aberdeen-music

need drumming help!!!!

Guest emoth_gurl

Guest emoth_gurl

hey guys! does anyone know where i can get decent drum lessons!? cause i dunno where 2 start!! if u guys could give me some tips it would be a great help!

thanks

emoth_gurl

xxxxxxx

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will teach you faster and cheaper than anyone else,see me in action at The Moorings tonight with http://www.16again.co.uk/ I have noticed that several Aberdeen tutors spin out lessons for months,my aim is to teach quickly so that people can jam or gig ASAP .

Several people I taught went on to form succesful bands ,I think that is more important than having a bit of paper that says I can drum .

Give me links to bands you want to play, with Artist ,song name, and playing time,I'll track them down, and I will teach you how to play them,no Jazz or stupid, boring, metal, double kick pedal action.

I can teach you at a local recording studio,a room with drum kit and cymbals is around ten quid an hour,what would you expect to pay me on top of that for an hour long lesson?.

By the way how much is a beginners hour long lesson nowadays?

any. as long as they are decent lol' date=' but the thing is i dont have my own drum kit................[/quote']

Do yourself a favour and follow the advice previously posted(see below).

Check out Sound Ideas' date=' above Beans on Union Street. Nick is great, highly qualified and a top bloke, but I suspect he may be booked up. If so, ask in Bruce Millers.[/quote']

bore you to death with sight reading and you will give up as it will not be fun.

:up: too true.

emoth girl - you can only learn from your mistakes . . . many great drummers can play with all the compassion in the world but not have a fucking clue about the technical side ( i.e sight reading )

playing an instrument is all creating music from inside your heart.

Enthusiasm + Patience + imagination = the road to success

:up: too true.

emoth girl - you can only learn from your mistakes . . . many great drummers can play with all the compassion in the world but not have a fucking clue about the technical side ( i.e sight reading )

playing an instrument is all creating music from inside your heart.

Enthusiasm + Patience + imagination = the road to success

Enthusiasm + patience + education + imagination = a well rounded player.

Don't do it' date='they will play Jazz and bore you to death with sight reading and you will give up as it will not be fun.[/quote']

Biz...will you cease with this shite where you diss every decent, respected drum teacher in the city in preference to your yourself. Nick Gibson and Archer Kemp are both mates of mine, and I've had lessons with both over extended periods. Not one bit of my time with them was either wasted or boring.

You may be an excellent teacher for all i know, but your refusal to acknowledge grade exams, jazz etc as being worthwhile, suggests to me that your credentials aren't up there with Nick and Archers.

Focus on the good things YOU can do, not beating down on everyone else.

Jazz is more often than not self indulgent wank,reading sucks, to me gigging different styles is where it's all at,and I won't go into specifics but some local tutors can not even tune or set up a kit,let alone teach someone how to be gig ready in less than 6 hours.

What's the point in reading drum music? it's dreary and wastes time you could spend hitting drums.I know what I'm on about as I actually do it,and Recommend Rhythm Magazine if you are into reading as opposed to listening.

I've been to drum clinics and seen so called world class drummers disgrace themselves by being ill prepared and making mistakes left right and centre.

I doubt if you will find anyone as passionate about drumming as me,I simply want to pass on my skills without spinning out lessons for months or charging an arm and a leg teaching skills that will more often than not be invalid in the real world of jamming and gigging.

Biz, you only say 'reading sucks' because you've obviously never quite got the grasp of it.

I can play most styles, i don't like Jazz much but can appreciate that a lot of Jazz drummers are fucking excellent. Unlike people that can't read music, I can walk into any situatuion, whether it's sight-reading or busking & get on with the job.

If any drum tutor ever said to me that reading sucks I would SERIOUSLY doubt their professionalism and would go and find someone else. Enough people think that drummers aren't musicians & you are proving them right.

Jazz is more often than not self indulgent wank

Agreed. Some of it is self-indulgent. However' date=' a huge number of the world's elite drummers (eg. Weckl, Colaiuta, Cobham, Chambers, Donati) learnt there trade playing jazz. Most of those who didn't at least have an appreciation of how difficult jazz is to play properly.

There is a massive amount of technical skill required AND musicianship to be gained from studying jazz. Fair enough, it might not be everyone's bag, but discounting it all as pointless "wank" is way off the mark.

What's the point in reading drum music?

I learned to read music years ago. It won't make you instantly make you a better player, but it opens up lots of doors. Do I regularly have to read when i gig? Never...but what it has allowed me to do is make use of all the excellent books that exist on different styles etc. Learning to read music is IMO a must. You think otherwise, but you're honestly the only drum tutor I've ever heard of that thinks so.

I've been to drum clinics and seen so called world class drummers disgrace themselves by being ill prepared and making mistakes left right and centre.

What's your point? Did they fuck up because they're not good players? Did they fuck up because they studied jazz' date=' or went to music college? Everyone has a bad night.....god knows why this is relevant.

I simply want to pass on my skills without spinning out lessons for months

It DOES take months to teach someone properly to play drums. The reason that most tutors take this long is to give students ample time in between lessons to digest the material and work on what they've been taught. Anyone can give someone a 6-hour crash course to get them up and running....whether it actually gives them the tools to improve their own technique and broaden their playing is another matter.

I'm not trying to denigrate what you're trying to do, in fact I think you deserve a huge pat on the back for offering to teach for peanuts....as I said, you're probably an excellent player. But you're knocking just about every universally-held maxim about drum tuition, and IMO some of your comments need to be reality-checked.

Yes my beliefs are a bit controversial but I get great results by making tuition fun.

I started playing drums at 15 years old and was taught to sight read and drum with pipe band music.

One of the best drummers I have seen was Buddy Rich ,and he played Jazz and Big Band music.

I had left handed students,so set up the kits left handed and taught myself how to be ambidextrous.

Several of my students have gigged all over the UK and been on several radio stations,even appearing in John Peels festive 50 on several occasions.

I have gigged with dozens of bands on hundreds of occasions .

Drumming is fun,I just think that reading sucks and Jazz solos are cringeworthy - unless it's Buddy Rich doing circular single handed rolls round the kit,and even then,it's not the sort of thing you get the chance to use much,unless you do solos,which I don't as they usually make even the best drummer seem like a bit of a nerd.

I occasionally write out complex pieces as homework ,but usually teach folk how to listen and copy what they hear.

I will not teach Jazz or double kick drums or reading,to me they are self indulgent and often detract from playing in a group situation but can be fun on your own.