aberdeen-music

Grays School Of Art Degree Show

I reckon I'll try and have a look at this' date=' is it just at the art school? I was there a few years back and I wasn't all that impressed but it was probably just a bad year.

I'm pretty keen to have a look at the college photography section too.[/quote']

You should definatley go and go tonight if you can. No invites required as such... It's by far one of the bigger calendar events and a great buzz. Quite a few thousand turned up at last years opening, gets bigger every year. And its fun seeing all the new graduates walking around with a dazed look on their fizzogs... I'm getting nostalgic;( :woohoo:

You should definatley go and go tonight if you can. No invites required as such... It's by far one of the bigger calendar events and a great buzz. Quite a few thousand turned up at last years opening' date=' gets bigger every year. And its fun seeing all the new graduates walking around with a dazed look on their fizzogs... I'm getting nostalgic;( :woohoo:[/quote']

aye, just what he said

I went, and I didn't enjoy it as much as last year...I went with my cheque booking, hoping to pick up some nice original art works (picked up about 5 works last year)...but didn't see anything I thought "oooh, I have to have that" (in my price range)...

I did like yer speaker stack, but badly placed, as everyone seems to hang around at the entrance, so didn't get a good chance to look closely...I'm going back on tuesday night for a better swatch, might see something then to my taste on a second visit.

Pissed me off (as usual), to see so many philistines saying "have you been to sculpture" (sniggering)...but, too many works with not much "self explaination" to them...a fine balance, I think, is to make a profound statement, that people understand, without having to read the "concept" on a bit of paper, stuck next to the work...nes pas ?

Pissed me off (as usual)' date=' to see so many philistines saying "have you been to sculpture" (sniggering)...but, too many works with not much "self explaination" to them...a fine balance, I think, is to make a profound statement, that people understand, without having to read the "concept" on a bit of paper, stuck next to the work...nes pas ?[/quote']

Well said that man...

Sculpture as controversial, with a small c, as ever...

Never got a chance to see the show at all on Friday and never attend thinking I will...:up:

I did like yer speaker stack' date=' but badly placed, as everyone seems to hang around at the entrance, so didn't get a good chance to look closely...I'm going back on tuesday night for a better swatch, might see something then to my taste on a second visit.

[/quote']

Cheers, glad you liked it. it's supposed to be obstructive, hence the placement. But I dunno, I cant really look at anything any more, been looking at it all for too long now.

Yeah, the opening isnt the best time to see everything, waaaaaay too busy. As for the statements, I dont really like them but the tutors insist on us putting them in. I'm more interested in how other people see my stuff anyway.

I was gobsmacked by so many of the laughably bad but seriously expensive pieces on show.

I would like to see the statistics for former students who actually make a living selling or exhibiting their work.

How much does a stack of beaten up old hi fi speakers go for nowadays?.

I was gobsmacked by so many of the laughably bad but seriously expensive pieces on show.

I would like to see the statistics for former students who actually make a living selling or exhibiting their work.

The statistic is way higher than the amount of drummers scraping a buck!

Go cut and paste! :p

One of the pieces looked literally like a load of shit' date=' I hope they sell it to some pretentious sucker and piss up the money.[/quote']

artshit.jpg

"Artist's Shit was made at a time when Manzoni was producing a variety of works involving the fetishisation and commodification of his own body substances. These included marking eggs with his thumbprints before eating them, and selling balloons filled with his own breath (see Tate T07589). Of these works, the cans of Artist's Shit have become the most notorious, in part because of a lingering uncertainty about whether they do indeed contain Manzoni's faeces. At times when Manzoni's reputation has seen the market value of these works increase, such uncertainties have imbued them with an additional level of irony."

At one point, and may still do, held the same market value as gold!

my wife graduated 8 years ago and is still painting' date=' and making a living from it.

[img']http://www.northeastopenstudios.co.uk/images/artwork/Gabrielle%20Reith.jpg

artshit.jpg

"Artist's Shit was made at a time when Manzoni was producing a variety of works involving the fetishisation and commodification of his own body substances. These included marking eggs with his thumbprints before eating them' date=' and selling balloons filled with his own breath (see Tate T07589). Of these works, the cans of Artist's Shit have become the most notorious, in part because of a lingering uncertainty about whether they do indeed contain Manzoni's faeces. At times when Manzoni's reputation has seen the market value of these works increase, such uncertainties have imbued them with an additional level of irony."

At one point, and may still do, held the same market value as gold![/quote']

I believe some of these have been exploding, because they did, indeed, contain Manzoni's faeces. Makes looking at them in a gallery more exciting!!!

I just got back from the degree show, exploration in the 4rth dimension was the best for me, think thats what it was called, good stuff like, nae too expensive either, number 5 (i think) i liked the best :). Was speaking to the girl about the homeless person cardboard box seat, thats a great idea, twas a runner up for the BP thing? fashion stuff was good too.

was gonna go down tonight but i'm knackered so it'll be later in the week. the photography exhibition went up today at college. just a wee reminder that it is open to the public from wednesday to friday 10 till 9 for the first two days and 10 till 3 on the friday.

i think it's really strong this year(not including my own work) and is maybe even better than last years one. i've landed one of the rubbish spots where you have to be standing in an entrance to look at my first board properly but thems the breaks.

I believe some of these have been exploding' date=' because they did, indeed, contain Manzoni's faeces. Makes looking at them in a gallery more exciting!!![/quote']

And some insurance company accused the gallery of 'leaving them sitting in direct sunlight', apparently.

"Please avoid placing these cans of poop in direct sunlight for any extended periods of time"