aberdeen-music

T BREAK - outrageous!!!

that guy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Neubeatz
Well for all intent and purpose' date=' we are from stonehaven....but we are an aberdeen band, simply because its not like there is a music scene in stonehaven, we have never played there etc...[/quote']

I hear there's a good gig there on Fri night, :up:

he might come accross on here these days as arrogant...

but he pulls the commercial music strings in scotland now

hes allowed to' date=' trust him, he knows

;)[/quote']

Hah... nah i sat in on two nights of T break judging of which 2 Aberdeen bands were in the pot.

pull no strings.. all i did was get Animal Collective on T.

Out of genuine interest (and not sour grapes) what criteria makes the process and how do the judges make their decisions for t-break? i wonder how it gets discussed coz if they have 1000 cds to get through im thinking it must be a nightmare! does anyone know?

im just curious and not taking the piss at all.how is it done?

do they try and put through a balance of styles? like in the last two years from listening to the show, theyve had a heap of guitar bands and then a random hip hop act thrown in towards the end.theres also a distinct lack of solo artists get through but then maybe these types of people just havent been applying much. Last year there seemed like a lot of samey bands but this year was much more varied.

Id like to think that the location of a band has no bearing on a decision and that its down to the quality of the demos musicality i.e - songs. Aberdeens scene is really good and has improved massively in the last few years (in my opinion, just take the last two weeks gig roster bonnie prince billy, hope of the states, morrisey, brakes, forward russia, son of dave and i like trains all in the same week and now tryptich!). Maybe people at T dont know that weve actually got a tidy wee scene going on! Just my opinion tho.

Anyway,

Its a shame no other bands from Aberdeen got through (from the ones I know, enough applied) coz itd be good exposure but massive well done to Project:Ven Hell for getting through and good luck for the heats.

Also, a band who got through that we played with in 13th Note last week called Attic Lights are playing Gonorth, everyone should go see them coz theyre damn good harmonies and nice folk to match!

in my opinion' date=' just take the last two weeks gig roster bonnie prince billy, hope of the states, morrisey, brakes, forward russia, son of dave and i like trains all in the same week and now tryptich[/quote']

the calibre of gigs in aberdeen has improved ten fold

however the problem is still that we dotn have enough good local acts out there trying to make any impact in their chosen paths

this may change with the introduction of myspace. gig swaps are way more frequent now

Hah... nah i sat in on two nights of T break judging of which 2 Aberdeen bands were in the pot.

pull no strings.. all i did was get Animal Collective on T.

ha ha ha

you are doing ariel pink?

i would also urge you to book noxagt for september if i were in your shoes

www.myspace.com/noxagt

impressive is not the word, and you will have very little problems in getting people along to it

word on the street is an upcoming band causing slight ripples from up this way will be tour support

;)

Guest Gasss
Small Enclosed Area and AKA the fox have also played T Break... I think Staccatto Set have too. We were asked to enter a couple of years back.

Balls to Aberdeen bands being excluded... it's just that very few actually enter.

Don't forget The Needles and Lift. :up:

ah yes' date=' I knew I'd missed out a few.

There's probably more.[/quote']

Atom Flask.

Not sure if there is a central belt bias as it would make no sense, surely, as there is no additional expense for a band travelling from up here and contrary to what the conspiracy theorists say there is no big central belt club looking after their own. There are bands and acts that don't need to play the heats and there are insiders that will be organising in favour of a breaking act, its a business after all, for better or worse.

I don't think, as mentioned, that Aberdeen has done too bad to be honest. It's not a big city and proprtionately probably showing a good hand. Does suck to see bands getting through for whatever reason knowing that there are better bands with mates in them. Maybe its diveristy they look for, who knows but there will always be disgruntled folk. I'm on the 'kick up the arse team'. Complacency is a deil:up:

On the Radio last year we were described as being from Kirkaldy, just because Tina had used her home address, as she was moving house. I've never even been there and I don't like Linoleum anyway. But it said Aberdeen in some of the press bumf, and as far as I'm concerned we were representing for the deen then. I'm the only Aberdonian in the Fox though.

T-Break Outrageous!

Breaking news: T-Break announce a new "outrageous" version of the famous "shitty little bands" competition featuring go-go dancing girls* Jesus and Jerry Springer.

Yeah motherfucker!

*from aberdeen