of the day in january....

incidently hibs fans did you know that konte one of your scorers yesterday was bought from cambridge for an undisclosed fee (probably a packet of cheese n onion crisps and a scotch egg), poor chap couldnt get in a team that was then 24th in league 2!!! its being discussed on the united messageboard tonight, though our then manager was pretty ruddy hopeless (he now manages notts county so they're a good bet for relegation next season!)

Guest Bob Double Jack
Dunfermline just signed Phil McGuire on a two-year deal' date=' is he a good signing?[/quote']

wife beater.

i heard from a highly reliable source that Phil McGuire got a 100000 signing on fee when he joined Doncaster.

I'm not sure yet when it comes to my beloved Jags - despite the fact that DC is STILL in charge, I can see us probably doing enough to stay up. Will have a better idea after the other two signings have been revealed, and I've seen us in action at Links Park (a week on Thursday, hope Maxi is there for half time banter) and at home to Accrington Stanley the Saturday after.

Oh, and another good cup run would be smashing........

i'm drinking my coffee out of an accrington stanley mug, you know your own team is shit when accrington stanley are in a higher division (we did beat them 3-1 last season mind...) shit got my 'duller than usual' hat on tonight and thats flipping dull.

i'll start talking about trip i made to carlisle united in 1996 soon...

coat deffo got

I'm about as optimistic as Dave about Aberdeen's hopes for the upcoming season. Unless players who were disappinting last season (Nicholson, Lovell, Mackie etc) suddenly improve we will struggle to get top 6.

McGuire will be a decent signing for the pars if he performs like he can and sorts out his personal life. Hopefull Scott Morrison will make a good comeback as well.

i'm drinking my coffee out of an accrington stanley mug' date=' you know your own team is shit when accrington stanley are in a higher division (we did beat them 3-1 last season mind...) shit got my 'duller than usual' hat on tonight and thats flipping dull.

i'll start talking about trip i made to carlisle united in 1996 soon...

coat deffo got[/quote']

I was due to head down to Lancaster City (of all places) this Saturday for the first Jags pre season friendly, the plan was to nip into the National Football museum in Preston while I was at it, shame the plan got aborted. I'll be going up to Allan Park instead to practise hurling abuse at Andy McLaren.......

My biggest adventure this year will likely be Queen Of The South - I reckon I might just be able to do it in a day, just hope we don't get thrashed because the journey back will be a fecking nightmare.....

I think the Dons will do well this season, against the odds!

Lovell, Nicholson, Mackie, and Smith will have good seasons if they can stay fit. Young Maguire looks a prospect. I think he'll be just as good as Maloney.

If the Dons can do the job against those they should be doing the job against, then a top 4 position will beckon!

If we start losing to the likes of St Minge then I think we could be looking for "a typical" season languishing in the lower half.

First round of pre-season friendlies yesterday' date=' here's some scores:

[/quote']

Second round of friendlies for some. Aberdeen beat Peterhead 4-1 (although Aberdeen players scored all 5 goals) and Caley beat some Italian part timers 12-0 earlier in the week.

Bad news for us is Serverin's out for the start of the season now as he needs a knee op. I'm annoyed at the lack of signings, especially as we've lost players but I still think if we can keep folk fit we'll do alright this year.

I was at the Elgin City v. Dons game yesterday - 5-0.

Byrne looks good as a left midfielder, rather than a left back- something i suggested last season.

Lovell was good, Chris Clark was good, Chris Macguire very good. Everyone else was pretty solid. Zander Diamond was dreadful.

I'm really looking forward to this season, and have great expectations for caley.

August 5th. Pittodrie. See you there!!

Yeah, I share your concerns about Zander. He showed loads of promise a few years ago but has been incredibly inconsistent since then. Still, better give him the benefit of the doubt for a new season at least.

I reckon Lovell will be awesome this year. McGuire will show what he can do and Crawford will have an OK season (maybe all wecan expect from him). I can see Mackie fading more into the background as the likes of McGuire come through. John Stewart and Ricky Foster will contunue to amuse and bemuse, and Anderson will cement his position as Scotland's finest central defender (Steven who?).

Let's be optimistic and say fourth place and a decent cup run for the Dons. If it all goes tits up we'll have something to whinge about over the winter and we can then enjoy another round of mindless transfer speculation from Calderwod come January, resulting in signing a dodgy left back from the Belgian second division who will play twice then break his leg.

Byrne baby Byrne!

Also bought my tickets for Scotland v. France today' date=' anyone else bought theirs yet?? Italy v. France is going to be a crazy crazy game, lets hope materazzi will be playing.[/quote']

Are they just on sale for the supporters club? Think I'm going to the Faroes, are they on sale yet?

Aye, they are just on sale for the supporters club at the minute. So expect the usual rush when the France tickets go on general sale for the public. Faroes Islands will be easy to get though since its at Parkhead.

I'd fully recommend joining the supporters club; i only joined last week, and for £40 i got my membership card and account, which guarantees "me plus 1" tickets for all home games, a dvd, key fob, free entry to hampden museum, plus half price to the under 21s (i.e. Pittodrie Under 21 game v. Faroes for me), plus discount for tops/shorts/socks/etc etc.

It was really simple getting tickets too, as i just ordered through the net using my membership number; and got to pick which seats i wanted from a map of hampden, so i know exactly where i'll be sitting.

Makes me wonder why i subjected myself to joining those queues outside Safeway at 3am to get tickets for the Scotland v. Holland game!!

Cheers' date=' I had the supporters club pack last month and was close to joining but decided against it for some reason. May have to reconsider now, I'm sure we can give the French a run for their money![/quote']

Membership runs to Dec 31st 2007, so that covers all the games for the qualifying campaign. :up:

Found this on the SFA website, though this might help some of those thinking of taking in a friendly or two this summer. I've deleted some, otherwise it would be a massive list; but i've tried to keep all the ones "local", and the ones that involve teams i know people support here.

Wednesday 12th July

Elgin City v Inverness CaledonianThistle, 7.45 pm

Huntly v Inverness Caledonian Thistle (U19s), 7.30 pm

Saturday 15th July

Arbroath v Peterhead, 3 pm

Brechin City v Montrose, 3 pm

Clyde v Rangers (Res), 3pm

Cove Rangers v Dundee, 3 pm

Dunfermline Athletic v Gretna, 2 pm

Forfar Athletic v St Johnstone, 3 pm

Fraserburgh v Ellon United JFC, 3 pm

Huntly v Hibernian, 3pm

Kilmarnock v Elgin City - to be played at Borough Briggs, 2pm

Ross County v Inverurie Loco Works - to be played at Borough Briggs, 4pm

Sunday 16th July

Keith v Dundee, 3 pm

Monday 17th July

Cowdenbeath v Dunfermline Athletic, 7.30 pm

Tuesday 18th July

Alloa Athletic v St Johnstone, 7.30pm

Keith v Banks O'Dee JFC, 7.30 pm

Livingston v Norwich City, 7.30pm

Peterhead v Inverness Caledonian Thistle, 7.30 pm

Wednesday 19th July

Brechin City v Dundee, 7.30 pm

Deveronvale v Inverness Caledonian Thistle, 7.30 pm

Forfar Athletic v Dundee United, 7.30 pm

Heart of Midlothian v CA Osasuna, 7.30pm

Huntly v Ross County, 7.30 pm

Raith Rovers v Falkirk, 7.30 pm

Thursday 20th July

Dunfermline Athletic v CA Osasuna, 6.15 pm

Kilmarnock v West Bromwich Albion, 7.45 pm

Livingston v Heart of Midothian, 7.45 pm

Montrose v Partick Thistle, 7.45 pm

Stenhousemuir v St Johnston, 7.30 pm

Friday 21st July

Fraserburgh v St Johnstone, 7.30 pm

Hamilton Academical v Rapid Bucharest, 7.45 pm

Saturday 22nd July

Albion Rovers v Celtic XI, 3 pm

Alloa Athletic v Partick Thistle, 2pm

Berwick Rangers v Heart of Midlothian XI, 3 pm

Dveronvale v Montrose, 3pm

Dundee v Dundee United, 3.15 pm

Dunfermline Athletic v Carlisle United, 2 pm

Elgin City v Peterhead, 3pm

Falkirk v Norwich City, 3pm

Forfar Athletic v Airdrie United, 3pm

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Ross County, 3 pm

Kilmarnock v Preston North End, 3pm

Rangers v Middlesbrough, 3pm

Stenhousemuir v Raith Rovers, 3pm

Threave Rovers v Kilmarnock, 2 pm

Sunday 23rd July

Celtic v Everton, 2pm

Inverurie Loco Works v St Johnstone, 2.30 pm

Motherwell v West Bromwich Albion, 3pm

Monday 24th July

Deveronvale v Ross County, 8 pm

Elgin City v Livingston, 7.45 pm

Greenock Morton v Sheffield United, 7.30 pm

Tuesday 25th July

Dunfermline Athletic v West Bromwich Albion, 7.45 pm

Falkirk v Airdrie United, 7.30 pm

Greenock Morton v Celtic XI, 7.30 pm

Nairn County v Livingston, 7.45 pm

St Mirren v Partick Thistle, 7.30 pm

Wednesday 26th July

Arbroath v Dundee United, 7.30 pm

Buckie Thistle v Ross County, 7.45 pm

Celtic v Manchester United, 7.45 pm

Montrose v Aberdeen XI, 7.30 pm

Thursday 27th July

Edinburgh University v Hibernian (U19), 7 pm

Huntly v Dundee United, 7.30 pm

Friday 28th July

Peterhead v Rangers (Res), 7.30 pm

Friday, 4th August

HAFC U19 International Youth Tournament - Group A

Cruzeiro (U19) v Hamilton Academical (U19), 6 pm

Group B, Bayer Leverkusen (U19) v Hibernian (U19), 8.15 pm

Saturday, 5th August

HAFC U19 International Youth Tournament, New Douglas Park, 10 am - 10 pm. Participating teams are Bayer Leverkusen, Blackburn Rovers,Cruzeiro, Hamilton Academical, Hibernian, West Ham United.

Sunday 6th August

HAFC U19 International Youth Tournament, New Douglas Park, 10 am - 4 pm. Participating teams are Bayer Leverkusen, Blackburn Rovers,Cruzeiro, Hamilton Academical, Hibernian, West Ham United.

Just out of interest' date=' how many professional clubs are there in Cambridgeshire?[/quote']

actually just two united and peterborough though last nights opponents histon might be pro now and cambridge city are semi pro, its a one off game played pre season (so not really a cup competition as such), it always used to be between cambridge united and city, but it has been known to leave the county entirely (e.g. when chester city came to the abbey and whipped our asses) and we havent won it since 1997 cos we havent played for it since then... and we've been so starved of any form of success in recent years that any cup (and as mickey mouse cups go this particular one is top of the pile) is worth celebrating!!! its a nice looking cup an all!

i shall take me trainspotting hat off now!